Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two MotoGPs ago I couldn't get my usual channel for BeIn Sports on the air. As I figured, a DirectTV sales person at Costco said it was a dispute BeIn or channel 620 was having DirectTV and that the situation should be resolved soon. That was about two or three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since. My wife called DirectTV and they told her BeIn wanted more money and this situation could drag on for weeks. I'm ffing pissed off over this and I wonder who is the greedy guilty party here. BeIn was the best thing to happen to MotoGP coverage.

Reactions: ncgt1000

·
Registered
38 Posts
Verizon had the same dispute this summer and dropped them for a couple of weeks. I ended up paying for the MotoGP web accesss at a half season rate and the very next day bein showed up again.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Comcast dropped them too. They were the only reason I had cable TV. I wonder if I can get out of my contract since they dropped the only channel I wanted.

·
Registered
364 Posts
They all dropped them, from what I can tell. :frown2:

We have a GP pass, so I can still keep up with them, but SBK and MA are a distant memory.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah - Same boat with Xfinity Comcast. They actually dropped them a couple of weeks before DirecTV did... I believe Sling still carries BeIn - not sure about the other offerings.

I wonder if MotoGP (and WSBK & MotoA for that matter) will search for another carrier in lieu of so many Americans being left in the dark now. Or, maybe not since "so many Americans" probably amounts to about 1000 people...

I'm guessing I'll be buying the MotoGP pass for next season. FML.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I found this out weeks ago and was quite annoyed. I called DirecTV and told them the main reason I subscribed was to watch the motorcycle races. They said they were still negotiating, but I think that effort is now over. I told the guy how disappointed I was. He said he would knock $10 a month off the bill. I laughed. I think I am going to cancel the cable as there are alot of other options (and much cheaper) out there (Amazon, etc) and then just subscribe to Moto GP directly.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Livetv.ru

firstsrowsports.tv

vipbox.net

3 good places to watch races (and ufc, boxing, etc)

Use a browser with adblock plus add-in help to smooth it out.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I'm pretty annoyed by this as well. I've watched the last 2 races on the MotoGP site, which is OK, but not great.

Apparently, futbol fans are going bat-shit crazy about this situation.

I'm still hopeful that DirecTV and BeIn can work it out.

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marketing overblown people

It would help if motorcycle racing was more popular in the states. I don't get it, why the addiction to cars running around in circles? I attended an Indy Nascar event and except for the start, I got so bored I left the stands and went for a walk. A lot of that has turned into a sideshow reality presentations of the drivers where many of them make more marketing their celebrity status than proving themselves on the race track. I saw another TV advertisement last night, non-other than the most overblown NASCAR driver in recent history, Danika Patrick. Living proof you don't have to be good to make riches in shallow land. The same goes for woman's golf, if you have the long skinny legs and show some silicon, you don't have to win a tournament to make big money. Just scanning some of their websites tell you that. We lived in the same area where Natalie Gulbis went to school. She lived outside the school district but through politics and her golf skills was allowed to attend an upper-income school in Granite Bay, Ca. I saw her a few times and saw some of her photo shoots and she used this angle to it's fullest potential even though many people I know when I used to play golf thought she was "goofy" looking. I never knew what the appeal was all about, pancake makeup and silicon boobs, that's all I saw. But, I guess more power to her even though she has only won one golf tournament in her 20 years on the Tour. In sports sometimes you don't have to be good to make money. Music has it's own way as well to con people into liking "artists", even many who can't sing worth a crap live. Hell, even I can get behind an electronically enhanced studio mike and sound like I have talent. Rant closed, I'm still upset about loosing Motogp and it happened as well last year with Pro Cycling a couple years back when I was really getting into it. My wife canceled the program because to have the Pro Cycling channel you had to buy a package that included 95% BS programming I would never use.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I never got BeIn. I have Direct TV. The "package" you had to buy into to get BeIn was about the same as a year subscription to the MotoGP streaming package. It was the same price but broken down into a monthly rate. I didn't think I needed all the other crap channels that came with BeIn so I went with the MotoGP streaming package.

That said, the only reason I have Direct TV is because waaay back in the before internet time, I had Primestar. I bought into that because it was the only way to get Speedvision. (remember them?) Then Direct TV bought Primestar and Speedvision became "Speed" and motorcycles became less and less of the programming until Fox Sports bought the channel. Now it is so lame I don't even know what channel it is anymore.

So I asked myself, why I even have Direct TV anymore. No more Speedvision. No BeIN. No motorcycles at all. I have a WSBK and MotoGP streaming package....maybe MotoA will step up to that platform for next year? I don't know. I do know I'm going to drop Direct TV. That would save me more than enough money to cover all three streaming subscriptions with ease.

You'd think if you were a Direct TV customer for nearly 20 years, you'd get a break on your bill. Instead, we get annual increases. I think I'm up to $150 a month now for basically 200 channels of complete shit. Well....maybe more like 196. I do actually watch Velocity, Travel, Smithsonian HD and History HD for the few shows I follow. Even then, I think I can get 3 out of the 5 on the MotorTrend app.

At my current rate, I spend $1600 a year on Direct TV. A MotoGP subscription is about €100 a year. A WSBK subscription is like €69 a year. Two months worth of Direct TV would cover my subscriptions easily. I don't know what a Moto America subscription would look like but I'm sure I'd rather pay to see that in a subscriber format than continue to pay monthly for a service I don't use even 5% of. So done with Direct TV........sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts