Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this a while back and love it but I don't think motorcycles are for me. I just don't feel safe riding a motorcycle anymore and at this point in my life I rather be safe then sorry.
I've been on the forum and got some great information from here and thought I would post this to see what this is really worth. I know what I paid for it and how much for I put into it. I would like to try to sell it and get some money back. If I don't I'd probably just end up keeping it and riding it once a week or something.
Anyways here are the details on it. I bought the bike from the second owner a few months ago. He has owned the bike since it had 800 miles and bought it from a friend of his who was the original owner. The second owner did some track days with it and low slided it at buttonwillow. He reported it to his insurance company which of totalled it and he bought it back knowing the extent of the damage. Of course now it has salvage title. The damage to the fairings are still visible, I ride with it the way it is. Anyways, here are some spec on it.
1999 Ducati 996s #164
12k miles
EBC Rotors with Carbone Lorraine Pads
Fast By Ferracci Full Exhaust
Seller said it was tuned
Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder
Racing Rearsets
Vented CF Clutch Cover
CF Gas tank cover
CF Swing Arm Cover
CF Air Runners
CF sproket Cover

The bike runs great, handles good and is a lot of fun. What would you guys think a fair price would be for this bike. Like I said I know this is salvage title but I know the extent of the damage and it was not that bad at all. I still have most of the damaged bits and pieces which the buyer can have if they want. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would think right around $3500 as the salvage title kills the resale of a bike. Plus it sounds like you have no documentation of any service so I would assume I would have to fork out an extra $1K right off to pay for a full service.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch, I was hoping for a bit more then that. I do not have any documention on the service. The seller when I bought it did state the the belts were serviced 800 miles ago and I've put another 500-600 miles since I've owned it. I did the oil change and filter myself when I bought it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You'll do better if you...

...Break the bike down and sell it off part by part. It's more time consuming but you'll pocket 2wice the money. All you need is tools, a digital camera, and time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bought this a while back and love it but I don't think motorcycles are for me. I just don't feel safe riding a motorcycle anymore and at this point in my life I rather be safe then sorry.
I've been on the forum and got some great information from here and thought I would post this to see what this is really worth. I know what I paid for it and how much for I put into it. I would like to try to sell it and get some money back. If I don't I'd probably just end up keeping it and riding it once a week or something.
Anyways here are the details on it. I bought the bike from the second owner a few months ago. He has owned the bike since it had 800 miles and bought it from a friend of his who was the original owner. The second owner did some track days with it and low slided it at buttonwillow. He reported it to his insurance company which of totalled it and he bought it back knowing the extent of the damage. Of course now it has salvage title. The damage to the fairings are still visible, I ride with it the way it is. Anyways, here are some spec on it.
1999 Ducati 996s #164
12k miles
EBC Rotors with Carbone Lorraine Pads
Fast By Ferracci Full Exhaust
Seller said it was tuned
Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder
Racing Rearsets
Vented CF Clutch Cover
CF Gas tank cover
CF Swing Arm Cover
CF Air Runners
CF sproket Cover

The bike runs great, handles good and is a lot of fun. What would you guys think a fair price would be for this bike. Like I said I know this is salvage title but I know the extent of the damage and it was not that bad at all. I still have most of the damaged bits and pieces which the buyer can have if they want. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
A 12k mile 996 is ready for a couple of new rockers, especially if with track time in its history, cam belts over two years old are needing replacing, so a full service is in order $1k+

Now factor in the salvage history, as many out there think this is the plague for motorcycles, which can be total Bu**sh*t and then on some bikes maybe not.
A full exhaust helps the value, old carbon fiber parts= little value. Rashed bodywork=negative value.
And in today's market is in the toilet. $4300.00 max, if you get lucky......... Part it out and you may get $6-7k.........
Sorry!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 12k mile 996 is ready for a couple of new rockers, especially if with track time in its history, cam belts over two years old are needing replacing, so a full service is in order $1k+

Now factor in the salvage history, as many out there think this is the plague for motorcycles, which can be total Bu**sh*t and then on some bikes maybe not.
A full exhaust helps the value, old carbon fiber parts= little value. Rashed bodywork=negative value.
And in today's market is in the toilet. $4300.00 max, if you get lucky......... Part it out and you may get $6-7k.........
Sorry!
What would be of value if I part it out?

·
Registered
797 Posts
As already stated IF you take the time and break it down, you may see $6-7k in return.

For grins type in the ebay Parts, "Ducati 996" or 748 or 916, and spend some time reviewing what others are asking for their parts.

I would suggest though keeping the engine together except for the removing the clutch, but everything else as one-off's.............

Best of luck
M

·
Registered
178 Posts
A salvage title usually cuts the value in half. If you have the time and energy part it out. It's a ton of work, but pays off.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
As already stated IF you take the time and break it down, you may see $6-7k in return.

For grins type in the ebay Parts, "Ducati 996" or 748 or 916, and spend some time reviewing what others are asking for their parts.
Sometimes it is a little shocking what the parts are actually going for. It may be beneficial to add up all the going prices for the parts before spending the time to take it apart. I've been watching and buying parts over the last few weeks to rebuild my 748. I've seen sets of regular forks going in the $125-$170 range. I was shocked and saw a set around two months ago sell for $38 plus shipping! The TiN forks going for $275-$380. A complete instrument cluster went for $71 last night. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a complete instrument cluster with headlight bucket and front wiring harness with relays for $139. I watched an aluminum sub-frame sell for $75 BIN last week. Steel subframes are practically worthless. Air ducts are plentiful for $10 a pair (I think there are three of them on eBay for $10, right now). Tanks often will not sell for over $150 and you are hard-pressed over $200. Airboxes and front fenders show up in the $15-$25 range. Engines are listed at $900+, but I have yet to see one sell (a year ago I bought a 916 ST4 engine with the wiring harness, ECU, FBF chip, throttlebodies, airbox, K&N filter, and a box of miscellaneous parts for $900).

Don't be surprised if you part the bike out and do NOT get more than you would for selling it together. Then, again, you'll probably have a frame that no one will want, and a lot of the smaller pieces will wind up thrown away or shelved for a long time. Not to mention the amount of time you will have invested in taking it apart, taking pictures, potential fees (if you use an auction site), boxing the items up, time to run to ship them, and all the other headaches.

Maybe try to sell it through a race forums like WERA or through a trackday sponsor as a track bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts