Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NJ, a wonderful state where the gov't loves to interfere on all levels of private life. You can't buy a BB gun without a permit. Love it. Anyway, I'm used to the state car inspection process where they test all sorts of things like emissions, brakes, suspension, gas caps, check for rust, horn, lights, etc. And it can all be done at the facilities offered by the state.

I was therefore surprised to see how little is actually covered in the state motorcycle inspection. They check for lights (head lights, blinkers, and brakes) and the horn. That's it. I'm not sure what else they could check, maybe emissions and the engine shut-off, or that the brakes actually work. But it made me wonder what other states do. What does your state check for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here in California, as long as your car has 3-4 wheels and sometimes works, you can drive it on the road.

I've never in my life been subject to any kind of inspection, other then the mandatory smog check where the ram some hose up your exhaust pipe and run some computer and see how much pollution you are throwing out there.

But as to like a safety inspection, or anything like that, we have nothing like that at all. In fact, I have relatives from Sweden who come here and say that a ton of carrs we see on the road would never be allowed on the road back home.

Ah yes, to be a hair away from going bankrupt as a state, oh joy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No state inspections here in Alabama and you can tell by looking at some of the vehicles on our roads !

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In michigan, as long as you have proof of insurance and your check for registration doesn't bounce, you're good to go.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Just had mine done, it expired 7/09. They check the basics just as an automobile...tires, lights, turn signals, brake lights brake pads. My rear tire failed so that was an unexpected $200. Also you must provide a valid insurance and registration card to the inspection station or they won't do it. It cost $24, pass or fail. So dealers are cool and will tell you what it needs to pass before inspecting it. Some will inspect it, fail it, then tell you what it needs. But I've only ever heard of 1 dealer who actually did that! It's only required once a year!

·
comrade moderator
26,764 Posts
NY does the headlight, taillight, blinkers, horn...there may be a bunch more, but the shops up here don't get too uptight about it all.
I don't bother anymore. I'll eat the fix-it ticket if I get stopped, and I haven't been stopped in years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Missouri, where I now live, requires an inspection. Fairly rudimentary, I am told.

I have a question. Do states require that you put an inspection sticker on your bike? Can you hide it in an unobtrusive place?

Rob Feightner
2005 999 Yellow Mono

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Missouri, where I now live, requires an inspection. Fairly rudimentary, I am told.

I have a question. Do states require that you put an inspection sticker on your bike? Can you hide it in an unobtrusive place?

Rob Feightner
2005 999 Yellow Mono
Yes, has to be visable and on the left side front. Mine is low on the fork tube. It can hardly be seen, but haven't been pulled for it. It is colored and has the expiration date-my new one is 7/10.
When I was a cop it was amazing how many cars and motorcycles we caught w/ counterfiet inspection stickers! Both a safety and emission for cars, and a safety for bikes. The counterfiets usually go for $200 a pair to sometimes $35-depending on how well they were done! Hey w/ insurance rates so costly, it was realtively cheap but illegal way to get your car on the road. I even caught a cop out of phliadelphia w/ bad stickers! Usually the color faded and were easy to spot-still some were very good.:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
In NH, all motorcycles need a sticker every year. All bikes expire 6/30. Small sticker goes on the fork tube and you will get busted without one. Basic inspection, lights, tires, brakes, horn, and a decibel meter on the exhaust.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In Louisiana, there's an inspection sticker every year for your car. They check emissions, make sure your lights work, done. $20 in about 15min. No inspection required for bikes. Insurance is required on cars, but nothing on bikes (we were really close to Mississippi, and they don't require insurance at all).

In Florida, there's no inspection for cars OR bikes. Insurance is required on cars but not bikes. There is no helmet law either. They only require 'eye protection' (sunglasses).

·
Registered
511 Posts
As mentioned above, Ca requires you to give them money, and awwwaaaaaaay you go. You don't even need a license or registration, but you are supposed to have some sort of insurance, but ask any illegal alien, you don nid nothin.

·
Official Retired Person
7,377 Posts
North Carolina does the safety stuff on bikes and cars: lights, tires, brakes (pedal pressure anyway!), etc. Cars also get emission check but it's all done thru the OBDII plug now. Inspection stickers have been dropped this year. When registration renewal comes due (annually), the vehicle must get inspected (and insurance compliance is verified at that time, too) prior to renewal issued. All compliance verification done via state computer systems!

Computers are going to make your life easier!

Sounds real good but people still figure ways around it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Az

Being retired military, I've had the experience of registering vehicles in many states. The Commonfrigginwealth of VA, was by far the strictest with its inspections. AZ, where I live now, on the other hand, is pretty lenient. No inspections, but these AZ-cracks make up for it in taxes! It just cost me $380 in July to register my 2006 G35 for one year! I guess I get a discount for my 2000 996. That's only going to cost me $69 this month.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is no inspection here in Florida. You can ride an unsafe pile of junk if you like. That why we have 2 bike weeks a year. :D

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Mass has an annual inspection of bikes, $20, lights,horn, signals, brakes and tires. Basic safety stuff. Cars, same thing plus emissions. Safety inspection is to keeps the rat traps off the road to keep other people safe from getting hit by crap falling of off a POS in front of you on the highway. An inconvenience but better than someones tailpipe coming off in front of your bike.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Texas has a sticker that gets attached near the license plate, they just check the safety stuff (lights, brakes, horn & tires) no emissions like the cars but you do have to provide proof of insurance. If you fail you pay anyway but they allow you to get it fixed and bring it back for re-inspection at no extra charge.

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
Pennsylvania has yearly inspections for cars and bikes. Bike gets lights, horn, brake pad thickness & tires. No emissions. Cost for the bike varies by shop, some charge $10.00 some $20. You get a sticker to be placed on the left front fork. Cars get full inspection plus emissions, cost is around $85.00 pass or fail.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ohio = nothing. Pay your yearly registration and go about your business. Same for cars and bikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts