Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm new to the Ducati thing so bare with me alittle. Once I get the wife a new car it will be my turn for a new bike. I currently ride an '02 Suzuki GSXR 600. I'm thinking of getting a 749 for my new bike but I don't really know what the difference is between the different models (Speed, power, options, etc). I do like to go quicker then normal but I usually prefer a laid back ride where I can enjoy the view.

I've thought about going for a 996,998 or 999 but lets be real. I don't race on the track and I know my skill level isn't where it should be to keep my self out of trouble on the street. Stright line speed is one thing and everyone can do it but to much power with out the skill to use it right while in a corner can kill you.

Also, for those that have rode both a inline 4 and the 749's. How is the difference between them?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had an 02 ZX6R and an 05 ZX6R now I have a 749 both bike have their ups and downs the 749 is a little short on power but make up for it in the handling and torque department. I like both bikes but I like the feel of the 749 the best out of all of them.

The best way to find out the difference between all the models is to go to ducati.com and look at the spec sheets. But if you can afford it get the 749R I think its the best bike made by ducati.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
GIXXSTER said:
....I'm thinking of getting a 749 for my new bike but I don't really know what the difference is between the different models (Speed, power, options, etc). I do like to go quicker then normal but I usually prefer a laid back ride where I can enjoy the view.

Also, for those that have rode both a inline 4 and the 749's. How is the difference between them?
9This is my favorite topic, so warning long post :D )

Ok, given the info you provided above, you will love the 749.

I went from GSXR 600 (which I loved) to a Duc 749. It was my first V-Twin. The difference is night and day.

At first, I missed the gixxer very much. I wish I would have kept it, so I could have the best of both worlds.

The Duc had the same overall power which was delivered with (seemingly) no effort at all - very different from the gixxer, which you needed to rev over 9k before feeling the tourque. The low-end tourque of the Duc was sweet. The rides on the freeway were now calm, smooth and effortless - no more of the screaming that the gixxer 600 was doing all the time.

At first, I hated the idling sound of the Duc. I thought it was noisy and sounded stupid, in comparison to the gixxer with Yoshimura pipes. I had a Termignoni exhaust on the Duc, and it sounded absolutely sweet, except when the bike was on idle. I got used to it eventually.

The 749 is much narrower than any gixxers. This is an awesome feature, as it is comfortable, and you have much better control of the bike overall, it is easy to switch around. The overall handling of the 749 is far superior, even in stock form, to the gixxer.

On the track: I just can't compare the gixxer to the 749. On board the 749, I have a much higher sense of confidence, as if I'm on a magic carpet, in comparison to the gixxer. The suspension must be dialed-in to your weight, at least though.

Overall, although I miss my old gixxer very much still as it was a great bike, I am totally in love with the 749, for me it's the best bike ever. I own the 749 Dark and 749R - the Dark alone is awesome, but the 749R is out of this world completely - with the Termi pipes, I can keep up even with 750 gixxer, and it just basically kicks ass all over.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Welcome to the dark side...assuming you have considered all the maintenance/cost of owning one of these, I'll begin...First off don't get a 916/996/998. They are waaay uncomfortable even when compared to a 999/749. But if you insist, get the 998 for the testastretta motor. Now for the 749 stuff, the Ducati web site will actually give you a good breakdown of the differences but they go in order of cost/ options as follows...749Dark/749/S/R. The base and the D have the same motor/hp and the S has more, and the R even more so. Without looking I know the S has 116 from the factory (but capable of 112 rwhp). I've heard the base 749 is more streetable and better torque down low due to less radical cams than the S or the R but I've never ridden one myself. The S has a very descent Showa suspension over the base but nothing compared to the R's Ohlins stuff. S has adjustable rear sets also. IMO. get the mono for the adjustable seat/tank & better looks. These motors are smoothe as silk and you will fall in love with it. FWIW, I commute on my bike and ride it every chance I get. It's not jsut a weekend toy. IMO this bike does everything good and very stable/forgiving on the curves. I'd love a 999 myself and ended up not getting one strictly due to budget constraints but I seriously doubt you'll be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
One other thing about the maintenance... if you will ride 6k miles or over, it's gonna cost you :D ... Between maintenance, tires, insurance, registration ... the whole thing: operating cost will be at right around US$2k per year. So consider that before you buy, especially if you do "higher than average" miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info, thankx.

What is the top speed of the 749r? I've taken the gix up to 155 but normally I don't go over 120. How is the torque range vs the inlines. All I've rode is inline4's so I'm kind of trying to get an idea of what it would be like. More people won't let you just take the bike around the block to a test ride though.

I've looked the the ducati.com site and I'd rather take a riders word for real world info over stats and specs on a site.

I have hear that the Ducatis are great as long as you stay on top of the maintenance. What does that mean and what is an approx cost? I know its a hell of a lot more then the inlines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
migz123 said:
One other thing about the maintenance... if you will ride 6k miles or over, it's gonna cost you :D ... Between maintenance, tires, insurance, registration ... the whole thing: operating cost will be at right around US$2k per year. So consider that before you buy, especially if you do "higher than average" miles.
Insurance won't be a prob. I've got military insurance right now on the gix and its only $156 every 6 months for full coverage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ya, I've got about 11,000 miles on the gix and I bought it back in Dec of '02. Put about 1500 miles in it the first year and a half (Living in Washington) and the rest here in Cally.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
GIXXSTER said:
Oh ya, I've got about 11,000 miles on the gix and I bought it back in Dec of '02. Put about 1500 miles in it the first year and a half (Living in Washington) and the rest here in Cally.
One thing that I've found out is that the Duc, believe it or not, was significantly less to insure than any Japanese sportbike I had quoted. Kind of off set the cost of maintainance. I have over 20K on my 749 base. Still running great with very few problems. The 03 Jix 6er I rode at CMP a few months ago had much lighter steering but didn't invoke the confidence or was as forgiving if I ran a gear high into a corner. The Gix is a great bike and a lot of fun. That top end rush is a blast. I'll stick with my 749. In fact in the future I may buy up to a 999, but I'll be keeping it's little brother.

T

·
0 Posts
i have a 749s had a cbr 600 f4i before that....immediately ull feel the lack of power in the high rev range...but its a twin you get used to it and eventually youll never go back, however since you were on a gsx id say go with the 999...its a nice step up...u wont get tired...i love my 749s but im in the process of buying a used 999, so i can feel more power. i dunno i love bikes haha i want one for each day and mood of the week, but on the track i used my 749 everytime over the cbr and an r6 i bought just for the track

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you're looking for top speed, then the 749 isn't for you. i just got one (used to ride tl1000's and gsxr750) and i can say that the handling is amazing. it feels heavier than most bikes until it dives into a turn and holds the line(and wants to go tighter) versus drifting a bit and having to be held/forced into the turn like the tl1000 does. i had an ohlins on the tl also. the gix750 is a wonderful machine, but it doesn't really put the smile on my face that the 749 does...and that's what it's about for me at this point in my riding. 600's are fine for the track for me but, around town, i don't think they are very fun or unique. i have no desire to have a 1000cc bike either right now--about 750 twin or i4 is about perfect as far as what i'm in to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm sooo happy with my 999 that I certainly have no regrets getting it but...I do wish I hadn't been so hasty getting rid of some of the clutter in my garage. I still get an occational itch for a 180 mph blast.

Garage clutter....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GIXXSTER said:
Insurance won't be a prob. I've got military insurance right now on the gix and its only $156 every 6 months for full coverage.
Just checked online with my insurance company. Right now my GIX is $113.54 full coverage, 6 months ($156 when i got it). A 749R would be $156.14 full coverage, 6 months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thisnjducquacks said:
however since you were on a gsx id say go with the 999...its a nice step up.
Doesn't the 749s have more get-go in the lower end to mid range then the 600s? I pretty much know that I won't ever use the power of the 999 (Unless in the streights) nor the handling. Hell for that matter I would prob never take the 749 to the edge. I don't think I could justify the cost (Unless I found a hell of a deal).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nuggets said:
if you're looking for top speed, then the 749 isn't for you.
I was just wondering because I don't know. If I wanted to just go fast at the top I'd look at a GSX 1300.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found one site that said the 749r does 177mph (Give or take a few). Ya, I think that plunty for me. I mean, I havn't even toped out the 600 yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I don't quite understand this. the base 749 is $14000, the S is $15000 and the R is $21000. Yet the base 999 is $18000. Why is the 749r so damn much?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
If you're going used, get an '04 749R...if you're shopping for an R. Full carbon body work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for the '05 R, you're paying for the full Ohlins, radial brakes, better engine components, & hp. The '05's body work is plastic but thought I read it was a different compound making it pretty light but with all the sexy factor removed. Too bad. I would have loved an R.

·
Registered
125 Posts
GIXXSTER said:
I found one site that said the 749r does 177mph (Give or take a few). Ya, I think that plunty for me. I mean, I havn't even toped out the 600 yet.
177 mph on 121 hp (measured at the crank at sea level?) sounds pretty enthusiastic. 160 would tickle me if I owned a 749R. I don't profess to be a speed guru but I spent 12,000 miles on a Hayabusa often going horrendous speeds that make me cringe to think about. It takes about 160 hp and 100 ft/lbs to propell a very aerodynamic motorcycle 185 corrected mph in pretty ideal conditions. That's corrected mph and most sport bikes are packin' around an 8% error at 100 (150=138)... IMHO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts