Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at 50k miles it appears the oil galley plug is backing out. :mad:

~$2500 to rebuild @ the dealer. I've already pulled the donk out of the bike. They're saying ~20hrs plus parts.

I found a 1098s engine for that price with the rad an harness and stuff (no ecu).

Anyway, I know the 1098 won't really fit (wouldn't that be fun though!), but what WILL? Can I turn my st2 into a 4s with just the motor and a chip?

If I get a newer engine with the 3-phase alternator, can I just replace my R/R with the 3 phase and be good to go?

Thanks!
Doc

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
[Anyway, I know the 1098 won't really fit (wouldn't that be fun though!), but what WILL? Can I turn my st2 into a 4s with just the motor and a chip?

If I get a newer engine with the 3-phase alternator, can I just replace my R/R with the 3 phase and be good to go?

Thanks!
Doc[/QUOTE]

My guess would be yes you could turn your ST2 into a ST4S, after all, the frames, and suspension are all compatible, albeit that the ST4S has the better Ohlins rear shock and ally swing arm.
Everything else seems to be interchangeable.
BTW why won't the 1098 fit, what is over riding difference between the engines?

Craig

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually Craig, I don't KNOW for sure that a 1098 won't fit, I'm just guessing it won't.
Don't have one to measure against right now. The one I found for sale is about 150 miles away. Just figured with the SSS and all it would be considerably different.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The frame on my ST4S is different in the airbox area as compared to the ST2.

I'd venture a guess that you could get a 900SS engine to bolt in. Might have some issues with cooling... Or even a 1000SS DS engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts