Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what ever material the 999 flairing is made out of. Needs to be strong and preferably near invisible.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
For what you're trying to do, try 'Five minute epoxy'. It's pretty widely distributed, but if you have a TAP plastics near you, they will have a good selection for you to pick from. You can try the regular clear 5 minute epoxy, or you can try the plastic repair version that is milky white/ yellowish in color. Either one you use will have to be applied at the backside of the panel only, and make sure you protect the paint with tape until after the epoxy is applied.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, send me a PM and I may be able to walk you through the process. If you have zero experience doing this, then of course I would recommend you look up a local shop to see if they can do it for you for under $100 without creating more issues by trying to save money.

Good luck,

DT

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Glue will crack if the fairing flexes unless you can stick a 'patch' on the inside but the best way is 'plastic welding'.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Or better yet, just take it to DT, how far is Sacramento? When you get it back you won't know it was ever cracked.

Yeah, yeah, I'm just trying to get brownie points for your sister-in-law...:D;)

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Or better yet, just take it to DT, how far is Sacramento? When you get it back you won't know it was ever cracked.

Yeah, yeah, I'm just trying to get brownie points for your sister-in-law...:D;)
Werd. One of them is here right now, but not the single one. Still working on it..... You ARE coming to the West Coast meet up, right??? My invitation stands the same as it does for Laguna.:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
For what ever material the 999 flairing is made out of. Needs to be strong and preferably near invisible.
triple9;739097]I bought a fairing kit plastex plastic repair kit its a little bit of work but does a ggod job!Comes in colors or clear kit cost 13.95, web site is G.T.MOTORSPORTS.home.att.net

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glue will crack if the fairing flexes unless you can stick a 'patch' on the inside but the best way is 'plastic welding'.
+1, the ABS on my 996 is really easy to weld, I'm assuming that the 999 is also ABS.
The first question is, what caused this crack? Is it in the corner of a cut out or inside corner, where reinforcement is needed?
To do the job the best way would envolve a refinish after opening up the crack and welding in new plastic or filling with epoxy and fibers(like fiberglass mesh) for reinforcement. If you want to avoid the repaint you might try to solvent weld the crack, hardware store ABS "cement" thin enough to wick into the crack. Tape the show side, but you will still risk lifting the paint if you get careless.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anymore suggestions? thanks for all of them so far, i rather not bring it to the shop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dude that's about it for ABS, epoxy will give you the best strength for the glues, but you need to open the crack and refill it all the way through, ideally. Solvent or a thin CA(super glue) would be worth a try if the crack is tight and not going to be under much stress.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Werd. One of them is here right now, but not the single one. Still working on it..... You ARE coming to the West Coast meet up, right??? My invitation stands the same as it does for Laguna.:D
I will try, I have been to WSBK at Laguna but not MotoGP. I have to see how things are going once spring rolls in and take it from there. I'm really missing CA right now...it's 18 degrees out! :(

To the OP, if you really don't want to take it to a shop get one of the adhesives described above and apply it to the back. If you need more strength maybe add a few layers of fiberglass tape (drywall tape) to that. It's hard to say without knowing what it looks like but as with most of this kind of stuff, it's best to let a professional do it. DT is in the biz if you change your mind. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
One trick that I have found to work is heat. In the past I worked at a Flooring place for a couple years. We would take an Iron and heat up the two sides of vinyl and seam the materials together with a small diameter strip of plastic weld. I have done this to my bike on the side fairings and tail section and its a good fix.

A soldering gun works perfect. Heat up the area on the back side of the plastic and make sure not to go through the fairing or go too deep to cause the paint to turn colors. Work the melting plastic around the crack and let it cool down for 1/2 hour or so. You can also place some epoxy and fiberglass cloth down also if the crack is an area that will have stress or pressure on it will riding( mounting tabs/ bolt hole locations/etc).

If you would like some pictures of this I will be more than happy to send you some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts