Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's time to change the air filter in my S4RS and wanted to get some thoughts from you guys on which air filter is the best performing, and provides the highest HP gains - if any. all opinions welcome, and if anyone has personal experiences with high performance filters please let me know the brand.

also, why can one not use the cone shaped air filters with the liquid cooled engines? I put them on my old bike which was the air cooled engine and they worked great, but i can't find them for liquid cooled engines.

Cheers.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Rice paper is good for at least 1/4 hp.

But only if it’s treated with used Ky. jelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I’m so glad to know you have a sense of humor. It’s getting rare. :)

Honestly, on a stock bike there is nothing better than the stock paper filter. The air box itself will not allow more airflow than the stock element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cut the top of the air box open and put a k&n. Sounds insane at full throttle pulls. The intake gets louder than my exhaust the noise is intoxicating. I dynoed 124 whp with that mod and full Termi system on my S4R.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually already have a full termi system, ECU and open air box, but I guess I could try the K&N. what do you think about the MWR filters? Any good?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I read somewhere it was BMC , though after buying one they look the same as a K&N . It was a very tight fit in the airbox. If you want any flow improvement you will have to open the lid up. The air box volume is very small compared to most Ducati air boxes, and the intake area through the lid is too small. A better flowing filter doesn’t do much good if the air can’t get into the box in the first place.

·
Registered
233 Posts
it's time to change the air filter in my S4RS and wanted to get some thoughts from you guys on which air filter is the best performing, and provides the highest HP gains - if any. all opinions welcome, and if anyone has personal experiences with high performance filters please let me know the brand.

also, why can one not use the cone shaped air filters with the liquid cooled engines? I put them on my old bike which was the air cooled engine and they worked great, but i can't find them for liquid cooled engines.

Cheers.
I currently run a K&N and it does the job, it's pretty much on par with the Ducati Performance one that was installed along with the full Termy and DP ECU
But I will upgrade to the MWR High Efficiency & Standard Air Filter for the Ducati Monster (02-07) as soon as funds permit...

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/...ndard-air-filter-for-the-ducati-monster-02-07

My 2 cents
Pete

·
Registered
442 Posts
MWR filters kick ass. Cant beat the price to performance ratio >:)

Reactions: loony888

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided on the K&N. seems to be the right choice. Thanks for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I use K&N in everything but my Monster. I’ve never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
K&N or Chicken wire. They both filter the dust about the same. The later provides a bit more flow.

K&N Air Filter review

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
MWR filters kick ass. Cant beat the price to performance ratio >:)
This,

want the most power? don't guess, use what the big race teams use, they've tested them and know what offers the least restriction with the best filtration. Often they don't get them as part of sponsorship they pay for them, because they work, and race engines are expensive.

Be prepared for a remap though, a decent filter will flow significantly more than std and you will need to alter your fueling to suit.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
An air filter that is selected for use on a race bike is never a good choice for use on a street bike. Looking for guidance based on what the top class race teams are using is misleading as they only need enough filtration efficiency to last the weekend before they rebuild the engine. Performance filters flows more air but also more dirt and require frequent cleaning before accumulated debris diminish the airflow sufficiently to reduce engine performance. Like after-market exhausts and other "performance said" part manufactures, air filter companies prey on gullibility. It's always a compromise between flow and filtration. Want more flow? Bypass the hypocrisy and remove your air filter altogether. /Sarc

We need to be reminded that a street bike's air filter needs to function for thousands of miles in a variety of dusty conditions before cleaning or replacement. Consequently, it needs to hold a lot more dirt while still maintaining its filtering efficiency. An air filters is for protection not performance.

Furthermore, Ducati air filters are not readily accessible for easy removal. Therefore most users will not replace or clean their "performance" air filter as often as required. Last but not least, our bikes run lean off the showroom floor. Unless you re-balance the AFR, why would you want it leaner? M2C.

Reactions: Strega

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the little gain a K&N or any other free flowing filter will give, (especially without re-mapping the ECU) I'd much rather have the silica filtering protection of a stock filter...... especially if you plan on keeping the bike for any length of time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
An air filter that is selected for use on a race bike is never a good choice for use on a street bike. Looking for guidance based on what the top class race teams are using is misleading as they only need enough filtration efficiency to last the weekend before they rebuild the engine. Performance filters flows more air but also more dirt and require frequent cleaning before accumulated debris diminish the airflow sufficiently to reduce engine performance. Like after-market exhausts and other "performance said" part manufactures, air filter companies prey on gullibility. It's always a compromise between flow and filtration. Want more flow? Bypass the hypocrisy and remove your air filter altogether. /Sarc

We need to be reminded that a street bike's air filter needs to function for thousands of miles in a variety of dusty conditions before cleaning or replacement. Consequently, it needs to hold a lot more dirt while still maintaining its filtering efficiency. An air filters is for protection not performance.

Furthermore, Ducati air filters are not readily accessible for easy removal. Therefore most users will not replace or clean their "performance" air filter as often as required. Last but not least, our bikes run lean off the showroom floor. Unless you re-balance the AFR, why would you want it leaner? M2C.
but that's not what the OP asked is it, he asked for the best performing filter with the highest HP gains.

Up to him whether he services it correctly given it's application, I run MWR on my road bikes and the recommendation is to clean and refill them yearly for road use, so when i change my oil/filter i clean the air filter, it's not hard, just some extra work, you get nothing for nothing

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
@loony888 But we did tell him.
Your last comment is right-on "you get nothing for nothing". There's no free lunch.
The highest hp gain is whatever provides the least protection.
@DuckMan is much too conservative. IMHO, I think cheese cloth flows much better than rice paper.
Add a bit of KY jelly for some "feel-good" assurance.
However, the king of air filter flow goes to K&N...without oil. Second only to chicken wire but ...that's just my opinion.

OK, All kidding aside, @johnnyjellybean is absolutely correct. The stock filter is as good as it gets as a compromise between flow and engine protection.
Ducati R&D spent millions analyzing this trade-off. If there was a better trade-off for the small difference in price of another filter, they would have used it.

I actually asked this question between MRW, Sprint and OEM air filter to David Lillard, President of Rexxer USA and owner of a Ducati Redline performance. This was his reply...verbatim: "The aftermarket makes more intake noise that's it and also allow more debris. The light oil is needed to assist in holding this material. Stock one has a touch of oil as well and works really best for the motor. The .2-.5hp is not worth a rebuild in the future."

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
@loony888 But we did tell him.
Your last comment is right-on "you get nothing for nothing". There's no free lunch.
The highest hp gain is whatever provides the least protection.
@DuckMan is much too conservative. IMHO, I think cheese cloth flows much better than rice paper.
Add a bit of KY jelly for some "feel-good" assurance.
However, the king of air filter flow goes to K&N...without oil. Second only to chicken wire but ...that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately you know very little about quality air filtration because the K&N, in fact any oiled air filter is only the carrier, the oil on the filter is what captures the dirt, dust and debris, the medium that carries the oil determines how well it will flow, and any filter just like anything else is only as good as it's installation.

Ducati have to contend with all sorts of factors when they sell a bike, they have no idea whether the owner lives 10m up a dirt road and use it everyday for work for example, they also have to pass stringent noise tests so a dense filter satisfies both those requirements, and given they need a pass to sell the bike and they offer a warranty it would be foolish of them not to.

If however you don't ride on dirt roads and don't care about extra intake noise etc. then there are gains to be had by replacing the filter and sometimes the entire air box with an aftermarket part that caters for performance, which obviously has it's limitations in other areas, just like the factory filter does.

All about the application, and just because you're too lazy to service a performance product correctly doesn't mean everyone is, just like not everyone actually wants to improve the performance of their bike, whether they do or not is irrelevant, fact is there are options available that work, and work well, it's not for you, that's ok, but that doesn't mean it's not for everybody.

And changing an air filter, especially going with a decent high flowing performance one like the MWR etc. will definitely need a remap, and with that remap comes the extra gains in HP and TQ

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
@loony888
You are absolutely right: I know nothing about filtration which is why I go by the expert's conclusions.
Both the President of Rexxer and this air filter analysis:
Air Filter comparison test

BTW, if you're going to quote me, then quote the whole thing, not just bits and pieces.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
@loony888
You are absolutely right: I know nothing about filtration which is why I go by the expert's conclusions.
Both the President of Rexxer and this air filter analysis:
Air Filter comparison test

BTW, if you're going to quote me, then quote the whole thing, not just bits and pieces.
I did quote the whole thing, unfortunately as i was writing my post and had clicked on "quote" you were editing your post.

Nothing malicious, and don't get all precious, i can't help it if you decide to add to your post while i'm replying at the same time...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts