1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducati Seatle had one for $8200 (sold)
Just saw a 2001 titled for street in NY for $7995 - at a dealer
KBB says trade: $5210, Retail: $7260.
NADA doesn't list an "R" for 2001 but does for 2002.
NADA low: $3965. NADA high: $5215

I think that they are desirable but I'm not sure that they're worth more than a 996

·
Registered
508 Posts
hmmm

they are worth what someone will pay... although they are bitchin when bumped to an 853...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A bike is always worth what someone will pay. The 748R is a special piece, but only for the right owner and only if its been taken well care of and not thrashed to death. I sold my 2500-mile bike with full Termi exhaust, magnesium wheels and many carbon bits for $8500 in November, 2008.

·
Registered
121 Posts
they are worth what someone will pay...
Ain't that the truth. Also, if you can't find a model listed on kbb.com or nada.com, most banks won't give a loan for a vehicle they cannot determine how much it's worth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
there should be no loan for depreciating assets!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine's probably worth quite a bit more (to me) than most folks in the market for one would pay. Luckily for me, I'm not interested in selling it! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, I get the philosophical ideas of; it's worth what will be paid and it's priceless if you have one etc...

I was looking for stuff like Kingmoochr had to offer.

In the end it is a motorcycle, yes it stirs the soul, but it is an object that can be bought and sold.

It is not a race bike with documented historical value. It may have limited collector value as there were not many produced.

BTW - How many were produce?

It should be worth more than a "plain" one.
It should be worth more than a "S"

Given that the Market is depressed now and bikes are not bringing the money that owners wish they would...

What is the REAL market value of a 748R?

·
Registered
55 Posts
A nice 748R can be had for 6-7,000 in this market. Obviously, if its from a dealer the price will be higher, and nicer parts and/or low mileage will effect the price as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mantis nyc - Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
A bike is always worth what someone will pay. The 748R is a special piece, but only for the right owner and only if its been taken well care of and not thrashed to death. I sold my 2500-mile bike with full Termi exhaust, magnesium wheels and many carbon bits for $8500 in November, 2008.
There are many out there that will claim your price was too much, even with the mods installed. I totally disagree. What is a stock bike, how many are there out there? To one extent or another Ducati owners upgrade their bikes; its practical, fun, looks good and improves performance in many cases. I'm a strong believer in personalizing bikes. Some mods have more of a perceived worth than others, what you did to your bike gets maximum return in my book at point of sale. Not even mentioning increasing its marketability to a larger crowd. Roughly, by today's pricing, your add ons just for the full termi and magnesiums will be in the neighborhood of $7K if you were to add them on later. Those two items alone would be on my wish list if I bought a stock 748R, but to be honest I couldn't afford them if they weren't on the bike in the first place. Can you live without them? Yeah, but thats not life enrichment, we only swing it once so while your here you have a wonderful platform like the 748R to do it with. Magnesium wheels are an awesome upgrade, love the way they look (if they are the Y spoke type) and love they way they improve the bikes handling. What can you say about having a Termi full system? Love the way they sound, like the little bump in power and the look of the cans and fattened tubes. Add your low miles (not a big deal in my book if service is up to date) and the $8.5K sales price is a real bargin in my book. Actually, its a borderline smokin deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts