Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating whether or not I should continue to keep my 748S or trade it in for a 1098. Now most people would probably say that I should go ahead with the trade but I'm a little hesitant to do so as I put a ton of money into the 748. This begs to ask the question then, should I part it out? On the 748, I have just about everything carbon fibered, with the exception of the fairings, Dymag 5 spoke carbon fiber magnesium wheels, Ohlins suspension, and a host of other mods. So, what would you do?

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Part it out and put the bike back to stock...and give me those wheels for the advice I just gave. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would post up pictures first :think:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics will be coming soon. Taking updated pictures of the bike tonight and will be posting them later.;)

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
If you have all the stock parts in boxes, remove as much as you can and replace with stock, then sell all the parts.

If not, just post up, and perhaps you'll get a strong offer for a 748. I sold my CF/Ohlins Hayabusa for about $3k above market, but it had LOTS of parts on it, and I simply didn't want to deal with it.

Put it in classifieds, see if you can get a strong offer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
more pics

Here are additional pics of the bike and parts. Mospeada, I agree with you. I'm not sure how much time I want to spend tearing this thing apart just to sell it piece by piece. I would much rather sell it for a reasonable price or just trade it in and hopefully not get bent over by the dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very very nice bike there.

I would try your luck at both

look at what the big ticket items would get you then decide from there, but chances are you will find someone willing to pay the extra for what you have into it

a friend of mine just sold his 03 R1LE for 7k. it has 6k on the odo and everyone tried to lowball him to death telling him what they said it was worth and all that garbage but no one had actually gone to see the bike.

well needless to say the first guy who showed up to look at it bought it for what he was asking.

it was in MINT shape. i have never seen a bike that old in that good of shape.

but anyways i would test the waters before you dive in as it will be time consuming and for what you spend in time might not be worth the extra money when it conflicts with other things.

Id try and put it out there for what you think its worth and see what happens its turning out to be a good year to be riding and with more and more people getting into it you never know what its worth to someone else.

I wouldnt have typed so much but that really is a nice bike you have and i wish you luck on the sale.

FWIW i would not even consider trading it in. unless you know the shop so well that they would pay the 3-5k worth of extras i would say is there (depreciation and all i know theres way way more invested just from the pictures) you would kick yourself in the ass if you found out later that someone would have paid top dollar for a bike that is already that unique

BTW i hate yellow bikes but if it were an option that bike would find its way to my garage

Keith

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Beautiful bike.

What about the 1098 appeals to you that your 748S does not have? If it is just the power, keep the 748. The 748 has plenty for the street.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrGixxerChic:
Thanks for the input and the compliment. Recently, I took the bike into a shop to "test" the waters on a potential trade in and the dealership said that they wouldn't offer anything more than 7K. For the amount of work that went into the bike, I thought this was a pretty low number all things considered. In addition, the bike does have the 853 kit so power is not really what I'm looking for in terms of reason for trading it in.

Elk:
I guess the main reason I want to trade or potentially sell the bike is more for esthetical reasons. I like the updated look of the 848/1098 and even considered changing out a few of the body pieces (mainly the tail section) to update the look but when I began to evaluate the cost of transformation, it seemed as though it would not be worth it. Other ideas I had were to powder coat the frame black, replace the lower side fairing section to carbon fiber with belly pan, swap out the wheels to the newer 10 spoke (y spoke) Marchesini wheels, and completely swap out the tail section/ subframe/ and gas tanks to make for a better fit. I've read however that the exhaust may also need to be replaced as well to accommodate for a different subframe angle.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Got it.

Aesthetic and emotional reasons are the hardest to satisfy.

Part of the fun can be building the toy just the way you want it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True in some respects and when all is said and done, I suppose I'll have a "one off" of the 748 however, I'm not to sure the purist will be thrilled with my retro 748! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Test the waters" - list it for what you think it is worth and see what happens. Your bike is sweet and the bigger bore seems to be a mod many people will want to do anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
sounds like you are in need of a change, Just a bit bored with it and would like a change?Not a bad thing at all. Just very expensive to satisfy that itch..Don't worry about what anybody else thinks .Put a price on it what it is worth to you and go fishing ..If you are happy with the deal and the buyer is happy thats all there is to it. It is what the market will bear at that time. You can sell anything if you put a low enough price on it...DON.T GIVE IT AWAY....Oh yeah nice bike!!

·
9,757 Posts
I've been contemplating whether or not I should continue to keep my 748S or trade it in for a 1098. Now most people would probably say that I should go ahead with the trade but I'm a little hesitant to do so as I put a ton of money into the 748. This begs to ask the question then, should I part it out? On the 748, I have just about everything carbon fibered, with the exception of the fairings, Dymag 5 spoke carbon fiber magnesium wheels, Ohlins suspension, and a host of other mods. So, what would you do?

LOL let me tell you as an owner of both a 748s and a 1098s: Part the 748 out and let it go.

I also have a totally carbon/blinged out 748s and I was thinking of just keeping both bikes but really the 1098 is so much more of a bike that I never ride the 748 anymore. Gonna sell it and part out the mods.

Let me warn you though, you will get the mod bug with the new bike as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MATT_P,

I've already started looking at mods for the 1098! With that being said, I've decided to start parting out the 748. If anyone is interested in parts, I'll be putting it in the classifieds. Hate to see it go but as Scott2 pointed out, the 748 has reached it's peak (at least to me) in mods and usefulness and now I'm ready for something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts