Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some discussions on helmets lately. So, I like to know, what your main helmet is and do you still like it, or do you have your sites set on a new lid...and if so, what? Please post the make and model...thank you in advance! Any strengths or weaknesses; ie. favorite brand, venting, wind noise, comfort level, solid full-face or modular/flip up design, any fogging issues, removable padding, price range, ease of face shield change, graphics or solid color, whatever.

I've been trying to read some reviews lately as I'm thinking of replacing my AGV Demon Top for something new. I posted a thread on a Nolan modular helmet in the gear review forum...but so far only zooom replied so I figured I'd get some more feedback/input by asking everyone here what your favorite helmet is.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
BlueST2 said:
I've noticed some discussions on helmets lately. So, I like to know, what your main helmet is and do you still like it, or do you have your sites set on a new lid...and if so, what? Please post the make and model...thank you in advance! Any strengths or weaknesses; ie. favorite brand, venting, wind noise, comfort level, solid full-face or modular/flip up design, any fogging issues, removable padding, price range, ease of face shield change, graphics or solid color, whatever.

I've been trying to read some reviews lately as I'm thinking of replacing my AGV Demon Top for something new. I posted a thread on a Nolan modular helmet in the gear review forum...but so far only zooom replied so I figured I'd get some more feedback/input by asking everyone here what your favorite helmet is.

Cheers

Thomas
This subject has been beaten to death and talked about in other threads. Do a search under "Arai" and the threads should pop up. Also discussed in the archives, the old site, so to speak.

I don't think anyone is interested in going over it again. Some might, but not many.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/search.php?searchid=55896

Old site:

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/search.php?Cat=http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/dosearch.php

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
What fits me may not work for you. I think a helmet is one piece of equipment that you are just going to have to try on yourself to see what best fits you. All of the "Gee Whiz" features in the world won't make up for a sore head from an ill fitting helmet at the end of a ride.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RotoRooterGuy said:
This subject has been beaten to death and talked about in other threads. Do a search under "Arai" and the threads should pop up. Also discussed in the archives, the old site, so to speak.

I don't think anyone is interested in going over it again. Some might, but not many.
Fair enough. I do usually do a thread search before posting, and I did read the "Arai" thread, the "how tight should my helmet be" thread as well as the "routine helmet replacement" thread but did not find the info I was seeking other than the Arai helmet have troubles which is why I posted here. Please ignore this thread as I'll look deeper in to the archives. Sorry, I'm really not looking to beat an ole' horse to death.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
BlueST2 said:
Fair enough. I do usually do a thread search before posting, and I did read the "Arai" thread, the "how tight should my helmet be" thread as well as the "routine helmet replacement" thread but did not find the info I was seeking other than the Arai helmet have troubles which is why I posted here. Please ignore this thread as I'll look deeper in to the archives. Sorry, I'm really not looking to beat an ole' horse to death.

Cheers!
I was simply saying do an Arai search because in all the helmet discussions over the past two years, Arai is always included. You could just as easily enter some other helmet name and see what comes up.

In the old threads/site there was extensive discussion by various members on the helmets they liked. I think it was where they were talking about helmet pricing and safety. As I recall, every helmet known to man came up in the thread, that is, brand and preference.

In the end, there is no one helmet that is better than the other since any helmet that cost $200 or more is going to be safe. It's then just a matter of fit, style, comfort, etc. on the particular rider's head.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
I just bought a Shark, nice lid

·
comrade moderator
27,056 Posts
Arai helmets don't have troubles. They are one of the best money can buy. There are a very vocal few who have had troubles with Arais...much the same as Ducati owners, actually. If you were to believe everything we read on here, it's amazing anybody actually buys a Ducati at all. Arai gets the same treatment it seems.

I cannot recommend Arai helmets enough. Yes, you have to go to a dealer, but that's because Arai makes four different shells for diferent heads, and if you aren't familiar with the helmets, you stand a good chance of wearing the wrong helmet.
I'm not entirely sure if I agree 100% with their policies, but I understand why they did what they did in regards to internet sales.

Arais tend to be a bit noisier than other brands, but in my case I wear earplugs 100% of the time so that's not a worry. Plus, any well vented helmet will be noisy. I have no problems with the shield change mechanisim, and can change shields with the helmet on my head. But that's me, and this is about you.

I can recommend you spend as much as possible for the new lid. The expensive stuff is expensive for a reason.

Spend some time at Helmet Harbor's site. They test fully what they sell, and only sell the good stuff from their manufacturers. Try on everything you can get your hands on, and good luck in your search.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I splurged on one of these

Vemar VSR in CF.

It absolutely rules. in every possible way.

·
Alaska Born Tsimshian
379 Posts
kozik said:

Vemar VSR in CF.

+1 Me too! It came with both a clear and light smoke fog free visor and a complete change of inner pads!

Comfy and quiet tho not as light as I'd hoped. Yes it's lighter than any of the many other helmets I own but NOT as light as I thought a cf helmet would be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Suomy Spec 1R, fit and finish are excellent. Very light and no hassles thus far (2.5 years), only downside is that it’s very noisy.

·
Super Moderator
8,225 Posts
I use an OGK FF4 GP helmet.

I always use a clear visor and, when it´s sunny, put on a dark or mirrored tear-off.
That way i never get stuck with riding at night/in the rain with a dark visor. It takes ~2 minutes to stop and remove the tearoff..

And helmet discussions NEVER get old, since there are new technologies and new helmets appearing all the time.

//amullo

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
kozik said:

Vemar VSR in CF.

I also have a Vemar (Italian made) but not the CF shown. Nice graphics, great fit, and incredible ventilation. Doesn't matter what the weather is here in CT it has never fogged. It retailed at appox. $450 but I got it on close out from Extreme Suply for $165. Best helmet I've ever owned.

bruce19

·
Registered
401 Posts
Normal riding: KBC Force RR (matte titanium)
Positive:
great overall fit very comfortable for me (I have a huge head)
widest vision field of any helmet I've ever tried on
very quiet
entire liner is removable for cleaning or replacing
multi shield click opening stops that actually work
quick shield change mechanism
decent venting
Negative:
built in breath guard hit's my nose (and I don't have a big nose)
actually had to modify it as it was annoying but I knew that upfront.
No ability to add cold weather full cover mouth/nose breath guard
(I still have my HJC CL14 for that reason as I do a lot of cold weather riding and riding in the rain and need a fog free shield)

·
Registered
403 Posts
More than just a "+1", go back and re-read ChuckRacer's post above. That is FAR closer to reality than the handful of complaints voiced in the Arai thread. I work at a specialty motorcycle gear and apparel shop and see what helmets come back for warranty, repair, and parts, not to mention owner satisfaction. I could not recommend Arai's more highly. For the record, I had an Arai, but currently wear a mid-level Shoei. Will be going back to Arai at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Used to wear Aria now wear Schuberth. They are very QUIET. Great fit (for me) the built-in sunshade is extremely concvenient. Like an automatic garage door openre, once you've had one.... The one thing I really noticed going from Arai to Schuberth is the Schuberth seems to be more aerodynamically smooth - that is, I get less helmet buffeting in the wind and after a ride I get significantly less neck tension/soreness than other helmets I've used. I would definitely recommend you check one out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where did you get it?

Nice! i tried on a Vemar, ended up not buying. Seemed there sizing was a little tight. A Large Arai was perfect but a Large Vemar too small. I just did a search and saw these listed at $818. Does that sound about right or do you know a better place to get one?

Light, quiet, comfy, AND protection are good things.

Thanks,
Mike
'03 ST4s

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
amullo said:
And helmet discussions NEVER get old, since there are new technologies and new helmets appearing all the time.
+1 on that, Anders.

My current lids have fallen to the less expensive side. My touring helmet is an HJC modular with the flip-up face. My sport helmet is an Icon Mainframe in silver. I got the Icon because the price was right -- I got it for free. :D

Both helmets fit well but aren't very good with respect to reducing wind noise. My quietest helmet was actually an HJC, though I forget the model, with my Arai RX-7RR a close second.

I've had an Arai RX-7RR Edwards replica, which I loved immensely and then (unfortunately) crash-tested. I landed on my face that time, and I still have a face, so it did it's job. I replaced it with an Arai Quantum/f, but I didn't like that one as much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mikesnewst4s said:
Nice! i tried on a Vemar, ended up not buying. Seemed there sizing was a little tight. A Large Arai was perfect but a Large Vemar too small. I just did a search and saw these listed at $818. Does that sound about right or do you know a better place to get one?

Thanks,
Mike
'03 ST4s
I got my first one 2 years ago when I bought the 749 at Munroe here in SF. I think it was priced at around 900.00 but I got them to sort of toss it in at about half price as I was buying a new bike.

After really liking the helmet I bought a second one to keep on ice if the first one gets screwed I paid about 750.00..again at Munroe Motors.

I dont know if they are still making the CF one anymore ( ithink it was a limited deal) but Vemar has all other sorts of hemets, the fit, ventilation, choice of inner liner parts etc is great. it is a hassle getting new visors I ordered some from a place in the UK that has an ebay store going on.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
mikesnewst4s said:

Thanks,
Mike
'03 ST4s
Mike:

The sizing on a Vemar is snug until it breaks in. Then, if fits right and never gets loose. As for deals, try Extreme Supply. Last I checked (about a month ago) they were trying to unload their graphics Vemars for $100. Unfortunately, I already had two of them.

Bruce19

1 - 20 of 30 Posts