Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, what do you guys carry in your tool kit when you ride?

My recent SS purchase came with the ultimate weight saving tool kit, comprising of nothing.

I want to put a custom tool kit together before I start on the weekender trips as the warmer weather rolls into Sydney, and would like to be as prepared as possible.

·
Registered
198 Posts
allen keys , a few metric spanners ,shifter , plug socket ,flathead & phillips screwdriver , spare plugs ,cable ties ,some nylon rope & gaff tape (very handy),pliers ..mini Led torch...Money & phone & …oh yeah now i have a Sargent seat so in the extra storage cylinder i can carry a can of beer or water in case it's a complete "NO GO" breakdown :D

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Plugs and wrench, Allen keys, small bungees, zip ties, cell phone

·
Registered
82 Posts
My old KZ had enough tools and combined with the center stand you could completely disassemble the whole bike and rebuild the engine on the side of the road. My 750ie came with a couple tools but I generally carry a set of allen wrenches and enough tools to adjust the rear tire if need be. But a cellphone and a credit card are good insurance. Here in San Diego there are a few guys that specialize in towing bikes for a real decent price.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Most of above. My tool kit for car / bike is this:

Technology Electronic device Electronics Gadget
Electronic device Technology Gadget Electronic instrument

Awesome tool set, with some supplements covers a lot.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,366 Posts
My bike didn't come with a tool kit either so I picked up a CruzTools metric EconoKit M1 and added a Motion Pro mini chain press tool to it. I also carry a Genuine Innovations tire repair kit and a spare set of timing belts as well.

Might look like a lot but it all fits nicely in the storage space beneath the seat. Comes in handy too,can't tell you how many times I've used that tool kit to make roadside repairs on my bike as well as other people's bikes.

CruzTools metric tool kit webpage. Click me.>>>>>Metric Tool Kits - CruzTOOLS

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
My bike didn't come with a tool kit either so I picked up a CruzTools metric EconoKit M1 and added a Motion Pro mini chain press tool to it. I also carry a Genuine Innovations tire repair kit and a spare set of timing belts as well.

Might look like a lot but it all fits nicely in the storage space beneath the seat. Comes in handy too,can't tell you how many times I've used that tool kit to make roadside repairs on my bike as well as other people's bikes.

CruzTools metric tool kit webpage. Click me.>>>>>Metric Tool Kits - CruzTOOLS
SNAP! Exactly what I use apart from the mini chain tool & belts. :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
+100 to what y'all have mentioned.

I carry a multi-tool leatherman. 100' of 550 cord. Allens. Set of plugs and plug socket. Zip ties. Electrical and duct tape. Chicken wire. High intensity Flashlight. Magnet. Mini air compressor. Map. Extra cash. Crescent wrench. Fuses. Clears. Sunglasses. Hat. Extra mags for my .45 Energy bar. Dermabond. Mirror. Mini torch. Poncho. Foil blanket.

It all fits pretty snug by utilizing every inch of available space. But I will always be prepared for any and all situations I may encounter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on guys, thanks for the inspiration! Keep em coming!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Small clip-top lunchbox:

Two spare plugs, gloves, microfibre, spare washers, bolts, zipties, 10/12mm plug spanner, crosshead screwdriver, allen wrenches, electrical tape, blade, spare slave seal, headlight bulb, 8 & 10mm spanners...

Amusingly has been used more to sort out my mates Honda than it has to mend my bike??!

Also have a 500ml coke bottle under the seat 3/4 full with 15w50 for those longer-journey top-ups! :D

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
What size Allen keys and wrenches do you recommend for a carby SS??

I'm just thinking of the bare minimum for the most essential things like fairing removal and brakes/ other things I might need to get at.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,366 Posts
What size Allen keys and wrenches do you recommend for a carby SS??

I'm just thinking of the bare minimum for the most essential things like fairing removal and brakes/ other things I might need to get at.
4,5,6,8,and 10 are the most common.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use most of what has been posted above. I also have these in my tool kit:

and

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Two octopus straps.

I can strap on a carton of beer in about 30 seconds, but the pillion has to walk home.

The straps are true, but the extras to the stock kit is hex keys - F knows why they are not included as you need them to be able to top up oil, plus cable ties and insulating tape.

I reckon if you can't fix it with occy straps, cable ties or insulating tape then a tow is on the cards. Never had to use any, apart from the beer straps on my bike but have bodged a few others to keep us going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts