Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's this relay? ST4S harness, 4 brown wires.

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M8ght as well ask the follow up-- anyone know where to get the blocks separately? Rewiring it isn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
It's a very common automotive relay plug. Go to your closest wreckers (I think you call them dismantlers or breakers) and ask if they can snip one off a dead harness. Then just pull the pins and push in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
irony

It's a very common automotive relay plug. Go to your closest wreckers (I think you call them dismantlers or breakers) and ask if they can snip one off a dead harness. Then just pull the pins and push in.
we call them junk yards, only the irony is they come off the assembly line junk and are only put out of everyone's misery by the inevitable crusher

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I believe all the ST4s relays are the same, so I tend to purchase them by the half dozen through Pyro Dan: Replacement Relays

I've used these relays in several places on the ST4s and they work well. Always carry one with me, in case I need to replace at an awkward time.

Ron

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Leave it undone and see what doesn't work. I suspect it carries a fair amount of current, headlight? ignition? fuel pump? Heat is created by high resistance so check the ground side of whichever circuit the relay controls. Also check the fit of the spades in the socket, could be the cause of the high resistance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What's this relay? ST4S harness, 4 brown wires.
Not sure if this will help but I recently replaced 3 relays on my 2012 848 EVO. I remember seeing brown wires going into one but don't remember what it went to. But the relays were for the radiator fans, push start button and fuel pump.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here ya go Adam... I think this is the one. If you look close you can select between the plug and the socket... that page appears to default to the plug, at least for me.
Thanks Jay. I'm hoping for a stock-matching one, but that will definitely work if I can't find the original style.

I believe all the ST4s relays are the same, so I tend to purchase them by the half dozen through Pyro Dan. I've used these relays in several places on the ST4s and they work well. Always carry one with me, in case I need to replace at an awkward time.
Ron
The relays were no problem to find. I ordered a couple of them right away. It's the block/plug and spades I couldn't find.

Leave it undone and see what doesn't work. I suspect it carries a fair amount of current, headlight? ignition? fuel pump? Heat is created by high resistance so check the ground side of whichever circuit the relay controls. Also check the fit of the spades in the socket, could be the cause of the high resistance.
I know it isn't the tail light or flashers, as that was easy to check. I was too lazy to put the tank back on and keep going through the checklist though. I see a bit of corrosion on the spades of the block.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Not familiar with ST4 but it looks like the fan relay on my 916 - I would guess they used common parts on many models, especially electrical parts.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still not sure what the relay controls, but a friend had a junk harness that he was able to cut one off of, so I'll pick that up Saturday morning and she'll be good as used.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not familiar with ST4 but it looks like the fan relay on my 916 - I would guess they used common parts on many models, especially electrical parts.

Yes it is the same relay on our 916. I think ours run a purple wire in the mix with brown??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah there was some corrosion on the spades, although the relay itself may have shorted.

In any case, I'll cut back a couple inches to undamaged wire, use brand new spades, the new-used block, new relay, and make sure to get some dielectric grease in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts