Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know and appreciate getting the razberry for hauling a bike but Denver is a long 10 hour trip from Cody, WY. Anyway, I am hauling my enclosed trailer to Denver next week to purchase a 999s from a dealer. My question refers to "canyon runners" to secure the clip-ons to the front end tie downs. What does the group recommend or use to tie down the bike?

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
You mean Canyon Dancer, that goes across the handlebars and over your grips? They're ok though I have had them pull the grips loose and damage the switch gear. I prefer a similar product, Cycle Cynch tie-down, www.cyclecynch.com.

Be sure to tie-down both ends of the bike. Someday I'll get a Baxely or Condor chock.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
vduc said:
You mean Canyon Dancer, that goes across the handlebars and over your grips? They're ok though I have had them pull the grips loose and damage the switch gear...
Yup, the same has happened to me before (tore the grips).

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
sounds like you guys are pulling the straps too tight,the bike should move around a bit if its right

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use a cycle cinch as well and Ancra(non ratcheting)tie downs..works fine! Although the baxley would be nice I just dont have one yet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. Gives me something to think about. Like both products.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
kaos said:
sounds like you guys are pulling the straps too tight,the bike should move around a bit if its right
Could be but I normally leave slack in the suspension so it that it can move up and down some (never bottom out the suspension). I think it's more of the design on the canyon dancer that allows the material that wraps around the grips to pull in as you tighten down the tie down.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've heard a handful of people make similar comments about canyon dancers. But I just don't get it. I've hauled race and street bikes many thousands of miles using canyon dancers and NEVER had a problem. Nor have most of my racer friends. Not saying it can't happen. Just that the canyon dancer is a good product with which very few people have experienced problems. Never tried the newer, redesigned competitor's product because I've never felt the need, but IMO, you probably can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Although many people rave about the Canyon Dancer and Cycle Cynch, some people have had issues with them.

I prefer to simply use a soft-tie on each side of the lower triple clamp and attach them to tie downs.

As mentioned above, the Baxley sport chock is a great product, but it's expensive and heavy... I have transported bikes for years over many, many miles with the Baxley without incident.

·
Registered
132 Posts
tie downs

I've used both , the canyon dancers pulled the grips on the Monster and Multistrada, sheared the pins on both. Cycle Cinch, no problem, I use them on the Monster, Multi and 999 with a wheel dock and medium tension on the straps, front and rear. No problems since switching to Cycle Cinch.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Tie downs

Tie downs with quick release are a risk as in the event with my bike during an accident while driving home from a job out of state.
The tie down broke right at the release where it bit through the strap.
From now on I will only use multiple 2 inch wide heavy duty ratchet straps.
For trailering I really like the idea of the mounts that go through the axle holes. I heard about a guy who rolled his trailer and the bike was still in it
hanging from the floor upside down, no damage to the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts