Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a “what would you do” question since the information and opinions I have received here over the last year have been of huge assistance.

I picked up a 99 ST4 last year with around 5k miles on it and I have put about 3k miles on it in that time. I have switched the wheels for a set off an ST4S and put on new Pirelli Angles. I also did the DD headlight upgrade which is awesome. I picked up a later model seat and a fairly rare rear seat cowl too.

I am just itching for a big more aggressive bike but at 48 years old I don’t really want to flip into a 996/8 or a new 848/1098 or anything along those lines. On the other hand I am intrigued by the Sport Classic lineup the like fairing sport 1000 or the Paul Smart. I am a bit concerned they might be actually lacking in power too, but I have to say I love the style. I have also considered an Aprillia Tuono of various years. They’re really nice bikes with what appears to be a fairly hot setup and a fairly reasonable riding position. I really love the 2000 to 2004 Guzzi V11 Lemans too.

The natural thought is to pick up an ST4S and make some upgrades to that. Finally I could step up and just make the ST4 stronger, meaning, pick up the Ohlin’s rear shock which it cries out for and even go as far as stepping up the motor a bit. I live only a 30 minute ride from Ferracci and they could easily step up the motor without a huge investment.

Basically if I kept my bike I am looking at new sprockets and chain, exhaust and power commander plus some dyno time to tune it well. Fan upgrade appears to be a must do also. The rear shock and in fairly short order a clutch and associated parts. I know they make high comp top end parts but the payoff on those sounds like it may not be worth it.

I use it to commute a couple days a week, its about a 15 mile ride of which only 2.5 miles is freeway. The rest of my riding is Sunday mornings in the back woods or just getting out some nights for 50 or so miles of riding at a good clip. I have a small trip slated for later this summer too. In general it gets all kinds of use whenever I can.

Any thoughts? Thanks

·
7,733 Posts
...Finally I could step up and just make the ST4 stronger, meaning, pick up the Ohlin’s rear shock which it cries out for and even go as far as stepping up the motor a bit. I live only a 30 minute ride from Ferracci and they could easily step up the motor without a huge investment...
:)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I am intrigued by the Sport Classic lineup the like fairing sport 1000 or the Paul Smart. I am a bit concerned they might be actually lacking in power too, but I have to say I love the style.
You are correct that the 916 motor has more oomph than that of the Due. A stock 4s has more power than what you can get out of a streetable DS1000, in most cases.

You buy those bikes because they look the part of a café bike, and have the same power and crappy suspension that make it feel 40 years old, too. :D

I don't regret getting the SC, the opposite actually, but they are different and are ridden differently, for different purposes.

·
Mr Leakered
8,834 Posts
LT did have it up for sale for a while. Not sure why he changed his mind.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know... and part of me just says close my eyes and make him an offer even if its not still up there. I have ordered from him several times on various parts and I have read his entire website top to bottom. Pretty straight forward guy and I clearly dont want to waste his time if he's not a seller. My guess is if I were to make an offer its a one time shot and it would have to be pretty steep no back and forth kind of thing, just based on the way he presents how he does business. I could live without the comfort fairing but thats minor.

I respect his time and what he's done for the Ducati Community, I own the latest Desmo Times Manual which is a great help on some of the maintenance I have done myself.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I love my St3, and it makes great useable power, but the speed junkie in me wants another 15 to 20 hp, especially the 2 up riding.

My St3 made 99.4 hp to the wheel, and over 60 ft/lbs from 5000-8500 rpm, with a peak of 66.8 to the wheel.

But im seeing ST4S's at 115 to 120 tuned and set up. That would be perfect.

·
Mr Leakered
8,834 Posts
I know... and part of me just says close my eyes and make him an offer even if its not still up there. I have ordered from him several times on various parts and I have read his entire website top to bottom. Pretty straight forward guy and I clearly dont want to waste his time if he's not a seller. My guess is if I were to make an offer its a one time shot and it would have to be pretty steep no back and forth kind of thing, just based on the way he presents how he does business. I could live without the comfort fairing but thats minor.

I respect his time and what he's done for the Ducati Community, I own the latest Desmo Times Manual which is a great help on some of the maintenance I have done myself.
Yeah. You'd have one chance to throw down. =)

I cannot remember what he was asking at the time.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Jaded Thoughts

IMHO.... Only because I've owned 2 each 748's and 1 each 996 superbikes and have ridden 2 different 916's, also spent a fortune at track days on my superbikes, and now owning my 2002 ST4S with a few tastefull modifications, this is my thoughts.

I'd think about finding a nice home for the ST4 (without some of your bling) and build up what you really want.

The suspension on the 4S is excellent stuff easily tuneable, the added torque/hp is VERY nice on the bigger motor, the electrical system (I think) is more reliable.

But as stated above I'm Jaded! the cylinder head on a 916 is very close in many ways to a 748, which is good, but the 996 is a different animal, and many engine builders of Ducati's find it easier to get HP out of a 996 (they flow excellent stock) Vs. the 748/916 head....

The added torque of the bigger motor helps when carrying a passenger (but so does the lower gearing I run)....

There are tuning tweaks that really help any motor, pipes/mapping/air cleaner/gearing.

I love my 116hp 2002 ST4S, but again, I'm Jaded!!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I've struggled with this for years. A little different situation, but it involves what to do with the ST and my personal wants in a bike. I love the ST4s, but I'm still a squid at heart and really want a Superbike (for the looks, for what it is and the rawness of it). I've treated the ST like it was a SBK for a long time, not much of a stretch really, the bike is up to the task. I don't commute any longer, which is why I got the ST in the first place. Last time the bags were on was sometime around 2006. I've thought hard about selling it and buying a 916/996 over the years, but every time I ride it I realize I could never sell it. I figure I'll have it long enough to post in the Vintage forum!

So.... What to do? I am just going to build a Superbike.

Already started. I am a set of wheels away from a rolling chassis (once the mail man brings the rest of the stuff I ordered last week). Slow project that I don’t intend to have on the road until late next season. I guess I could just buy one, there won't be much difference in final cost, but this is more fun and it will be put together all fresh and new. It is also easier on the budget, as I can just let it sit if needed and then do things a little at a time or when I find a deal on something I need. If I just bought one, I'd want to strip it anyway, as bikes in the 5K range for sale look to need that in general. Plus, I feel good about recycling! My own "green initiative". Superbike rescue!

You could go that route and just have both. Except you have to wait until mine is done, I don’t want the extra eBay competition!!!

The ST will go back to mostly stock, the SBK will cover the squid duties. Both bases covered. Keep the ST as the commuter, longer trips bike, and have the SBK as the weekend backroad bomber. I'm getting up there in the years too. I don't plan to spend more than and hour or two at a time on the 916!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts