Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post/time on this forum. Looking forward to the wealth of knowledge/experience.

Question - What would you have done differently when you bought your bike? Would you have ridden it differently, broke it in some other way, installed a certain accessory sooner? Just looking for some first hand experience.

Context - Just bought a SF848, would like some advice.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey everyone, this is my first post/time on this forum. Looking forward to the wealth of knowledge/experience.

Question - What would you have done differently when you bought your bike? Would you have ridden it differently, broke it in some other way, installed a certain accessory sooner? Just looking for some first hand experience.

Context - Just bought a SF848, would like some advice.

Thanks again.
First bike wasn't a ducati and it should have been. Should have upgraded the stock exhaust sooner cause it really transforms the bike. That's about it. Enjoy your streetfighter!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Read the FAQs and go back through the threads. There's a lot of information there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm glad for my Termi slip-ons and also the Arrow Mirrors on my 848SF.
Waste of time to have an iPhone holder for nav so I would not do that again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad for my Termi slip-ons and also the Arrow Mirrors on my 848SF.
Waste of time to have an iPhone holder for nav so I would not do that again.
Does the iPhone holder just rattle to much or just gets in the way? What's the advantage to the mirrors? Appearance or better usability.

·
Registered
141 Posts
iPhone holder is solid but I find it works best in my pocket as I listen to music and if I need Nav with it, I can pull over. Trying to use it for Nav as originally intended would require changing the screen saver to not turn off so soon so the battery life would be reduced too much in my case as I usually ride for 3/4 of a day and already burn up significantly.

Mirrors - no vibration like stock but smaller so hard to identify law enforcement. And I think they look significantly better (subjective of course).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would have used protection :(

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Think real hard about replacing perfectly good parts for bling...
Research and do what you think will be right for how you want to use the bike...

Ride safe and enjoy take your time and enjoy it for what it is...

If you have spare cash do what you like to make it how you want it to be...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wish i didnt spend the money on the termi slip ons and dp ecu. The ecu did nothing for the fueling issue like i had hoped. Ended up buying a microtec anyways. Should have bought the quad d undertail exhaust and the microtec from the get go.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
After going hogwild and throwing thousands of $$$ at my 996 back in 99. I do very little in mods, and usually pretty minor ones, like oil drain pllug and such.

I generally wait til something breaks or is worn out before replacing with aftermarket. On my streetfighter didn't put crg levers on til I broke one fo the factory levers. put a shorai battery in when the original battery went south. I DID finally put arrow bar end mirrors on after really liking the look with the mirrors off for a track day.

One big word of advice, KEEP all your original parts. when you get ready to sell the bike you'll be best served by returning the bike to stock and selling off the custom stuff on ebay, trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
223 Posts
DO A TRACKDAY.... Of any mods do this first!!! You'll love the bike and learn a lot on the breaks, throttle and how it flicks with such ease!!!!

That and sliders...

Sent from Space..

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm just coming off of a Hyper that I'd done many mods to, including performance mods. Full system, ECU reflash, clutch bling and upgrades, and a GPR steering stabilizer. The last mod I did was to take the bike to Traxxion Dynamics and have them rework the suspension.

Once the bone grafts have healed and I can ride again, I'll be buying an SF848. The trip to Traxxion Dynamics will be my first instead of my last this time. It is the single most important performance mod; not only did it do away with the need for a steering damper, it made the bike easy to ride quickly and made it enjoyable on a whole different level.

Second, I'll decide whether or not to get an exhaust. The stock pipes sound pretty good but we'll see. Either way, I'll head to the Ducshop and have Mark setup a Microtek for me.

Other than that I'll probably not mod it up this time, other than to help with ergos and comfort as I decide is necessary.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
love and agree with the admonition of going to a trackday!

But i hope you mean 'brakes', and not 'breaks'!? ;-)
hahahahaah +1098

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DO A TRACKDAY.... Of any mods do this first!!! You'll love the bike and learn a lot on the breaks, throttle and how it flicks with such ease!!!!

That and sliders...

Sent from Space..
Track day is already in the works. Just need to purchase a pair of leather pants. That really is the only place you can REALLY see what these bikes have. Also learn a ton in the process.
Thanks for all the great responses so far. The bike is incredible, only "Mod" I'm doing is taking off all the stickers. Hate stickers with a passion.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Track day is already in the works. Just need to purchase a pair of leather pants. That really is the only place you can REALLY see what these bikes have. Also learn a ton in the process.
Thanks for all the great responses so far. The bike is incredible, only "Mod" I'm doing is taking off all the stickers. Hate stickers with a passion.
Dental floss and goo gone work like a charm to take those hideous reflectors..

Sent from Space..

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The first major mod on any bike I've ever owned has been exhaust. You will be surprised at how it transforms your perception how fast your going.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dental floss and goo gone work like a charm to take those hideous reflectors..

Sent from Space..
Never heard of the dental floss trick. Regardless Dental floss and a hair dryer worked like a charm! Also not really a fan of goo gone, a damp microfiber towel did the trick without chemicals :)

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts