Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new bike and I was worried about people stealing it or messing with it since I'll be parking it in an gated underground garage. It's not a private garage unfortunately and it is shared with the residents in my apartment complex. I was wondering what type of stuff do you guys use to protect your bikes?

·
Registered
157 Posts
fraz said:
We dont have guns in canada :)
Parodius - im in the same situation as you. Don't underestimate the power of bike cover... especially if it has paint/grease marks on the outside. Of course you should also consider disc lock, alarm, good insurance etc.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Parodius - I would love to tell you that there are all kinds of ways to protect your bike and keep it from thieves ... but that would be the wrong advise in light of the fact that the bike will be parked in a "semi-private" environment like an apartment complex underground garage.

Apartment complex garages, even if they are "gated" are the motorcycle thieves' shopping mall. Basically you are at high risk of getting your bike stolen, and no chain, cover, lock or alarm will meaningfully reduce that risk in a semi private garage. My advice? Move to your own place, have your own garage, and only THEN buy your Ducati. Otherwise, stay with a car, or if you really have to ride, some old bike that nobody would want to steal... until you can have your own garage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
+1 - Glock and/or Colt :D
+1 - State Farm Insurance
+1 - Cover. I used an old and beat looking silver cover that had "HONDA" on the sides of it. I locked the cover on the bottom so it would not blow off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I dont use anything more than USAA...
I believe that if a thief wants your bike they are going to get it. In an underground garage it is especially easy since you can just drive a van in there and toss the bike in and poof! Gone!

I am lucky enough to have a garage :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Do you or can you get a parking spot against a wall? Better yet in a corner? If you can and I know it will be a pain in the butt.. get yourself a cheap sh1tt3r of a car,, like 200 bucks, park the bike behind the car against the wall.. It won't solve everything but gets it out of the way. Good friend has a TL1000 and has lost 2 sets of Yoshi's in his 'Secure' parking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Adt

I have ADT and my lil pup, if the thief is unlucky I will be able to cut him in half with my .50 cal Desert Eagle...you can run....but you wont get far

Attachments

·
comrade moderator
26,982 Posts
Unfortunatly, the penalty for bike theft or tampering with a bike is not death, but YOU will go to jail for a long, long time for shooting someone for messing with your motorcycle. I realize it's just macho talk in fun, but seriously, don't even think about it.

Migz said: "Parodius - I would love to tell you that there are all kinds of ways to protect your bike and keep it from thieves ... but that would be the wrong advise in light of the fact that the bike will be parked in a "semi-private" environment like an apartment complex underground garage.

Apartment complex garages, even if they are "gated" are the motorcycle thieves' shopping mall. Basically you are at high risk of getting your bike stolen, and no chain, cover, lock or alarm will meaningfully reduce that risk in a semi private garage. My advice? Move to your own place, have your own garage, and only THEN buy your Ducati. Otherwise, stay with a car, or if you really have to ride, some old bike that nobody would want to steal... until you can have your own garage."

Bravo for telling it like it is. I feel sorry for those of you who live in apartments, but really, you can usually rent a house with a garage for close to what you are paying for that apartment. I realize that isn't always the case (San Francisco, NYC), but as a "professional renter", I can tell you with certainty that a little research will pay big. Of course, I can't be sure in your case because you DIDN'T FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
mbohn said:
Anybody tried Lojack?
I've had Lojack on the last 5 cars I've had (over the last 7 years) and will most likely put it on any daily rider. (Never had to use the lojack, but the insurance discount paid for the application of the lojack)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chuckracer said:
Unfortunatly, the penalty for bike theft or tampering with a bike is not death, but YOU will go to jail for a long, long time for shooting someone for messing with your motorcycle. I realize it's just macho talk in fun, but seriously, don't even think about it.

QUOTE]

In our state if someone breakes into your house (Bikes are in attached garage) an you feel like there is A risk to your life...guess what..Thief dies.
Sorry but I am serious. I have worked to hard and to long to have some scumbag steal from me and my family. I can honestly say I have had my house broken into by a crackhead in the middle of the night, the only thing that stood between me an my family was A 1911A colt .45. Did I use it..Yes, Did he die..No. It was a decision that was made in A spilt second but seemed like an eternity. I could not end that persons life with out knowing his intent. but I stoped him an I can say he will never invade someones home in the middle of the night again.
Was I charged...Yes, But I was allowed to drive to the judges office in my own car, he was presented with the facts that night, pulled the offenders record, looked at me an said "You should have killed him, It would have saved alot of paperwork" The charges against me were presented to the local prosicuter...and then dropped.
The entire situation was somthing I wouldnt wish on anyone, trust me...I was scared to death....would I do it again...In A heartbeat. but next time I will use my AR-15...30 rounds are better than one

·
comrade moderator
26,982 Posts
And what state would that be?;) (hint: Fill Out Your Profile!!)

Here, here...you have been through the most intense expirence and did the right thing. I commend you. But here's the difference: you were able to prove there was a risk to you or your family. Someone in your garage trying to steal your bike is a very different scenario then what you went through.
That's what I'm saying: All this talk about shooting someone for trying to steal a bike is a good way to get someone a long prison sentence that was trying to defend his property.

Now don't go and get all Fourth Amendment on me...I am a gun owner, have my CC, and have studied and trained extensively. The most important lessons I have learned is that there are many more instances where lethal force is the wrong option than there are cases to shoot. You had every right to shoot. Shooting a potential bike thief, while tempting, is not the right answer and I know you know that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Chuckracer said:
And what state would that be?;) (hint: Fill Out Your Profile!!)

Now don't go and get all Fourth Amendment on me....
Not to be a nitpicker, but what the hell, gotta set the troops straight. The Fourth Amendment is one of the the Bill of Rights, it guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. The Second Amendment pertains to the right to bear arms.

Anyway, I think most states have laws that allow one to shoot anyone breaking into one's home, while you are there. But, the limit is shoot to defend, not necessarily to kill. For example, once the scumbag is down, one cannot then take one more shot, for good measure.

If the asshat is in one's garage ripping off a bike, one is NOT entitled to shoot the person, even though the suspect is on your property. So if you do shoot the asshole in the garage, make sure to tell the police he threatened you, started to walk toward you and had his arm up ready to whack you with a wrench.

If you shoot him in the back, as he is running out on to the street, get ready to go to prison.

Lots of TV shows accurately act out how the laws work in most states. Often times they show the police coaching the victim to say that as I said above.

Of course, most civilian self defense cases are not all that easy to sort out. If the perp lives, he will say he was retreating and he was unjustifiably shot. The civilian shooter will say he felt threatened. Then it's up to the police to figure out and opine what happened. Generally, the bigger the piece of sheet the criminal is, the more likely things will come out in your favor. But, shoot a juvenile, oh man, stand by for the system to beat you up, with the SFB punk's mother leading the charge.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
540 Posts
WOW.

its amazing the difference in mentality between Europeans and Americans.

the west is still the "ol' west" huh?? yes i have been burgled, did i want to kill someone? no!
Unfortunatley american culture, not only gun and agression related, not only the good but the bad too, is spreading throughtout the world. An example of this is how ready people are to go see a lawyer and sue people in comparison to 10 years ago (i refer to the UK). Quite frankly it makes me sick to my stomach. Pretty soon it will difficult to find a decent place to live! that said i have met a lot of americans, and have yet to meet a bad apple! (perhaps the trip to europe mellowed them???)

anywy, a return to topic. A cover and a big chain through the frame. basically make it too time consuming/loud to steal. though at the end of the day, if they want it, they'll get it! In england they use freezer trucks to take bikes with alarms, the insulation seems to function as sound proofing too!

Chris

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
* worlds greatest thread hijacker *

My dad always said " just make sure you fire a warning shot... afterwards maybe but fire the warning shot."

In Oz they have taken away most of our guns and those still with them need them locked in a safe bolted to the floor etc... mind you, we still have a high percentage of gun related crime... and hand guns too even though they've been banned for many many years (unless club or competition use).

In the same vein.. If a burgular breaks in you disturb him and he tries to escape but trips on your kids skateboard and injures himself... How can he sue you AND win?? It happens here.. You'd always be better to complete the job IMO...

Hijack Off/

1 - 20 of 64 Posts