Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read and googled, but can't find the difference specifically.

What I think...

They are both 25mm diameter on the nut and through the wheel,

they are the same length

The larger diameter section under the right fork bottom is the same length

Speedo spacing is the same

BUT the 999 has a 5mm greater diameter on the right fork bottom.

Does anyone KNOW if that is accurate?

I want to use a 748 wheel, speedo spacer, and rotors with 749 forks and axle.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any differences between these axles but I allready have the setup you want to.
Allthough I've used the 749 fork + axle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if there are any differences between these axles but I allready have the setup you want to.
Allthough I've used the 749 fork + axle.
Thanks - so you took only the 749 forks and axle and put them on a 748 with no other changes?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, there was one, the front mudguard :)

But no other changes...!!!
The 748 wheel including the mechanic speedo drive fits without any aditional spacers or what so ever.

Plug & play

But if you are going for the 749 mudguard like, me you will notice this mudguard won't aloud the routing of your 748 speedo cable, the 749 hasn't got one.

You have to drill a hole in the lh side of the mudguard just like the one on the rh side.
Route your speedo drive cable trough that hole and you're done!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
748 wheel will fit to 749 axle, I have 916 wheel to 1198 axle & forks.

Spindle size is the same so any wheels will fit (may need spacers to fit or compensate for speedo cutout in older wheel?) but you need to use the axle specific to the forks.

You also need to address the disc offset which is 5mm bigger on 749 but the discs are not compatible between wheels due to the 6 hole vs. 5 hole bolt pattern.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disc Offset

748 wheel will fit to 749 axle, I have 916 wheel to 1198 axle & forks.

Spindle size is the same so any wheels will fit (may need spacers to fit or compensate for speedo cutout in older wheel?) but you need to use the axle specific to the forks.

You also need to address the disc offset which is 5mm bigger on 749 but the discs are not compatible between wheels due to the 6 hole vs. 5 hole bolt pattern.
The disc offset is only an issue if you change wheels, right? Not if you are just changing forks. Or do I have that wrong?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The disc offset is only an issue if you change wheels, right? Not if you are just changing forks. Or do I have that wrong?
749 forks will need the 15mm offset due to the caliper spacing, 748 discs are 10mm spacing so will not line up. You can't fit a 749 disc to a 748 wheel because the 749 disc only has 5 bolt holes where the 748 has 6. So you'll need either to space the 748 discs out by 5mm (not recommended) or, better, use 15mm offset 748 discs which were made for 748RS and 998RS but are not so easily available.

I wouldn't space the 10mm discs as it means the disc isn't properly located around the wheel, it also may give speedo drive clearance issues (if you're keeping the mechanical speedo).

Alternatively use a 749 wheel but it doesn't have the speedo recess so you can't use the 748 mechanical speedo.

I have a 916 (style) Marchesini wheel in 1198 forks with a (30mm) speedo replacement spacer to fill the void in the wheel and 15mm offset Brembo HP discs on my 916 and everything fits and works fine but I have a digital speedo that picks up from the rear wheel.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok - I have all my answers - much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP Question

Now I have a few questions.

What bike are we talking about?
a 749 or a 748 with a 749 fork?
I was asking about putting 749 forks on a 748.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts