Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my first aid kit (got soaked on my last ride). I think I bought it at a camping store and wanted thoughts on replacing it.

What are MUST-HAVE items for any first aid kit?

What are NICE-TO-HAVE items for any good first aid kit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
All I carry are few band-aids for minor scrapes and cuts, and one military battle dressing (a combined triangular bandage and dressing) for a large wound. Anything the single battle dressing can't handle will probably require EMS.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
i have my pocket knife, if I need rags I can cut them from my shirt.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I use superglue to seal up gashes. You just have to be careful to not glue your fingers to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
+1 superglue. I keep that and a small first aid kit an emt friend gave me in the left pocket of my v-pilot but I have no idea what's in it. Now would be a good time to check it out, thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Been a long time since I did my first aid training, but I remember seeing an inflatable splint that could be used on an arm or lower leg - assuming it's not a big item to pack I could see how such a thing could prove tremendously useful in an MC first aid kit. Last time I saw an MC accident I saw two unrelated accidents within two hours, each with a broken lower leg!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Been a long time since I did my first aid training, but I remember seeing an inflatable splint that could be used on an arm or lower leg - assuming it's not a big item to pack I could see how such a thing could prove tremendously useful in an MC first aid kit. Last time I saw an MC accident I saw two unrelated accidents within two hours, each with a broken lower leg!
Oh, and laytex (or similar) gloves are a MUST, and one really should have a mask with one-way breather tube for CPR (both pack really small)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh, and laytex (or similar) gloves are a MUST, and one really should have a mask with one-way breather tube for CPR (both pack really small)

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1 on the gloves and mask for CPR; I forgot I have them, too!

I'm not sure I'd bother carrying a splint of any kind. Splinting is to prevent further injury during movement, and it's probable that anyone with a fracture is going to need an ambulance, which will have splints. As long as the injured person is not moved until the ambulance arrives, it's really not necessary to splint the injury.

Actually, perhaps the most important thing is some first aid training. Knowing how to assess an injured person, being able to support their circulation and breathing, and knowing how to stabilize any potential spinal injuries are useful skills for any rider.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually, perhaps the most important thing is some first aid training. Knowing how to assess an injured person, being able to support their circulation and breathing, and knowing how to stabilize any potential spinal injuries are useful skills for any rider.
+1 On having a basic medical training knowledge. This is one part where my years as a boy scout pays off!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Great thread. There was one over at ADV that I came across recently which appeared to have been responded to by someone in the medical profession and who offered some seemingly good info.

I for one would like to take a first aid class some day although our two kids feel like they've given me a head start :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
CPR and First aid training are at the top of my list. At this point I just carry a basic scrapes and booboo kit. Which as I learned in a recent self defense course isn't as useful as you might think (less is better). The big thing I was told is to learn to use tourniquets which is the opposite of what I learned in Boy Scouts.

Broken bones won't necassarily kill you. Bleeding out will. Learn how to prevent that so the EMT's can get your friend to the real doctors.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I get 8hrs of CPR First aid every year as part of my job. I carry a fairly well stocked military trauma bag.

FWIW they teach CPR with just chest compressions now no breaths.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I keep some cash in mine ($50),, lost my wallet during a ride once, and when it came time to fill up... i was a**ed out.. stuck in the boons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been a lifeguard and I just re-up'd my CPR and first aid last year.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use 2 kits on my bike. A small one on the left that lives in the topbox and a slightly larger one that is taken on tour on the right. Bike key shown for scale.

Contents:

Small kit that lives on the bike (sorry for the crappy photo)

Disposable gloves
Medical tape – 2 rolls different sizes
Betadine antiseptic – yellow plastic bottle
Unisept antiseptic wash – clear pink sachet
Primapore non-stick wound dressing
Small conforming bandage
Medical needle (splinters and draining wounds)
Wound closures – like boxers use on eye cuts
(Note domestic super glue as some commented is cyanide based (Cyanomethylacrylate) is not safe and is toxic. There are medical versions but they are different!)
Band aids
Oral rehydration salts 1 sachet
Strepsils
Panadol
Orabase for mouth wounds
Cold and flu tablets
Antihistamines Phenergan (strong) Zyrtec (weak) - (for allergic reactions to insect stings)

Touring kit

Compeed compression bandage (for sprains or snake bite)
Stingose (Pain relief for bites and stings from insects and jellyfish etc)
Skin cream
Insect repellent wipes (Dengue, Ross River Virus, Malaria)
2 kinds of Gastrolyte ssalt replacement sachets
Digene chewable antacid
Paxidorm (gentle sleeping assistance if you are sick)
Bandaids
2 kinds of different size water wound dressings

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another thing I've found very useful is the free first aid app that was put out by the Red Cross. It's got a nifty "press here if this an emergency situation" that helps you assess the victim, etc. Best of all, it fits right inside your phone! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts