Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought yesterday my first Ducati. A new for me 796. Today I removed the saddle to see what's in there and condition the battery and here is what I did and did not find.

I didn't find the tool kit which probably the previous owner misplaced.

I did find three loose connectors that are plugged at their terminals.

I also found a hardwired harness for a Ctek charger that I happen to own. And a strange device that looks like a small motor with a build in gearbox all the way back under the seat.

Could you tell what the connectors are for? Some kind of diagnostic interface - like OBD for bikes?

And what does the motor/gearbox do?

Thank you in advance!

An excited new Ducatista
20190902_201441_1567457087551.jpg

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I bought yesterday my first Ducati. A new for me 796. Today I removed the saddle to see what's in there and condition the battery and here is what I did and did not find.

I didn't find the tool kit which probably the previous owner misplaced.

I did find three loose connectors that are plugged at their terminals.

I also found a hardwired harness for a Ctek charger that I happen to own. And a strange device that looks like a small motor with a build in gearbox all the way back under the seat.

Could you tell what the connectors are for? Some kind of diagnostic interface - like OBD for bikes?

And what does the motor/gearbox do?

Thank you in advance!

An excited new Ducatista
Don't worry about the toolkit, there's not a hell of a lot in it! Get yourself a decent aftermarket one like the Cruz Tools (metric) one plus any specific Ducati tools you may want/need.

See attached picture of the connectors - 35 is the DDA connector (Ducati Data Acquisition) 61 & 62 are ABS Diagnosis terminals.

The motor is the servo motor for the exhaust flapper valve.

If you need a service manual check this link and follow the instructions: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/6907883-post58.html Note the download is close to 130Mb

For owners and parts manual go here: https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/service-maintenance/owner-manuals and here: https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/service-maintenance/spare-parts-catalogs
You'll need to enter your model and year at the above two links (or the closest to it as the models drop off after a few years)

Enjoy! :smile2:

Attachments

Reactions: HyperJB

·
Registered
157 Posts
And, just FYI, your battery is located underneath the gas tank... you have to pull the tank shrouds, then remove (or pull and prop up...) the gas tank to get to both the battery and the air filter.

The exhaust flapper servo can be bypassed with a plug-in module like the Duc-ee, and then you can remove that big servo motor entirely. The flapper is a noise- and emission-control device and is not necessary under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info!

I didn't realise installing slip-ons is that involved. I thought it meant just pulling out the stock cans and installing the aftermarket ones. I didn't know they had a built in valve.
In my bike the motor is obviously still there but the rest of the valve mechanism is removed and replaced by a box - probably when the tail delete was done...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If it's like my Monster 1200 you can hook up your charger to the diagnostic port when you park the bike.
Much easier than trying to access the hidden battery.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Great info!

I didn't realise installing slip-ons is that involved. I thought it meant just pulling out the stock cans and installing the aftermarket ones. I didn't know they had a built in valve.
In my bike the motor is obviously still there but the rest of the valve mechanism is removed and replaced by a box - probably when the tail delete was done...
Can't really tell from those photos whether the valve is still there, I think that 'box' is just part of your tail tidy.
See the attached photo, the circled item is the valve and the arrow points to the cables that operate it from the servo.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can't really tell from those photos whether the valve is still there, I think that 'box' is just part of your tail tidy.
See the attached photo, the circled item is the valve and the arrow points to the cables that operate it from the servo.
Oh... that thing you are pointing at is still there.
So I might have a functional valve after all...

/Dimi

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
No, slipons are just that... they replace the mufflers. The exhaust valve is in the midpipe.

Just FYI, the 796 is the only model that has that, neither the 696 nor the 1200 did. If you can find a mid-pipe from a 696, it's a direct replacement for the 796. I have one in the garage for mine, I just have to have the time to put it on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts