Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my CRG LS bar end mirrors w/ RhinoMoto bar end slider mounts...easy enough. What got me was removing the stock mirrors! Left came off easy, but the right kicked my a**! Bolt wouldn't budge. Lubed it up w/ WD40 and let it soak...nothing. Heated it up w/ a lighter, but stopped not wanting to melt the OEM mirror. Bolt eventually broke! :mad: Now I have to drill the remainder of the bolt carcass out of the housing. Is there a proper way to drill out a broken bolt? Never did that before... :think:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Red Loctite should only be used when the bold or stud is to be threaded in for good. If heated to high temps you can get the red loctite to break down. Use the blue loctite if you plan on changing out the bolt or stud.

To remove a broken bolt, get a set of easy outs. They dig in tight when rotated counterclockwise to allow you to remove the broken piece. You have to drill a small hole first then tap the easy out in place and let the teeth bite while turning in a counterclockwise direction. You can get a set at any tool store (Sears has them). I have used them many times successfully.

Mike

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess whomever installed my OEM mirrors thought they would never be replaced....hmmm. The bolts were coated with red loctite. Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up a set of those "easy outs" and get to work.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I also found removing many stock parts difficult because of red Loctite. Although I didn't brake a bolt I did almost brake my nose! Removing bolts under tail with an electric drill fitted with an alum key, one was so fixed in that the drill spun out of my hands and smacked me in the face. :eek:

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Installed my CRG LS bar end mirrors w/ RhinoMoto bar end slider mounts...easy enough. What got me was removing the stock mirrors! Left came off easy, but the right kicked my a**! Bolt wouldn't budge. Lubed it up w/ WD40 and let it soak...nothing. Heated it up w/ a lighter, but stopped not wanting to melt the OEM mirror. Bolt eventually broke! :mad: Now I have to drill the remainder of the bolt carcass out of the housing. Is there a proper way to drill out a broken bolt? Never did that before... :think:

that definitely is a side affect of tightening the bolt. :D
there are several methods to take standard bolts out but backwards bolts are a different animal.. not as much user support for those, customer service lives in Bangladesh.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Same happened with one of my keyguard bolts , had to drill it out. Theres fuckin red loctite everywhere on everything. I know it shakes when ticking over but Ducati have taken the piss with this stuff

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oops...

The right mirror has lefthand threads :p :think:

So I broke that thing off for no reason! Who would've known?!? :confused:
It's righty-tighty, lefty-loosey... Unless its a Ducati that is! Actually I ran into the same problem. I just wanted to adjust my stock mirrors. I put some torque on the bolt and when it did'nt budge, I left it alone...

Good to know about the L/R threads tho...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be careful; the left hand thread can be on either side depending on which operator assembled the bike. The left hand thread should be on the left side of the bike. The idea is for the wind to tighten, not loosen the mirrors.

·
Bon Vivant
11,430 Posts
Ive encountered at least 3 Ducs with the lefthand thread on the RIGHT side and never found one on the left. But I do know people say they've found it on the left side.
I guess you just have to try it both ways before you get too carried away.

·
Registered
147 Posts
99% of ducatis with mirrors mounted to the handle bars have left hand threads on the right side of the bike. ( go figure right ) I've uncrated more ducs than you can shake a stick at an have yet to encounter one on the left hand side. An i think ducati has more red loctite than they need so they put it on every fricken bolt they can dip in it

·
1,642 Posts
99% of ducatis with mirrors mounted to the handle bars have left hand threads on the right side of the bike. ( go figure right ) I've uncrated more ducs than you can shake a stick at an have yet to encounter one on the left hand side. An i think ducati has more red loctite than they need so they put it on every fricken bolt they can dip in it

that's possible. Mine was that 1% and I have checked it since then because there is another thread with Flyn where we were discussing which one was which.. and I had to go check mine because I was unsure (didn't want to just argue).. and it definitely is a left hand thread on the left side on my bike. his bike it the (apparently more common) left thread on the right.

I have the red loctite too, but the loctite should not cause a bolt to strip. It WILL make it a b*tch to unbolt though.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Just to clarify, right=throttle or are we facing the front? Cause my right mirror (throttle) on SC was a normal thread and I am expecting to find the reverse thread on clutch side..:confused:

·
1,642 Posts
Just to clarify, right=throttle or are we facing the front? Cause my right mirror (throttle) on SC was a normal thread and I am expecting to find the reverse thread on clutch side..:confused:
yes, right = throttle left is the clutch side.

and like I mentioned my bike had the reverse on the left and several others have had it on the right.
However, since the majority of people seem to have the reverse threads on the right; I would go with that assumption first.. the bolt SHOULD start turning. If it doesn't, try it the other way and see how it comes off. The red loctite will not weld it together, and the torque should not be more than 20-30 ft lbs .. so a good twist should free it up (free being a relative term because of the loctite).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts