Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a thread that said Ducati is offering $2k off their remaining 2012 models... is this true? What's a good price on an S touring model out the door. I've been calling a lot of dealers, and one of them said they could do $18500 out the door. Bike has less than 10 miles, but it isn't my 1st choice in color. White would be my second, which is what this bike is, but I just don't know if there is still money on the table... opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
18.5 OTD is a great deal honestly. White is a color that'll grow on you.

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
That is a screaming deal based on my most recent buy if it is actually OTD and includes tax and license.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
but I just don't know if there is still money on the table.
Dan

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. When this model came out in 2010 the price was $22,000. The Dealer threw in a set of XL pannier lids. That was it. Period.

2. If you never intend on seeing the Dealer again after you ride the bike off the lot you can keep on hammering down what's left on the table.

3. If you do want to bring your bike back there for service (of any and all kind: which it will need) try not to end up with a deal that will give the Dealer reason to remember you as the guy who got the bike the hard way.

4. There's a lot to be said for buying a sophisticated machine that has a life of it's own: from someone who doesn't mind hearing your voice on a Saturday morning after you tell him you need something done immediately because you are going on a ride you have been planning for a long time.

Leave some "on the table", Dan.

Dan

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
^ Dan, I agree with you. Great advice, not which everyone will be able to comprehend or understand.

It's not always about money. ;)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
like this forum already

Well, Thanks folks. All very great input! White is growing on me, but most importantly... life is about relationships and having a good relationship with the dealership is super great advice!!!!! Thanks!

It will be my second duc, but my first new duc, and it's just so hard to pull the trigger on this knowing so little about how well they retain their value. From everything I've seen used, it makes $18k look like a screeming deal, but I wonder if guys are getting close to what they're asking... A bike like this I don't want used!

I've ridden harleys forever, and bought a mostly used, but literally only lost money on a couple bikes! This is a huge mental commitment as I know this isn't an "investment" and though I can afford it, I'm so used to riding something for a while, getting tired of it - wanting something different, flipping it, and either breaking even or loosing just a little, and I know that won't be the case with this purchase. But from everything I read, this will not only be the best most comfortable bike I've ever owned, but if it's everything it seems to be, what in the world could I want to get rid of it for... all I can guess is the "newer improved" version... I think this one would be hard to beat!

Lastly, based on what I've been reading on the site, I should ask them to swap out the coolant if they haven't already. Anything about the rear brake or anything else I should ask them to do before picking it up?

Thanks again folks for your input and advice!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
DanF, that's probably the best advice I have heard in a while.

OP, don't go into this relationship thinking it's an investment. Honestly I don't think buying a bike is ever an investment unless you find someone selling one for way below what it's worth and you plan to flip it right away. However, you're getting A LOT of bike for the money spent on the MTS so you make the decision with confidence.

·
Registered
163 Posts
thats a hell of a better deal then I got but I'm still happy with my new white touring

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
thats a hell of a better deal then I got but I'm still happy with my new white touring
If it's with tax and tags, same here, and I just bought mine last week an thought I did OK getting $2200 off and my choice of colors. If the bike serves me and I am happy with it, I will have it for five years and a few extra bucks won't mean much to me, but good on you. I'd grab it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dan

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. When this model came out in 2010 the price was $22,000. The Dealer threw in a set of XL pannier lids. That was it. Period.

2. If you never intend on seeing the Dealer again after you ride the bike off the lot you can keep on hammering down what's left on the table.

3. If you do want to bring your bike back there for service (of any and all kind: which it will need) try not to end up with a deal that will give the Dealer reason to remember you as the guy who got the bike the hard way.

4. There's a lot to be said for buying a sophisticated machine that has a life of it's own: from someone who doesn't mind hearing your voice on a Saturday morning after you tell him you need something done immediately because you are going on a ride you have been planning for a long time.

Leave some "on the table", Dan.

Dan
Add me to the list who agree with Dan's comments. No problem in working to secure the best deal possible - if you don't plan to develop a relationship with the dealer after the purchase then go for the best price they will give you. If you want to have a relationship with the dealer get a good price for you, but let them make some profit as well. As others have noted, if you're the guy who contributes to them meeting their profitability requirements and maybe grab a bonus here or there, you'll more likely get that attention you're looking for on short notice when you need someone to jump through hoops to get something done fast.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I shopped around and found the best price and was prepared to fly out and ride home. I've done this on BMWs in the past. I took my best price to a local dealer and he beat the price by $100. I purchased a full Termi system, GPS, rear rack, touring windshield and radiator and oil cooler guards before I took delivery of the bike. He did ok on our deal. I have since purchased another Ducati and several KTMs from the same dealer and have gotten to know him and they work on My BMWs as well. I don't think he wants BMW service business and would probably deny doing so, but he and I have become great friends through the experience. I've hand delivered several friends that have also purchased bikes from him. You should purchase your bike from where you plan to have service, but make them work for your business. They will appreciate you more instead of thinking you were the sap that paid through the nose for a bike. Your bike is personal to you, but to the dealer it's just another piece of iron. Patronize your dealer when purchasing accessories and always make sure friends looking for a new bike visit them. Everyone wins in this scenario.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pulled the trigger!

Well, again I want to thank everyone for the input. It was wise and as hard as it was to buy a brand new bike for me, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it Tuesday. I would have posted sooner if I hadn't been on it every free minute I get. UNBELIEVABLE bike, absolutely unbeievable! It is so fun, so comfortable, and so much more bike than I'll ever need. It has put a huge smile on my face, and frankly blown my mind at how fun a bike can be!

It ended up being $18,500 out the door, tax, tag, everything! But the most amazing part is what happened the day after. I worked the deal, but due to a failed business venture in 08, I've had some credit issues to clean up, so I didn't make the "Tier 1" .99% financing. It ended up being 6.99%. I was ok with that, just dealing with the consequences of a tough time... yada yada. But get this, the dealer calls me back the next morning and says, "Danny, I got a hold of the financing company and explained your situation to them, and I got you the .99% financing!!!!!! Unbelievable! DanF your advice was wise, and I took it to heart, but I'm having trouble even wrapping my mind around their effort to do exactly what you're talking about... build a relationship and make me a customer for life, and I sure do appreciate that! The effort put forth by Touring Sport of Greenville, SC was over the top! They will have me for life, and I can't over emphasize how good the people are there!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Congratulations buddy! It's awesome that the dealer did that for you. Usually in sales you make more money for getting someone on higher APR. Not sure if its the same for bikes. Maybe not. In any case, you got a killer price OTD on it as well. Most of us paid $21-22K OTD at best (assuming you got the S model).

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
That's a screaming deal. I don't think you could possibly have done better. I paid more and thought I did well, so you're making me jealous. Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a screaming deal. I don't think you could possibly have done better. I paid more and thought I did well, so you're making me jealous. Congratulations.
Yep, I get that! In my own very wordy way, I was trying to say, "they called me back after the sale and gave me another $2,200 in interest, of which surely some of that was dealer kick back". Even if it wasn't money in their pocket, the time spent reaching out to me, redoing the paperwork, etc. they went way over the top, in my opinion! They've got me for life though!

Thanks again everybody! Lots of reading to do know, what a complicated manual/bike, but man I love the creature comforts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts