Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent move closer to the beach has meant that my '92 900ss needs to go as I just don't have the space for it anymore. Any idea what a completely stock bike in great condition with 13K miles is worth? I am the second owner and I have all the docs back to the Bill of Sale. Prices seem to float between $3K to $5K but I was wondering if there was any premium for a white frame bike with no frame cracks. Bike is located in Southern California if that matters.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I don't have a definitive answer . Is it an SP ? If it's as me as it looks in the pic, and it's an SP, I'd ask $5 and take what your heart will allow.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I don't have a definitive answer . Is it an SP ? If it's as me as it looks in the pic, and it's an SP, I'd ask $5 and take what your heart will allow.
No SPs were made in 1992.

If your bike's really clean I'd bet you could get $4,000. I sold a low mileage 1998 SS/FE, 1 1/2 years ago for $5,000, so that might be a little on the high side.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Condition would be more decidinig factor. The white frame bikes did not crack frames so that is a plus and the oem white frame/black wheels will be appealing to some. I would price it around $4000-5000 and see if you get any interest. they are not making any more and you have the records which is a huge plus.

Too many supersports have been neglected and abused since becoming just a cheap Ducati so someone who wants a nice one should be willing to pay a premium for that alone. Yes you will get people who say I can buy the same bike for $3000 but it may be a clapped out bike with cracked frame ,bad studs and a million miles.

92 should have a good frame and studs
less desirable swingarm unless it has been changed (fishmouthed front is prone to cracks) and it was pre-sp so it has no iron floaters .

Good luck on the sale someone will have a great bike!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
That is beautiful. I had one like it (right down to the black wheels) when I lived in So Cal (and when I joined this forum), but it wasn't nearly as nice. It had 26K on the clock, rear fender hacked and zit turn signals, and it needed a carb rebuild (I ended up installing flatslides). And that was $3500 (maybe a little high, but I loved it anyway).

Honestly, if I was on the warpath for another nice white-framed bike (love them), I'd probably drop $4500 for yours in a minute. It's got it all, nice stock condition, records, etc. Hell, I kind of want it now. :grin2:

Good luck with the sale.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Whats it worth?

I would have given 5 easy for it if it is as nice as you say. Sometimes these things play against how long you want to be a bike peddler. At the low end you could sell it in a week if not sooner, at the high end it might take some nice pictures and a few ads here and there so there are more "shoppers" to deal with that take away your time and can drag things out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One very similar to yours recently languished for months on Craigslist in Orange County (just down the road for those that don't know) and I think the last price I saw it listed at was about $3200. I don't think a lot of people are seeking them out with the exception of enthusiasts you see here. It's worth what someone will pay. List it high, but be prepared for it to take time.

These bikes are so small (and narrow) it's very easy to store them just about anywhere. Yours would look good in the living room. I wasn't in the market for another one when I got mine, but the price was too good to pass up and it's taking up very little space in my garden shed while I re-build the carbs and other bits. I'd keep it.

Reactions: thrasher_s

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I plan on listing the bike with a decent reserve and if it does not sell I will drain the gas and put a cover over her so after I have left this mortal coil she becomes one of those barn finds everyone gushes over.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put it on eBay but if it doesn't sell I will find some space for it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like we now know what the market price is for a really nice totally stock two owner bike - $3250. To me it seems such a low price for what is such a cool bike. I think I will drain the carbs and park it in the corner of the garage.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Keep in mind ebay (and craigslist) are just a snapshot of a certain time period. The only people who bid or looked were those who happened to search at the same time you had it listed. For a quick check there is only 2 on ebay right now and one is a track bike. I would think that advertising it on the ducati forums where someone who is looking for a clean example of the bike will be willing to pay what the bike is worth.

I collect firearms and you can walk into most gun shops and find an old gun that is just an old gun to most. But to a collector who knows what they are after it can be worth much more and they are willing to pay an honest price. I would just keep it well and occasionally post it on forums like this one and you will make someone very happy to buy a good example, vs the guy just looking to buy the cheapest example and then complain on forums like this that everything is wrong or broken on the "deal" he found. "These bikes are junk" crowd often comes from these "deal" bikes.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually think I could live with the 900 if I do the straight handlebar conversion that I saw one guy do here. I had a Monster years ago that I loved but my Dad totaled it. If I could find a SoCal straight trade for a good Monster I would be all over it. I think all I need is a set of Monster Triple Clamp, bars and another front fairing to cut down to clear the bars. The I might have the best of both worlds!

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Monster trees
headlight bracket
headlight
Handlebars
brake lines/throttle cables (longer if need be for higher bars)

This should convert it over and just lose the front fairings, no permanent changes so it could go back to stock. Tree offset is a little less but I swap the other way and the chassis would be fine with it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ducvet. Think I'm going to pick up another front fairing and cut it down as I like the look of the SS but prefer the straight bars of the Monster. If anyone has a spare red front fairing let me know.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
..... vs the guy just looking to buy the cheapest example and then complain on forums like this that everything is wrong or broken on the "deal" he found.
..... or even worse, starts "improving" on the design with the help from his drunken buddies involving a hacksaw blade and a rattlecan spray job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts