Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to the Phoenix/ Tucson GC area for a while. Anything not to miss in the area?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Check out the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. It is probably the only place in the world where you can see all of the "Century Series" fighters from the 50's and 60's. Also, an A-12 and that most rare of all aircraft, a D-21 drone.

If your timing is right, you might get to take the base tour at Davis Monthan AFB which is the boneyard for all DOD aircraft. A pretty amazing thing to see.

Yes, that ride out to Green Valley might be nice, especially if you keep a sharp eye out for some nicely seasoned squirrel jerky on the highway (LOL).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
What's to do/see in Phoeni/Tucson

DMAFB does have a great site (PIMA Air Museum).

As far as riding more north, just take I-17 north as it turns into some fun twisties and follow the signs to Jerome. Population 500, tourist attraction, was a mining town 1900ish (small tour) that mined directly under the city, which subsequently was built on the side of a mountain. At the base of the mountain you can see some remnence of houses that slid down the mountain after some mine blasting. BTW they have several haunted houses there. The hotel used to be a hospital at the last century and I believe it is room 212. OOOOHHHHHH!!!

Keep going north and there are a number of Indian Runes.

Oh yah, he Scottsdale night clubs where the 30,000 dollar milionaires live.

Stick to the roads.

Brian C.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do not miss Sedona. If you can manage to avoid the crystal worshiping, petuli wering hippies it is one of the most awsome places in AZ. Take a ride up to Page and ask some of the locals where the good views are. The Grand Canyon is amazing but when the x and I were there we had more fun and liked Page and Sedona much more than the big crack. The Grand Canyon was too comercial and child proofed with railings around the rim everywhere we stopped and masses of people. It is still awsome and I suppose if we had tried to we could have gotten away from the tourists and park rangers.

Chris

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming. Plenty of riding up here, so no bike on this one. The Sonora Museum is high on the list. We'll be spending some time in Sedona and I appreciate the tourist warning about the Big Crack. I've been to the Canyon six times already but I never get tired of it. The tourists are just part of what I call "The TV Show of Life". We still joke about the argument between the British children a few years back at the Canyon, the Harley riders taking their first "learn to turn" course in the Tetons and and the idiot from Pennsyl-tucky who tried hard to boil himself to death in one of the thermal springs in Yellowstone. Lots of material in those National Parks. The easiest way to avoid tourists - or at least the Americans, the European ones are more used to walking - is to hike a couple hundred yards away from the parking lot and it's a differnet world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jerome is great!

Jerome is a great little town. It was founded by Dr. Jerome, the father of Jenny Jerome, Winston Churchill's mother. BTW, the hotel is built over what used to be the morgue. That's why the ghost stories. I stayed there shortly after the restored facility opened, and the owner/town sheriff told us some really fun stories about unexplained happenings in the place. Check it out!

I also recommend Bisbee, a restored copper mining community. The Copper Queen mine gives tours, and there are some nice little spots to see. It's in a very hilly part of the state, and there's some good riding to be had in SE Arizona.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again. The more offbeat or quirky, the better. Definitely looking for the quirky, less-crowded, off-the-beaten-track stuff. The stuff that's up there with the Concrete Park, Gatorland and Allerton Park.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Get up early in the morning and climb Camelback mt., great exercise and great view. There is a park w/ parking lot on the PHoenix side. The climb on the Scottsdale side is less hard, but better views, need to park on the street (65th?).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.