Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
So let me see if we are on the same page.
the bike smokes out the pipe that is the high point (either), and smells from the smoke.
does the smoke have any color to it? blueish, white,black?
when you removed the slip-ons was there any reside in the pipe?
if so was it powder? Wet? smell like fuel?
is the bike stored outside? could water be getting into the cans?

I see exhaust that will bleed a blackish water from the header to slip-on junction. nothing more than water trapped in the system that has not burned off. is the smoke there after a long ride?
how many miles are on the bike?
what are you using for octane? is the bike carboned up?

I would love to see the bike smoking to get a better idea of how bad the smoking is. Have you tried running the bike (not riding just running) without the cans on to see if the problem lies with the cans?

from what you have described it probably is not something major (750s don't have that many problems) but keep at it . something will turn up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes it smokes out the high sided pipe, not just the right as i earlier thought.
only the smoke stinks, and yes its definitly a whitish color with maybe just a slight blue hue to it. there is carbon deposit all ove inside the cans and the exhaust when i took them off... just as youd see on normal car exhausts.
it did not smell light fuel at all. the bike is stored inside my garage kept dry for the last 2 months.
the slip on junction leaks nothing, just the front tip of the can on the right side can has a slight exhaust leak when it warms up.
I never noticed the smoke in the summer but i did notice the smell always no matter what length of ride.
the bike has 7000 miles on it, it was in a lowsideing and left to sit for a couple years before it was all fixed up and sold to me.( i pieced this all together after i bought it) sinec the tank was extremely rusted and the freshly painted fairings and replacement right mirror. but i fixed the rusty tank with the kreem tank. and replaced the clogged fuel filter and its running great since then.
im using 91 octane, i ran like a 1/4 tank of 97 through it just to test it out once but quickly went back to 91 and have run injector cleaner through the system.
and all the tests im doing lately is with it just idling up to warm in my garage since its -15 celcius out and there is snow and ice everywhere on the roads. :(
yes i ran it this morning without the exhaust on and with other mint cans i had, and it still comes out.... i will take pics and post them if that would help... to give you an idea, light a piece of paper on fire and then blow it out and let the ashes smoke away and it looks alot like that.
thanks for the questions. keep em coming. ill go get some pics and post em.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok so i went and played around alot more with it and found something very confusing and different from my earlier statement.... i only tested with one muffler off earlier and now i just tested with both mufflers removed and just found out if i run it with just one muffler that one will do the smoking, no matter what side i leave on, and im talking my old oem 750SS cans or the new oem 900SS cans.... they both do the same... but without the cans on it, it just smells like its burning rich which it should right since the bike is cold and needs to warm up for like 20 minutes to get the oil hot. or is it ever supposed to smell really rich?
This new found cause of the terrible smelling smoke seems to be the mufflers for some odd reason that i dont understand... but im starting to think it might be the conditions or something... can anyone shed any light on this? ill go upstairs to my pc now and add the pic

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
here they are the one pic where the smoke is lesser thats what it normally looks like, the one with the massive amount that looks alot like steam is the worst ive ever seen it after i let the bike worm up for only ten minutes then shut it off... then the other pic is the inside of the slip on mounting holes.

but like i said wierd that it doesnt make any foul smelling burning smell when the mufflers are removed... now i feel like ive wasted this topic on the wrong problem because its probably somethign but what would be burning in the cans that smells terrible? like nostril burning bad but it does not smell of gas...

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Water can smell pretty bad if it's picked up some exhaust deposits, like it would if it condensed inside the cans.

How hot do the cans get when just sitting there idling? It may not be enough to burn off the condensation and maybe that has soaked (well, relatively speaking) the packing material now.

If it smells nostril-burning bad even without the smoke, like you mentioned it did in the summer, I would consider them separate problems. I've smelled exhaust before that had a sort of burning property to my nostrils, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the causes of said exhaust to help you out. It might just be a bad mixture setting that will go away if you have it tuned. I'd start with that manual and go through the tuning procedures and see if you still have the smell.

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
the really smoky picture looks like you fogged the motor. Water (condestation will smoke for sure and anything smoking out of those pipes will smell rank.
It is possible that the packing is burning, it could be saturated with carbon from running rich. before i got too worried I would warm it completely at least until the oil cooler gets hot to the touch.
If it still is smoking after a few heat cycles have the shop tuning it put it on a sniffer and check CO and HC. the computer you have in the bike is pretty robust but the air pressure sensor is built into it and they do fail causing the bikes to sometimes run rich.

Also unless you have hi-comp pistons in the motor run low to mid grade octane fuel. the hi-test will carbon the motor up unless it lives on the track.
What octane ratings do you have at the pumps in canada? RON, MON or like us RON+MON/2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
interesting thoughts... not ron like the duc manual has... it just says 91 catane for premium... theres the option of 87 - reg or mid 89 or prem 91... which i hear is similar to 95 ron which is what the haynes manual recommends... i thought these sport bikes all had high compression pistons needing the high octane fuel?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
tomorrow maybe ill top up the tank and let er run for an hour and really warm up. if that still doesnt fix it i might as well take it in for the tune up since its the off season

·
Registered
28 Posts
... So the smell/smoke comes out of either muffler after the engine has run, it's always the higher one? Maybe it comes out of whichever one is higher because the hot gases are rising to the higher escape route like a chimney.
The way to see if that's what's going on is to run it till hot, get the smoke to happen then lean it one way then the other and see if the smoke follows the high side..
It's probably a mix of water, oil, kream, fuel injector cleaner and carbon soaked into the fiberglass that is the culprit.

On my bike I smell burning rubber from my shoes too.

Be careful running it indoors if the doors are all shut, I nearly killed myself messing with my car with the garage door closed once- not a good feeling at all. Plus I'm not sure how long it's safe to let an air-cooled motor run in still air.

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
Crazy_fool1
the motor unless built with hi-comp pistons will never need the hi octane.
I have seen back to back dyno runs with 87 and 91 octane on stock motors and the 87 wins every time. The motors tend to get carbon-ed up using the hi octane fuels also , the fuel just does not burn as quickly and leaves residue.

I would after you get it all squared away run some carbon cleaner through the motor (chevron techtron, omc carbon guard). then again it is a 750 you may be winding it up hard enough to blow the carbon out as is.

I would guess that the octane at your pumps is like we have in the states
RON + MON/2
try mid grade first , if no pinging go to 87. if it pings on 87 run carbon cleaner through and then retry 87.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
will do, although i couldnt tell you if it pings or not because i dont know what that would sound like... i tried testing that in the summer and i have no idea what im listening for so i kept it on prem.

and stee dont worry, ive know from a very young ago that running engines inside closed doors is not a good idea so i always have the garage door open halfway. my dad did the same thing as you with my grandpa except they were runnign an 84 suburban... says he's superhumanly sensitive to carbon monoxide now.

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
Take the bike out to a good long up-hill grade and roll the throttle on, discount any chain slap you may hear first. listen for a marbles in a tin can sound. it happens most when the motor is under a load so be in a higher gear. Don't have your revs abnormally low, start at a good 4000 and go to red line.
A pasenger gives you a second set of ears and adds load to motor ... maybe you don't tell them that last part.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
lol for sure... ok well that sounds good i actually have a fav passenger i will use for this in a few months but for now there is too much snow on the ground to leave my driveway :(
i envy the anyone in the states for this reason... at least until i was watching animal attacks today on tv and saw how many dangerous insects and snakes and spiders the southern states have all year round lol... ick scorpions... i the guess the cold is good for something all we have to deal with is bears, cougars, elk attacks and they are pretty easy to avoid.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts