Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I may be in the market for a set of wheels this winter for my GT1000. Currently I'm running the stock steel wheels. I'd like to experience the performance advantage of changing to a lighter wheel. Also, I'd like to change to tubeless tires and get away from a spoke wheel altogether.

There are all kinds of options on ebay (especially for Marchesinis), but I don't know what model of Ducati is closest to matching the GT1000 (lots of 748/998 or 749/999 options etc.). I'd like to make the most economical decision; however, I don't want to skimp on one of the most important parts of the bike either.

I'd love to hear your suggestions and thanks!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The most economical is 3 spoke Brembos from a Multistrada, an ST, an SS, or a Monster. You should be able to find a pair in the vicinity of $300-$350. 5 spoke wheels are a little lighter and will probably cost you $100-$200 more.

For all the details of installation, search this site. We've done lots of discussion about this.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm also looking for other wheels for my Paul Smart.

I like the Alpina's very much, but I can't find an importer for them in my country and I don't like to buy a wheel directly from the brand. If there are any problems, you're screwed.

My Ducati dealer advices Excel wheels, but I can't fnd their site.
Anybody has the url ? Or does anybody have any advice on those wheels ?
Also my dealer says that losing 1kg in the front and 1.8kg in the back with those Alpina's is not so much

·
Registered
985 Posts
At the risk of being a bit of a broken record, any wheels other than traditional spoked wheels are going to kill the retro look of your GT. You might be able to find someone replacing their Paul Smart stock wheels and make them an offer. These have been wonderful on my bike. They look right, and vastly improve the compliance of the otherwise stock suspension. I no longer feel the need for a steering damper, as the bike's original occasional squirrely high speed handling and tendancy to head shake are cured.

These also are bolt on replacements, with no modification to wheels or bike needed. The brake discs bolt right on, and the rear cushion drive slides right into place.

I've also noticed that the Paul Smart wheel spokes are not corroding as those on the stock GT wheels did.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I fitted 5 spoke Marchesini's (of a S2R I think) to my bike and I can tell you that going from the "light weight alloy SC spoke wheels" to cast wheels was a huge improvement.

I no longer feel the need for a steering damper, as the bike's original occasional squirrely high speed handling and tendancy to head shake are cured.
No disrespect or arguement intended but I sincerely hope you dont push hard enough on the wrong road to eat your own words with that statement - Good luck.

I've also noticed that the Paul Smart wheel spokes are not corroding as those on the stock GT wheels did.
I'm positive you WILL eat your own word's with that one.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have forged aluminum marchesinis on mine, same as on a 999R. They were pricey but they are 20lbs lighter than stock sport 1000 wheels, so it's an even bigger weight save from the GT wheels. You can also find regular 999 wheels for cheaper (used on ebay), but they are cast, not forged, and a little heavier, but still a huge difference from stock.

verdict: the bike is obviously lighter and basically does everything better. and you have the added benefit of being able to fit bigger break calipers, which is great because the stock are a little weak IMO.

look in the recent postings regarding OZ wheels. this is a nice option that I didn't know about before... very sporty look for a GT maybe
but I think they look dope.

another cheaper alternative which is popular is Carrozzeria. They also come with the 4p brembo calipers if you get the "Paul smart kit". Although I've been told they are a bit of a headache to fit...

Alpinas are very nice. you go tubeless and can fit bigger calipers while keeping the spoke look. But in comparison with other options, the weight save for the money isn't very impressive, although on GT it's more significant than on a sport 1000.

cheers!
D.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Running BST's on my GT1000. Has it killed the retro look? I hardly notice them...
Your bike bears little resemblance to a GT, so the look of the wheels hardly matters.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm also looking for other wheels for my Paul Smart.

I like the Alpina's very much, but I can't find an importer for them in my country and I don't like to buy a wheel directly from the brand. If there are any problems, you're screwed.

My Ducati dealer advices Excel wheels, but I can't fnd their site.
Anybody has the url ? Or does anybody have any advice on those wheels ?
Also my dealer says that losing 1kg in the front and 1.8kg in the back with those Alpina's is not so much
Look here…

http://www.excelwheels.de/home.htm

http://www.excel-felge.at/

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just saw that Lockhart Phillips has a lot of stuff on eBay.. speedymoto bits, and some wheels like these aluminum marchesinis. $1,364 for the pair. (I'm not sure if these would fit sport classics, etc.. dyodd)

edited to add... if you go through bing.com and search for "ipod" and click the ebay ad you'll get 8% off of buy-it-now auctions. That'd save you about 100 bucks on those wheels. .. so around $1,250 for a new pair of wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts