Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ducati front end on my bike its a ex race bike, and it came with 16.5 inch marchesini wheels, well im not going to be racing it that much lol any more so i want 17" wheels for it, now my rear from my old bike works fine, but i have no ideal how to figure out what front wheel i have. i know its not the oem for the bike, because that almost wont even fit in there, the wheel IS a 6 bolt for the rotors but is there a way to figure out for sure or could some body measure thier wheels for me, OR unless ofcourse somebody might even be close enough i could grab my wheel and bring it to them to compair the 2.

any help appreciated

thank you.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Pictures and info about what forks, calipers, wheel, etc would help.

Is it a 916 style fork, 848/1098 style? Marchesini 5 spoke?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i belive its a 916/ 996/ 998 fork, the front fender it seems is a exact match for that modle. the fork bottoms though were JHP machined to allow radial mounting.

here are some pic's.

ill try to get one of the wheel and axle later

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The axle end I can see has the two notches the regular 916 style front axle has so it looks like it might just be the regular 25mm axle just running the smaller 16.5 Marchesini wheel.

Based on that, I would think it should be no problem to just pick up a 17" 916 style front wheel and swap the rotors over to it. You could run a later 848 style Marchesini as well, but you'd have to get the right rotors for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the 25mm to the outside of the axle. the newer wheels are the 5 bolt pattern correct.

yea i have been looking at them on ebay to see average prices. i want to pick up a cheap OEM one to make sure thats what it is then ill buy a matching marvic piuma 5 spoke to the 17 i have for the rear. the bike came with those 16.5 which worked great at grattan the whole bike ran and handled better than anything ive ever thrown a leg over, but i run both the track and the street. i had the 17 marvic left over from my last gsxr, so ive already got that, but when i went to mount up a OEM front wheel for this year gsxr it almost wouldnt even fit between the forks lol, then i rememberd the PO told me the forks where from a ducati super bike BUT he didnt know which one he forgot. the guy who built the bike told him at when he bought it but i could tell, this kid didnt realy pay attention to that he was more than likely only looking at the rwhp it put out and got all excited. the team that had the bike spared nothing in building it.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Axle is 25mm straight across to the big end that sits in the left fork bottom.

The gsxr wheel prob didn't fit as it might be too wide. The duc ohlins front ends usually run 15mm offset rotors. Gxsr has less offset I believe with possibly a wider wheel. If the forks are set up to run the duc 25mm superbike axle you'd have to source a duc front wheel to get the right width to work with the deep offset rotors.

Yeah, 848 up is 5 bolt rotor I believe.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I guess you are lucky!
As far as I can see those are the small track rotors on the bike.
These are the Real Racing Brembo's, rare and pretty expensive.
600+ USD p/rotor.
So you have a small track wheel with small track axle and small track triples
Your swap to a Road Marchesini or Brembo 5 spoke will be plug and play.

IMO in your case, stay away from the 848 style wheels!
You can't use your own rotors and these are awesome!!!
It's not only the 5 bolt pattern on the 848 style rotors, they also have another offset.
As far as I can know (your) small track Brembo's are 10,5mm. offset vs. 15mm. on the 848.
So if these are the Brembo's with 10.5mm. offset you'll have to change the fork bottoms as well when swapping to an 848 style wheel.
(not when your rotors are 15mm. offset but I've never heard of it)

Most of the time you'll see the 16,5" wide track wheels and thats another story.
For wide track on a road bike there is nothing to swap, everything is exclusive but nobody wants it. Except for the RS fanatics these are the real wide track bikes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
there is a guy here that has a mag front wheel from sbk with the wider center forsale may be you could used that one?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If his front wheel is the standard track ( not wide track) then those rotors should be the 15mm offset Brembo HP's I would imagine. Similar as on my 748R.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If his front wheel is the standard track ( not wide track) then those rotors should be the 15mm offset Brembo HP's I would imagine. Similar as on my 748R.
I'll Go with you till a certain point.
We see a small track wheel,
We see radials, till this point.... the offset has to be 15mm.
But.., we also see Brembo SBK small track rotors.

These rotors are THE Brembo SBK rotors and I've never seen them in another offset then 10.5mm.
I know that trackbikes often use spacers, I've got a set laying around myself. Or the JHP forkbottoms are machined that way to accept a 10.5mm. Rotor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
these rotors only have a slight offset on them, no where near as much as my old 92 gsxr, the OEM front gsxr wheels have straight rotors no offset and theyway to wide they just barely fit between the forks. im going to try and pick up a use OEM 748/ 916/ 996/ 998 front wheel off of ebay, and plug it in there and see if it fits. one thing ive noticed is that the average realy nice wheel on ebay is 400 to 600 bucks for a OEM what gives on that, i can get the marvic Piuma magnesium for 900 bucks, this will match the rear piuma from my old gsxr. are the OEM's just that hard to come by a realy nice one. im going out to the garage in a bit to work on fitting some remus revolution carbon cans to my ktm 950 adv s and ill get some more detailed shots and ill try to do some measuring on the wheel to from side to side on the hub and then ill do center to center on the rotor bolts and then width from center to center on the rotors as they are mounted on the wheel. and ill measure the axle. speaking of that axle i see the one end right hand side of the bike has these little divits and 2 holes what are those for. also do they make a tool to help with pulling the axle out.

again thank you guys for all this info, this is the first site ive been to that ive gotten some real advise on what ive got and where to go from here with.

i do plan on keeping the 16.5 wheel set for track days with slicks mounted because damn was that fun at grattan on this bike, it was the most composed smootest thing ive ever rode out there, even my old race bikes pale in compairison to how this bike rode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry i was at the inlaws posting and well the father inlaws laptop has ehhh something to bedesired shall we say lol.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'll Go with you till a certain point.
We see a small track wheel,
We see radials, till this point.... the offset has to be 15mm.
But.., we also see Brembo SBK small track rotors.

These rotors are THE Brembo SBK rotors and I've never seen them in another offset then 10.5mm.
I know that trackbikes often use spacers, I've got a set laying around myself. Or the JHP forkbottoms are machined that way to accept a 10.5mm. Rotor.
^what he said lol.

After looking at the second pics I'm inclined to agree with you on the whole on this one. It does look as though there may be a thin spacer behind the rotor there. Would he just have to swap the spacer and rotors over to the stand track 17" wheel then to maintain correct offset? Seems simple enough.

godzuki, it does seem that clean stock 5spoke marchesini's do cammand someone of a premium as most probably get pretty beat up over their lifetime before the bike is parted, crashed, or the wheels are swapped out for something nicer.

If you have the dough to snag a Marvic standard track width duc front wheel to match the rear I say just go that route. The OE 5spokes aren't really all that light anyway, and you'll appreciate the handling of the Marvic more I'm sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ill pull a rotor off as soon as i get a chance to see if there is a thin spacer in there.

i was thinking of just getting the OEM standard 3 spoke not the 5 as ive seen those are far more rare. i just wanted to get one to get the bike rolling on some decent street rubber then once i know for sure exactly what wheel i need id order a new piuma marvic 17. yea i know all about how much nicer the light weight wheels are, once i tried them 1 time, i was hooked, i didnt even want to ride a bike without having them on it lol.

say is anybody on here anywhere near south bend IN, i would be willing to drive a bit even to have somebody who knows or would know after looking at it forsure what it is i have.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
You can usually find a straight 3spoke for pretty cheap most times. They pop up here every now and then, but ebay is usually littered with them lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts