Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
If anyone knows it's probably you. Do you know if the D16 use the same headlights as any other models or are they unique?
Well I do count myself lucky to own many of the bikes that are considered dream bikes. I have been able to make a few interesting observations as a result of having the bikes that I have, for sure.

Unfortunately, those lights are unique to the D16RR. They're similar in a way to the 1098 lights but they're not the same.

·
Registered
06 999R RAD02, 06 999R, 06 999.
402 Posts
Well I do count myself lucky to own many of the bikes that are considered dream bikes. I have been able to make a few interesting observations as a result of having the bikes that I have, for sure.

Unfortunately, those lights are unique to the D16RR. They're similar in a way to the 1098 lights but they're not the same.
That's what I thought. Thank you!

·
Bon Vivant
11,356 Posts
1973 750 Sport. Only know it from photos, but to me it is the quintessential motorbike, and a Ducati. And that yellow is drop dead gorgeous:
View attachment 1006825

In other news, I am thinking about a Hypermotard 821 -> 1198 conversion.
I've been lusting after one of these for years - missed a couple that I shoulda bought. But last month one popped up that I could afford and I grabbed it.

I'm with you, this bike is the epitome of the sporting bevel Ducati; designed and built with restraint including nothing that doesn't add to it's capability. With clean purposeful lines the bike represents the essence of Ducati and truly - the fundemental nature of sporting Italian motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Technically, I've owned my dream Ducati since 2003. The 916 shape to me is amongst the most beautiful, and perfect in all of motorcycling. So my dream Ducati had to be a 916 of some kind, I started with an '01 996 and since then have been turning it into my "dream" version of that stock, basic concept, making it as light and powerful as I possibly can.
I absolutely adore bikes like the 1199/1299 Superleggera, and 888 SPS, and I suppose they are, by definition, my actual dream Ducati's, because it is unlikely that I will ever own them. But the truth of the matter is, that for that "last, perfect ride, choose what ever you want to ride", I would choose the 996 that I've built, am building, over any of those other "dream" Ducatis..

Is that missing the point of the question, if I already own my actual "dream" bike? Does a Superleggera or 888SPS fit the actual description of "dream" bike? I don't know, but part of the reason I've poured as much time and money into perfecting my 996 into my "dream" version of that basic form is that I've spent a lot of time, it seems, since I was a kid, dreaming about vehicles like 288 GTO, F40, 355, Porsche 959, 996 SPS, 851 SP3, 888 SPS.., etc, etc, and at a certain point I got tired of dreaming.., and that was the real beauty of the 916 for me.. Here was a bike that was equal in desireability to those other vehicles, but was actually accessible to me. I mean, "dreaming" is cool and all, all well and good, but it's also a waste of time if that's all you're doing.. I mean, even if I could afford an F40, I couldn't actually drive one because I don't know how to heel and toe, and my skill level overall as a driver isn't worthy of an F40. So "dreaming" about one is a complete waste of time. I mean, if your dreams come true, or you make it happen, will you actually be able to ride it and enjoy it? Because surely that's the point..?
Am I over analyzing the concept of "dream" Ducati? I guess I most definitely am, but being able to turn "dreams" into reality and fully engage with and enjoy that reality is the key. Don't waste too much time "dreaming" over what can't happen, or isn't realistic even if it can

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Technically, I've owned my dream Ducati since 2003. The 916 shape to me is amongst the most beautiful, and perfect in all of motorcycling. So my dream Ducati had to be a 916 of some kind, I started with an '01 996 and since then have been turning it into my "dream" version of that stock, basic concept, making it as light and powerful as I possibly can.
I absolutely adore bikes like the 1199/1299 Superleggera, and 888 SPS, and I suppose they are, by definition, my actual dream Ducati's, because it is unlikely that I will ever own them. But the truth of the matter is, that for that "last, perfect ride, choose what ever you want to ride", I would choose the 996 that I've built, am building, over any of those other "dream" Ducatis..

Is that missing the point of the question, if I already own my actual "dream" bike? Does a Superleggera or 888SPS fit the actual description of "dream" bike? I don't know, but part of the reason I've poured as much time and money into perfecting my 996 into my "dream" version of that basic form is that I've spent a lot of time, it seems, since I was a kid, dreaming about vehicles like 288 GTO, F40, 355, Porsche 959, 996 SPS, 851 SP3, 888 SPS.., etc, etc, and at a certain point I got tired of dreaming.., and that was the real beauty of the 916 for me.. Here was a bike that was equal in desireability to those other vehicles, but was actually accessible to me. I mean, "dreaming" is cool and all, all well and good, but it's also a waste of time if that's all you're doing.. I mean, even if I could afford an F40, I couldn't actually drive one because I don't know how to heel and toe, and my skill level overall as a driver isn't worthy of an F40. So "dreaming" about one is a complete waste of time. I mean, if your dreams come true, or you make it happen, will you actually be able to ride it and enjoy it? Because surely that's the point..?
Am I over analyzing the concept of "dream" Ducati? I guess I most definitely am, but being able to turn "dreams" into reality and fully engage with and enjoy that reality is the key. Don't waste too much time "dreaming" over what can't happen, or isn't realistic even if it can

There is an old saying that goes something like, “happiness isn’t having what you want; it’s wanting what you have.”

I don’t think the idea of a dream Ducati means it’s some unattainable ideal. I think it should be what is it that excites to the limit, that fills you with the maximum experience.

Some people want things just to want them. I don’t think they know what they are or why they’re special or how those things would be special in their hands. The reality is that these things are only things. They are only special if they make your life experience special.

So when you say that you have your dream Ducati, you’re not missing the point at all. You have the Ducati that you need to make your life the maximum experience. I’m sure whether it’s planning the mods or working on it or riding it, the happiness is maximum for you. I am sure that there’s not much else, if anything, that could fill you with more.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My dream Ducati would be to go back in time to 30Oct2017, and take a different route home from work, and thus avoid having my 1993 M900 Monster smashed by the hit-and-run driver.

I had bought that bike new -- one of the first 1000 Monsters ever built -- and had been riding it daily for 24 years. I had 265K miles on it, and would be over 300K by now.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There is an old saying that goes something like, “happiness isn’t having what you want; it’s wanting what you have.”

I don’t think the idea of a dream Ducati means it’s some unattainable ideal. I think it should be what is it that excites to the limit, that fills you with the maximum experience.

Some people want things just to want them. I don’t think they know what they are or why they’re special or how those things would be special in their hands. The reality is that these things are only things. They are only special if they make your life experience special.

So when you say that you have your dream Ducati, you’re not missing the point at all. You have the Ducati that you need to make your life the maximum experience. I’m sure whether it’s planning the mods or working on it or riding it, the happiness is maximum for you. I am sure that there’s not much else, if anything, that could fill you with more.
Great post Sherpa, you summed up my feelings very nicely.
don’t think the idea of a dream Ducati means it’s some unattainable ideal. I think it should be what is it that excites to the limit, that fills you with the maximum experience.
I especially love this line, it's almost something out of Zen and the Art of Ducati Ownership..;)(y), very nicely said

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My dream Ducati would be to go back in time to 30Oct2017, and take a different route home from work, and thus avoid having my 1993 M900 Monster smashed by the hit-and-run driver.

I had bought that bike new -- one of the first 1000 Monsters ever built -- and had been riding it daily for 24 years. I had 265K miles on it, and would be over 300K by now.

PhilB
Sounds like you were "living the dream" to it's maximum Phil
I guess that's the one problem with taking and living the dream in the real world, sometimes reality can bite rather harshly! Sorry to hear that happened to your Monster

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sounds like you were "living the dream" to it's maximum Phil
I guess that's the one problem with taking and living the dream in the real world, sometimes reality can bite rather harshly! Sorry to hear that happened to your Monster
Yeah it was very sad. The good part is that, although she broke the bike in half, she failed to kill me. I actually was not hurt badly or permanently, and have another M900.
Below is a pic of the first one, in 2016, on the weekend it turned over 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When i was a youngun I saw an 851, a red one, brand new it was, on the road being ridden by a lucky bastard!

I wanted one, badly, it was my Dream bike.... took 10 years from my first sighting but in 1999 i got my red 851, well, an 888 actually and over the last 22 years i have made it mine. I LOVE it! will never sell it and the purists would have a heart attack but it's perfect to me.

Anything else i have owned or may own in the future may be special, i coddle all my bikes, but the 888 will always be my favourite.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had an S4RS Tricolore , my first Ducati .......a dream bike for sure that was totaled in an unfortunate get off.

Fast forward to now .....always wanted an "R" model Ducati .....bought a 2016 1200R monster ... it is quite dreamy !!

Also always wanted a Pikes Peak Multi so I picked up one of those (2012 MY) and discovered that the previous owner had installed the Ohlins semi active suspension unit on it....quite the dreamy upgrade....fantastic motorcycle.

But true dreamland .....The Supermono .....amazing piece of engineering ...would love to own one, learn how to work on it and sit around hugging it and whispering to it .....and whipping it around on a track after as its reward for being so amazing.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
443 Posts
In my dreams I’d stumble across a crashed/repairable D16RR...given away by an angry partner to piss off his/her cheating partner. One set of bare cf fairings and minor repairs later I’d have the ultimate track toy.

I know reality isn’t really the point of the thread but in the glare of cold hard financial daylight I’m enjoying pottering away with my current bikes/projects/pain’s in the arse. None of them are too prissy/precious that I can’t put my own spin on them, which is half the fun to me.

I have a rough idea of where they are going but life makes fools of us and our plans so the pictures in my (empty) head are constantly evolving. The parts you think will be available/affordable, aren’t; the things you think you can/can’t do, you can’t/can; the outside assistance that suddenly appears/evaporates...the twists and turns are endlesss. They’ll never be as glamorous as many but the list of bikes I’d swap them for is pretty short

·
Registered
06 999R RAD02, 06 999R, 06 999.
402 Posts
In my dreams I’d stumble across a crashed/repairable D16RR...given away by an angry partner to piss off his/her cheating partner. One set of bare cf fairings and minor repairs later I’d have the ultimate track toy.

I know reality isn’t really the point of the thread but in the glare of cold hard financial daylight I’m enjoying pottering away with my current bikes/projects/pain’s in the arse. None of them are too prissy/precious that I can’t put my own spin on them, which is half the fun to me.

I have a rough idea of where they are going but life makes fools of us and our plans so the pictures in my (empty) head are constantly evolving. The parts you think will be available/affordable, aren’t; the things you think you can/can’t do, you can’t/can; the outside assistance that suddenly appears/evaporates...the twists and turns are endlesss. They’ll never be as glamorous as many but the list of bikes I’d swap them for is pretty short
I'd trade off all my bikes for a damaged D16RR any day. Would absolutely LOVE getting my hands on a running D16RR with some damage so I'd feel less guilty about making changes to it. 😅

41 - 57 of 57 Posts