Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the situation.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a brand new 08 S model for a very good price. Works great and I'm having a blast with it.
One problem, the day I got it I immediately noticed 2 small scratches (1/4 inch + 3/4 inch) on the handlebars near the center. I pointed it out to the dealer and he said when I brought it in for first service they would "do something about it".
Brought it in and got it back and all they did was use a magic marker to cover up the scratches.
Now if you don't look for the spots you won't find them BUT I know they're there and after spending all that money for a brand new bike I was expecting it to be in pristine condition ... everywhere.

So, what would you do ?

Get over it ASAP ? (who gives a *&?% about two spots no one will ever notice)
Tell the dealer this "cover up" isn't good enough and get new handlebars ?
Any other solutions ?
Would the warranty cover this ?

I'm leaning in the direction of letting this slide but I'm curious what other owners would do.

Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
The stock swiss cheese handlebars are a liability anyhow, ditch them asap for an aftermarket set. Try and get the dealer to give you one at cost or discounted.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The stock swiss cheese handlebars are a liability anyhow, ditch them asap for an aftermarket set. Try and get the dealer to give you one at cost or discounted.
chris ... you have WAY too much spare time on your hands ...

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |___
|--DUCATI Racing------| ||'|";,__.
|_..._...___________| ||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)******(@)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
you'll get use to stone chips a plenty on this bike in no time
heck i have quite a substantial stone chip in the paint of my helmet

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
no big deal... The dealer did something about it as promised... Be specific with your questions....Ask like this "Now exactly what are you going to do". With my new vehicles I contemplate as soon as I get it home go put a mark on it somehow and get it over with...On Black paint I'll use black shoe polish.. Mention it to the dealer if it will make you feel any better saying "I'm pretty dissapointed with the way in which you tried to fix the scratches, is that the best you can do?" If you got it at what you think is a really good price, let it slide . Don't let it get in the way of having a ball on your KICK ASS HYPER!!! P.S. Don.t loose your concentration looking at the scratches and get into a crash...ENJOY!!!

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
Dood, Cyrano; I'm just like you. I'll get scratches on my truck, bike, helmet, whatevers...I'll be pissed off for two days then I just forget about it.

Even if I see them again, I just shrug 'em off. It stings at first, I hear you.

Time will heal. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys ;)

I was just curious if I was totally on the wrong track and everyone was going to say something like :
"WTF is wrong with you ? Hell yes get it changed ! "

That didn't happen so it looks like I was headed in the right direction and I'm going to follow the board's wisdom :eek:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ahh, no big deal. But, as said above, you should have asked what they would do about it. If you don't expect, you'll never be let down....;)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
For a few bucks at an automotive parts store you can get a lot of different colors of touch up paint. I bet you could match it pretty close and not think much about it again.

Out!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i had two big scratches on my frame the day i brought it home...then two days later had four before i could even take it back to the dealer cause i was having so much fun!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Certainly, one benefit of having a pre-scratched bike is that you don't have to worry about putting the first scratch in yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts