Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Moisture. If you are close to an oil change I would change it. Otherwise get the engine good and hot for a while.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the engine oil just now and ran it around the block..

Is this something bad?

God, i hate being ignorant

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
That's nothing. Mid winter, mine is totally white. I can't make out the oil level.

The thing is that even with a heavy coating, it is not an issue. This winter I had remove my right side cover replace the seals. The white foamy goo was all over the side cover, but the hotter surfaces of the crank case just next to it were perfectly clear as were all the moving parts.

So, don't worry about it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
looks like you have coolent/water in your oil. i would change it out the oil. how long did you let the bike sit before that picture was taken?

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah, it's moisture/condensation. I think short rides around the block, or starting your engine briefly(like in your garage midwinter) actually can cause it.

Take it out on a real ride, or let it fully warm up and it should be fine

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, it's moisture/condensation. I think short rides around the block, or starting your engine briefly(like in your garage midwinter) actually can cause it.

Take it out on a real ride, or let it fully warm up and it should be fine

Yeah, +1....a good long ride does the trick. There was a thread here a while ago where someone said to go for a long ride then let it cool with the oil cap off to allow any moisture/vapour to escape. I gave it a try and it worked just fine

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
Definitely moisture, nothing to worry about!

If you see something looking like chocolate milk instead of oil, then I'd be concerned that a large amount of water was getting mixed in (i.e.: coolant leak).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll second the others who have said take a good long ride. I've had this as well, even with a mild Atlanta winter, but 30 mins with the oil temp above 200 and it was clear again.

I'm really not meaning to be flippant when I ask this, but before considering whether or not you have coolant in your oil, is it a water cooled engine?

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
^^^:think::D:confused:

After the ride let it get up in temp for a bit , let it idle and get some heat into it.
Some open the oil filler cap to let the vapour out ,(Or IN?) JUST BE SURE to tighten it back up before the next ride... Duoh!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts