Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still shopping for that yellow biposto 2001 and newer duc. however, prices are all over the place. i missed a 2004 matrix 998 with 700 miles for $12500 by a day. uggghh.

anyway, where i can a get good idea as to what i should be paying for this type of bike? i know they're hard to find to a certain degree, making it a seller's market. it's been really frustrating as some people think they're entitled to $14K for an 02 998 with 10K miles. Yeah right.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
deputydog95 said:
still shopping for that yellow biposto 2001 and newer duc. however, prices are all over the place. i missed a 2004 matrix 998 with 700 miles for $12500 by a day. uggghh.

anyway, where i can a get good idea as to what i should be paying for this type of bike? i know they're hard to find to a certain degree, making it a seller's market. it's been really frustrating as some people think they're entitled to $14K for an 02 998 with 10K miles. Yeah right.
Kelly blue book will get you the "right" price. But that won't take into account extremely clean bikes or "special bikes" which sellers will charge more for (what formula they use, i don't know, I guess whatever the market will bear).

I'm glad I got mine, that was a crazy time looking for a good one :) Mine was a grand over KBB (paid 11.5k) but it had lots of carbon bits and it was very clean. I didn't mind paying a bit more for it.

Unfortunately, finding a cheap one will get harder as time goes by. I think an unmolested 2002 748/998 series will get more expensive.

I know if I were to sell mine (and I would never) I would start at 14-15k, just because it is the last of a legend (and its low miles and it is a clean example and they are more rare now and a yellow mono is tough to get).

I didn't want a 2001 or a 2000, I wanted specifically the 2002 because I wanted the "last" model year. You're probably seeing that mentality sometimes.

Now, you've been inside the mind of a crazy person :) hopefully you can use that information against them (good luck).

There are deals out there, keep your eyes open, frequent every ducati board, post some WTB get the word out. Someone is bound to get divorced or something along those lines. Most of it is timing.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
level7 said:
Kelly blue book will get you the "right" price. But that won't take into account extremely clean bikes or "special bikes" which sellers will charge more for (what formula they use, i don't know, I guess whatever the market will bear).
KBB is not always the most accurate or best source....that is why I always consult www.NADA.com as well for comparison!

·
Registered
113 Posts
hello, i have several mods on my '01 996 and know that i won't see any of the money i paid for them, but I am interested in selling mine.. i will be up front with you..it needs some work..... if you are interested, email me.... I have many spares and a motogp kit coming for it tomorrow... thanx. eric

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Just look hard. I got my '02 998 biposto (with the extra mono) w/ Silmotor Ti half system for $8500. It had 4K mi. I was lucky to be tipped off by BCM and I got there quickly.

bruce19

·
Registered
95 Posts
Deputydog95,
I dont know if you would be interested, but I have a 98 748, that has been converted with an 01 996 motor. There are to many mods to list here, but if you email me, I would be more than happy to send you photos and specifics. You wont be disappointed!
Paul
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
pak996 said:
Deputydog95,
I dont know if you would be interested, but I have a 98 748, that has been converted with an 01 996 motor. There are to many mods to list here, but if you email me, I would be more than happy to send you photos and specifics. You wont be disappointed!
Paul
[email protected]
how'd that conversion go? i plan on doinf it to my 97 in a year or so. it seems fairly easy

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info guys. i really want an 01 or newer 996 or 998 yellow biposto in perfect shape with under 10K miles. yeah, i know i'm picky :D

i'll take a look at both kbb and nada for comparison. this is a tough search. seems like every single one i have found so far has been down, dropped, or had some other issue. and the ones that haven't are 25 percent over book value.

the search continues.....

level 7: i didn't really understand your post about the 02 being the last model year. didn't they have a 998 of some version or another up until 04? i was looking at an 04 matrix 998 this week.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
deputydog95 said:
thanks for all the info guys. i really want an 01 or newer 996 or 998 yellow biposto in perfect shape with under 10K miles. yeah, i know i'm picky :D

i'll take a look at both kbb and nada for comparison. this is a tough search. seems like every single one i have found so far has been down, dropped, or had some other issue. and the ones that haven't are 25 percent over book value.

the search continues.....

level 7: i didn't really understand your post about the 02 being the last model year. didn't they have a 998 of some version or another up until 04? i was looking at an 04 matrix 998 this week.
Yeah, it's kind of weird. There was a 998s FE (final edition, only in red) that I think you had to order or something in the US (Europe, I believe was in full production till 04) and I'm not quite sure of the Matrix. I think that was a "special" run to coinside with the movie.

I'm thinking officially, 02 was the last production run, nothing in 03 and the two special models in 04 at least in the US. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. So you couldn't get a regular 998 or 748 in 04 in the US.

Good luck,try hard for a 998. It has the classic style and the newer motor which some on this board is finding out it is holding up much better then the older engine (valves, etc.).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here's another example of this pricing:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/138226492.html

nice bike and a really nice guy, but he won't come off that price, even after I told him I could have bought an 04 matrix 998 with 700 miles for 12.5 and that blue book "dealer" pricing is around 10.8

and, it's been dropped. i told him to keep the helmet, but i got the impression that the helmet really has nothing to do with the price.

what is up with this ducati crowd anyway? i have yet to find one for sale, anywhere, that hasn't been dropped, crashed, or tipped over. most have been fixed, but the minute i start asking questions it always starts with "well, i was moving the bike and I wasn't paying attention..." seriously. i've probably called on 10 bikes at this point, even some red ones just because i'm impatient. everybody's got a story. isn't there anyone out there that just putted around on theirs without dumping it??? :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
IIRC, 2002 was the last year the 998 was imported into the United States.

You are dealing with a supply/demand issue. The demand is higher than the supply, so expect to pay more. If you really want it, either wait it out until you find one at the price you are willing to pay... or expect to pay. That is really all there is to it.

Everyone has a story? Well, I'm sure that's true to some extent, especially if you are dealing with someone that actually rides said bike rather than keeping it as a show-piece. Mine decided to take the high-dive off the top of a ramp going into a truck... no, not I that did it (twas my fiance).

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aZoomm said:
Everyone has a story? Well, I'm sure that's true to some extent, especially if you are dealing with someone that actually rides said bike rather than keeping it as a show-piece. Mine decided to take the high-dive off the top of a ramp going into a truck... no, not I that did it (twas my fiance).

QUOTE]

yet another one. is there anyone on here that hasn't either crashed or tipped their bike over yet? i think the local ducati clubs should do some training on proper kickstand use and moving the bikes around the garage :D

i've owned a lot of different bikes, and I've never seen anything like this. i've only had one bike (aprilia mille R) go down and that was at the track, out of probably over a dozen motorcycles. almost like there is some sort of italian curse on 996/998's :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
deputydog95 said:
here's another example of this pricing:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/138226492.html

nice bike and a really nice guy, but he won't come off that price, even after I told him I could have bought an 04 matrix 998 with 700 miles for 12.5 and that blue book "dealer" pricing is around 10.8

and, it's been dropped. i told him to keep the helmet, but i got the impression that the helmet really has nothing to do with the price.

what is up with this ducati crowd anyway? i have yet to find one for sale, anywhere, that hasn't been dropped, crashed, or tipped over. most have been fixed, but the minute i start asking questions it always starts with "well, i was moving the bike and I wasn't paying attention..." seriously. i've probably called on 10 bikes at this point, even some red ones just because i'm impatient. everybody's got a story. isn't there anyone out there that just putted around on theirs without dumping it??? :D
Alot of people flog them, it is a racing bike after all. Alot of the people on this board take them to the track. Hang in there. You may fair better in the fall since riding season is about to start up again.

As for putting/dumping, I won't respond directly to that for fear I may jinx myself. :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The best way to determine an accurate "right now" price on just about anything is to put it up for sale on eBay - the current market decides - they are never wrong.

If you are the buyer, look through the history of closed auctions. Unfortunately, eBay only keeps 3 mos of history. They really should keep more.

The "Asking" price and "Bidding" Price doesn't mean anything until the buyer and seller meet at a common price. On eBay, that can only be determined by the closed auctions and completed delivery on both sides. Prices on KBB are derived from report from dealers that do not include a critical component for bikes (especially high-end) -- the condition.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
deputydog95 said:
aZoomm said:

QUOTE]

yet another one. is there anyone on here that hasn't either crashed or tipped their bike over yet? i think the local ducati clubs should do some training on proper kickstand use and moving the bikes around the garage :D

i've owned a lot of different bikes, and I've never seen anything like this. i've only had one bike (aprilia mille R) go down and that was at the track, out of probably over a dozen motorcycles. almost like there is some sort of italian curse on 996/998's :)
I think the guy that designed the 999 put the hex on the 996/998, as he was very jealous ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
deputydog95 said:
Welcome to the world of used bikes :D - where patience and timing make all the difference

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kind of ironic. on the zx10r forum that i'm on because of my current bike, they either total them out or they're in pristine condition. you don't seem to find these "tipovers" in the garage.

how do you check closed auctions on ebay?

i may have a lead on an 04 matrix. i found an old old ad and decided to email the guy anyway. he called me back and the bike is still available. problem is he is 2000 miles away. we're still negotiating :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
deputydog95 said:
how do you check closed auctions on ebay?
Right beside the search field, there is a link titled "Advanced Search" there. Click on it, and once you're in that page, check "completed auctions only"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts