Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Automotive tire

It was light, balanced, simple, and made great amounts of power. So, why Ducati let it die?

Some street Duc singles would have been a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It would have cost just as much as a bike with twice it's displacement so the market would be limited. They would also have to decide which bikes not to build to make room for it in their producltion capacity.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
629 Posts
The Supermono is the solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

The equivalent now would be a 500cc twin based on half a V4 making 100hp....but sgain, what would be the point? And who would pay big $$$ for it? Realistically? No one.

·
Registered
900SL MkV / 2003 749s / 2006 999BP
61 Posts
back then everyone had a single of some description, yam with the SZR, bimota the bb1, and all of them really never took on. They weren't that cheap and on paper and in mags just lost out to multi cylinder machines in the same price range - the consensus always seemed to be great bikes but why would you.
I think had a one cylinder race series been around to support wsbk elike the supersport 600 was then things might have been different, but as it was they were niche boutique bikes with a limited audience. I could well be wrong as my mind is a bit hazy as to the scene back then.

·
Premium Member
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS | 2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2,733 Posts
There was a guy who put a 520 single in an 848 chassis years back

·
Registered
612 Posts
Terblanche wanted to supercharge a mono for the street and said something to the effect that it would make the ,then, current superbikes look like the overweight things that they were. Little Ducati singles are fun to ride but would be great with 4 times the power.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There’s a whole raft of 300-400 singles around all with stupid cored pipes that sound horrible.

with the number of KTM singles there must be some market.

although no one would understand why it was more than twice the price

·
Registered
2020 Multistrada 1260S
28 Posts
Exactly...

I gotta say tho, I felt the same way about the iPad. :rolleyes:
I admit, at the time I thought the question it answered really seemed to be "what if I took my iPhone, made it a little bit bigger, and deleted the ability to make phone calls?" Can't be right all the time I guess. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
The Ducati Supermono was created for the "Supermono Race Class" in the EU, hence the name. New Zealander Robert Holden raced one all over the EU and came 2nd at the IOM Supermono TT in 1994, and won in 1995 on it, he also won the Northwest 200 and had other success as well (I think), he later (in '95/'96 from memory, ) bought it and a 916 (955) to NZ and raced it in our national series against the Britten V1000 which the Britten won with Andrew Stroud on board. Must have been in NZ'95/'96 season as he (Holden) was killed at the IOM in 1996??? The Supermono is a thing of beauty and a technological marvel of it's time, using rare materials and cutting edge design, it was created/designed by Pierre Terblanche, Claudio Domenicali and Massimo Bordi.

Tire Helmet Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

Winning at the IOM Singles (Supermono) TT 1995.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Gorgeous bike, but doomed from the start....

Too expensive to make, by a company that was saddled with ridiculous debt and very limited resources to do what they were doing. No real success with the bike, especially compared to the 916 which they poured every cent into because they knew that bike was their only chance at financial salvation.......

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I've been daydreaming of a modern "SuperDue" in the spirit of the old SuperMono. Take the V4s, drop the rear cylinders and make a 600cc parallel twin to race in the Twins Cup and other classes the Aprilia 660 does., etc.

Reactions: SoCalDuc
1 - 20 of 30 Posts