Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first. I really like the community you all have here and am looking forward to rejoining the Ducati family. I had an ST2 a few years back but had to sell it before I left for an extended (3.5 years) overseas tour. I have been drooling over the Multistrada 1200 since she was first introduced and one is now within reach. I am returning home in a couple of weeks and this will be my one selfish purchase and the rest will be on the family.

I think the bike looks to be in great shape other than the damage mentioned in the description and pictures. Additionally it looks like I would need to pick up a new rear tire in the next couple thousand miles but that is not a real big problem.

Need you opinions and advice on:
-Price i should pay.
-Best way to repair/replace the scratched fairing.
-Tire recommendations.
-Where to best spot the dreaded tank swell. (I had the owner send me pics of the tank area and cant spot anything)
-Should I look into an extended warranty to CMA and where/how much for it.
-Anything you think I need to look out for when buying used.

Are the issues as bad as they sound on the forum or do the vast majority of folks have no problems?

Thanks and Semper Fi.

Bike details:

Price reduced on 4/18/2012

• 10K Miles
• Scary strong 1198 Testastrata engine
• Bazzaz controller installed by Motocorsa, tuned on dyno for perfect fueling through all RPM's
• QD Exhaust for MotoGP sound
• Pazzo levers
• Ducati Performance bar ends
• All belly metal and passenger pegs powder - coated black
• Top and side cases included
• Bike slid on wet grass on side of road, causing scratches to L side of headlight fairing (shown). Otherwise great condition. Comes with top and rear hard luggage.

+$250 for powdercoating,
+$2500 exhaust,
+$1000 for Bazzaz and dyno tune,
+$150 for Pazzo levers...

...still only asking $16,900! Or best offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Duc N Cover, here's 2 in the Bay Area. I think your seller is a little high due to the scrapes, but it does say best offer, find out how much that body piece costs and negotiate from there.

These 2 are on craigslist right now.
May 11 - 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - $16000 (cole valley / ashbury hts) pic

May 11 - 2010 Ducati Multistrada S1200Touring - $14900 (albany / el cerrito) pic

The fairing can be repainted.
I just put the first 1500 miles on some PR3's and like them.
I just paid 800.00 for a four year extended warranty.
Make sure nothing else needs replacing from the lowside.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Unfortunately modifications don't mean much when you're looking at used bikes. I'd be more interested in the bike's service records and history. If the owner really took care of the bike etc... plays a more important role in my book.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies fellas. I did confirm with the seller that all maintenance was done at Moto Corsa in Portland OR.

So would 15,500 be a reasonable price target given that a new fairing will be in the $300 neighborhood easily although at that price I might just go for a CF piece.

Wheels: Where did you purchase your warranty?

Thanks again.

what else do you all think?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Duc

I would pass on this one and shop around. You can find one without damage with similar mods for the same if not less money. As for the extended warranty, I think they are a must on these bikes. As of last month I dont think you can buy the Ever Red warranty anymore. There are tons of thread here about extended warranties. Good luck hunting.

·
Registered
750 Posts
D'nC, the previous posters pretty much have you covered. Replacing that fairing is $$$, so consider that unless you're cool w/ sanding and repainting. Is the plastic broken, or just scratched/gouged?

At 15k miles you're looking at a $1k service, so take that into consideration.

The rear tire is shot. $200. Check the front. If it's going, add another $200 (unless you plan to install/balance yourself.....front's easy, back is a PITA because you need a special socket to get the rear wheel off).

Have all the SB's/updates been done? It has Ohlins w/ DES, so be sure it has the latest suspension ECU update, and make sure it has the rear brake SB done (otherwise the brake is anywhere from mushy to useless).

Yes, CYA w/ an extended warranty. As long as it's still under the original 2 year warranty, you're good, but that's another $800'ish.

Check the bags!!!! If that bike went down on its left side, check that pannier and its mount. They will crack if you fart on them, so a drop WILL do damage (unless the guy was lucky and didn't have them mounted during his "oops", but that's typically not the case).

Yeah....$15k for a damaged bike that needs new rubber and is coming up on its $$$ 15k service is fair IMO.

Finally, THANKS for your service. :cool:

-SM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SM. I really appreciate your Sage counsel. Is there a source here on the forum that has all of the SBs listed. I did a quick search but didnt find anything like that. Do you know anywhere to get an extended warranty since the red plan is no more? Thanks again.

Anyone else have any advice or...

BTW I am proud of my service and that of all those who chose to serve with me and before me. No thanks is necessary though.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
The powder coating looks like it was to repair the damage from the fall, therefore I would not attribute any value. You would have to inspect this bike in person looking for other barly noticeable cracks or misalignments that would take a skilled eye. Often you have to come back to it a few times to see these things as often you are so happy to see a new bike you miss them.

Pass on this bike! Find another one with no damage or wait for one to come up. Spring is the best time to sell and the worst time to buy!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Duc n Cover, unless I'm overlooking it, what model year is the bike in question? It matters in terms of the bike's comparative value and specific to its remaining warranty.

And yes, thanks for your service,

·
Registered
545 Posts
As others have said, the mods are basically worth little to nothing in resale. I think that bike is significantly overpriced and I wouldn't touch it for more than $13k, and that assumes that it checks out perfectly other than what was disclosed. Personally, I never buy the 'tipped over in the wet grass' or 'tipped over at 5mph in the driveway' stories. There's usually more to the story than people let on.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics - that's not from a slow tip over in wet grass.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks SM. I really appreciate your Sage counsel. Is there a source here on the forum that has all of the SBs listed. I did a quick search but didnt find anything like that. Do you know anywhere to get an extended warranty since the red plan is no more? Thanks again.
The best I can tell you is there is a thread (or two) on here that talks about warranties and in one of them someone listed the various providers. The one that seemed to stand out in my foggy memory was serviced by Western somethingorother and could be purchased from many Ducati shops, but the shop that had a deal on them was in Arizona. Sorry, but that's the best I can do before the coffee kicks in. :D

Re. the Service Bulletin, as Oalvarez asked, what year bike is this? Assuming it's still under the original factory warranty, the rear brake SB is done under warranty at no cost to you. If the bike is an early 2010 (they came out in May of that year), it may be close to expiring, and I don't know if SB's are covered by an extended warranty. Definitely worth checking with the seller on both counts (what date was the bike purchased and was the rear brake SB already done). Most Duc shops know about the brake SB. You could probably call one and have them FAX it to you. I haven't seen anyone on here post it.

Finally.....as others have suggested, unless you can lay eyes (and hands) on the bike before the purchase, walk away. With the bike having been down, and the owner not returning it to "like new" condition before the sale (they replaced the left hand guard, which will break if sneezed on, and it looks like the left mirror too....it's much cleaner than the mounting point indicating it's newer), there may be other damage that's lurking. Also, I have no clue how you could drop it and scratch the fairing like that and not bung up the left side panel, so maybe that's been replaced (I think it's around $600 :eek:....I'd have to look at my service sheet when they replaced mine for a stuck bolt, so the side panel had to be cut off :mad: ). They should have put in an insurance claim on it and had it repaired properly, but maybe the damage was $$$ and they were afraid of a rate increase, who knows. Anyway, if you can't give it a good looking over and a test ride, find another one. On the other hand, if you're OK with the cosmetic damage and don't find any broken bits at the fairing or around the pannier, then you might be able to get a good bike for a good price. It all depends on how much risk you want to take on.

Good luck!

-SM

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I agree with SM, a smaller fairing piece such as the top fuel tank panel costs more than $300, damhik :), the side panels should be a bit more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The tank cover (piece that has the Ducati logo on it) is $570. I would venture to guess the headlight fairing is more, but that's a guess.

Powdercoating the belly and passenger pegs was $250?

Bike looks grungy and unkempt. Like it has a patina of grime on it that has built over time. This indicates to me that the guy didn't take care of it. Though it's possible he just got back from a long tour or something along those lines, the fact that he left it like that for the pictures indicates that's how he keeps it.

I would keep looking, as that one seems like it's had a hard life. Take your time, search around, and I would bet you'll find one that has been well kept and has fewer miles for the same price or less.

P.S., I agree with the others that the aftermaket adds are worth little or nothing at resale, so the price shouldn't be changing much as a result.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will get a chance to look at the bike soon but you guys have me thinking that I ought to pass unless I can get the owner to go down to about $14K so I can afford a warranty and some new bits to replace the damaged ones.

I am hoping to find one near Portland, OR so if you guys have a lone on a great one let me know. Thanks to all for keeping me straight.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah man, its a good idea to hold off for a better deal unless he comes way down on the price. I know you're excited but being patient will save you a lot of money. In any case, do a search on allofcraigs.com and see what you find around the nation. If you find something within a day's ride it would be a good way to get to know your new bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, to address some of the concerns you guys raise....

I left the bike with my friend in Portland as I felt there was a better chance of it selling there vs. Alaska. Those photos he sent to the potential buyer (PB) show a layer of dust or pollen (is there pollen in Portland right now) that I've never seen. Standing next to the bike the scratches are nowhere near as obvious as the photos make them appear, but they are there.

On a L-hand turn Grants Pass to Crescent City I pulled off the road onto a patch of grass...wet, and embedded with gravel (so yes a ~5mph drop...can cause scratches like that) and with the front brakes applied the bike slid onto the L side. Cosmetic damage except for the L rear pannier, which was replaced. The PB knows this.

I also disclosed that the L side panel was replaced (Guy and I did all this in his garage...undoing and redoing screws...does not take a Ducati mechanic) as was the front fender...which apparently caught something and had a crack. It's not difficult for 500 pounds of bike sliding at 5mph to ding plastic.

Powder coating of bottom metal was done b/c it looks better than the silver. Was done a year before the drop in Oregon...had nothing to do with trying to 'hide damage.' Choices for powder coating in Soldotna, Alaska are nowhere near what they are down South...so yes, things cost more.

Motocorsa has performed all updates to bike, service tickets provided already to PB (yes, rear brake, rear suspension...everything).

Why would I file an insurance claim?? I feel insurance is a scam (I carry it in case a bike is totaled) b/c as soon as you file a claim your rates go up and they recoup their money anyway.

I'm puzzled by the comments that a seller should simply forget about the money they've put into a bike when selling. In a transaction I want to do what's fair. I paid over 2 thousand ( and waited months) for the QD exhaust...and the bike is better for it. That's not worth anything? The Bazzaz and dyno tune (dyno graph provided to PB) transformed a great bike into a phenomenally perfect bike. The bike is better for it...it should not be the same price as another 2010 that hasn't had that improvement.

I just purchased a Pike's Peak that had several thousand in mods...I wouldn't think it fair to try and discount those...ask the seller to eat that money...I paid for them. He spent the money on them...that's fair.

Happy to answer any other questions....

Mat

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas. I did confirm with the seller that all maintenance was done at Moto Corsa in Portland OR.

So would 15,500 be a reasonable price target given that a new fairing will be in the $300 neighborhood easily although at that price I might just go for a CF piece.

Wheels: Where did you purchase your warranty?

Thanks again.

what else do you all think?
I bought it through Hattar Motosports ( which was just sold to Ace Motosports) and it's Western Service Contract Corp. They offer 2,3,4, and 5 years extended warrantys.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, to address some of the concerns you guys raise....

Why would I file an insurance claim?? I feel insurance is a scam (I carry it in case a bike is totaled) b/c as soon as you file a claim your rates go up and they recoup their money anyway.

Mat
D'nC, my recommendation is to find another bike.

Sorry Mat, but the reason you should have filed a claim (assuming you even have insurance on it given your "scam" comment) is to have the bike fixed right. You're cutting corners on a $20k+ bike??? You've got the stable that shows you can easily have it set right (i.e. you aren't hurting for $$$ with a PP in the garage and a Panigale on the way). If it were mine, I'd pay my $500 deductible and get the $4k+ damage taken care of (new pannier, new fender, side panel, hand guard, mirror, FAIRING (over $1k alone), and doG knows if the pannier mounts are cracked, etc...probably > $4k), and my insurance would NOT go up (clean record and my insurance co isn't a prick about screwing me for a single incident).

Anyway, just my 2 cents, and that's what the OP asked for. I wouldn't advise him to do any different than I would do if it were my money.

Best of luck w/ the sale. It's a really nice bike and I'm sure you'll find a buyer quickly given the season. As you know it's a sellers market right now.

-SM

·
Registered
161 Posts
SM:

The bike is and has always been covered by insurance. It's unfortunate you make the comment that the reason I didn't file a claim is b/c I might not have insurance. It suggests I'm being dishonest. The bike is and always has been covered. Currently Gieco.

Years ago I filed one claim for a Toyota Tacoma with USAA. Rates go up.

I asked them more recently if that's always the case and she said, "Yes." I asked what insurance was for then, if they're just going to raise rates and recoup their costs? She said it was for if the bike was totaled...to cover that. She said every 6 months (I believe that was the timeline she mentioned) their underwriters review data, and if a claim has been filed they adjust the rates.

What insurance company do you use that doesn't do that? I'd like to call them....

It certainly didn't cost 4K to replace the rear pannier and replace the scratched items.

PB: Did your dad get by to check the bike out? Ride it? I'll be in Portland on Thursday if you're back by then...happy to meet up with you. I'm picking the PP up and riding it up to Bellingham...ferry to Haines, and back home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts