Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

wheel question

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Danbuc 
Pictures and info about what forks, calipers, wheel, etc would help.

Is it a 916 style fork, 848/1098 style? Marchesini 5 spoke?

The axle end I can see has the two notches the regular 916 style front axle has so it looks like it might just be the regular 25mm axle just running the smaller 16.5 Marchesini wheel.

Based on that, I would think it should be no problem to just pick up a 17" 916 style front wheel and swap the rotors over to it. You could run a later 848 style Marchesini as well, but you'd have to get the right rotors for it.

Axle is 25mm straight across to the big end that sits in the left fork bottom.

The gsxr wheel prob didn't fit as it might be too wide. The duc ohlins front ends usually run 15mm offset rotors. Gxsr has less offset I believe with possibly a wider wheel. If the forks are set up to run the duc 25mm superbike axle you'd have to source a duc front wheel to get the right width to work with the deep offset rotors.

Yeah, 848 up is 5 bolt rotor I believe.

If his front wheel is the standard track ( not wide track) then those rotors should be the 15mm offset Brembo HP's I would imagine. Similar as on my 748R.

I'll Go with you till a certain point.
We see a small track wheel,
We see radials, till this point.... the offset has to be 15mm.
But.., we also see Brembo SBK small track rotors.

These rotors are THE Brembo SBK rotors and I've never seen them in another offset then 10.5mm.
I know that trackbikes often use spacers, I've got a set laying around myself. Or the JHP forkbottoms are machined that way to accept a 10.5mm. Rotor.
^what he said lol.

After looking at the second pics I'm inclined to agree with you on the whole on this one. It does look as though there may be a thin spacer behind the rotor there. Would he just have to swap the spacer and rotors over to the stand track 17" wheel then to maintain correct offset? Seems simple enough.

godzuki, it does seem that clean stock 5spoke marchesini's do cammand someone of a premium as most probably get pretty beat up over their lifetime before the bike is parted, crashed, or the wheels are swapped out for something nicer.

If you have the dough to snag a Marvic standard track width duc front wheel to match the rear I say just go that route. The OE 5spokes aren't really all that light anyway, and you'll appreciate the handling of the Marvic more I'm sure.

You can usually find a straight 3spoke for pretty cheap most times. They pop up here every now and then, but ebay is usually littered with them lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.