Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi boys,

I have a pretty much stock 08 Biposto and my wife has said that I can spend 5k Australian on her, not my wife, the bike. I realise that I could spend 5 yimes that but my question to all you learned gentlement out there is what would you spend 5k on to pretty up the love of your life (again, bike not wife).

Looking forward to your replies.:)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
1. Fully adjustable Showa fork from Monster S4

2. DP ECU + lid + Staintunes(Buy Aussie!)

3. Good tyres from Michelin/Bridgestone or Pirelli

4. Nice mirrors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have not dissapointed me poolagent. Since joining this forum a few months ago I read your posts more that most. Thanks for the input.

Shane

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Forks and tyres first,
then exhaust,
then a WASP PUK.
....might even have enough left for a bottle of sherry for the misses.....

·
Registered
555 Posts
you don't need to replace the forks, particularly with a limited budget. You do need to set the sag correctly, there's too little preload in stock form. I ended up with 14mm spacers in the forks to improve the preload and am more than happy with the result. However, I also added Carrozzeria rims which helped.

Certainly if you're on a budget, try improving the preload on the forks first. The stock forks are not that bad if they're set up correctly.

That's an idea. With the Aussie dollar sitting around .84 US perhaps you should consider their Sport Classic kit. New forged alum rims with new 4 pot calipers on the front. That costs about $2,000 USD but then you can also sell your stock calipers and rims on eBay. I did that and the changover cost me about $1,500 AUD though I did this when the Aussie dollar sat at .95 USD.

If you do this you may also want to consider replacement front brakes lines. They're about another $200 AUD.

New rubber is a must, though you could probably defer this until next year, call it regular maintenance and therefore not have it count in your $5k budget... :)

I prefer the Termi's and do suggest you buy them via the USA. The exchange rate is great right now and they can be bought a lot cheaper than here in Oz. We get ripped off in this fine country.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
On a budget no question you need to include these:

1. Hyperpro springs (~$250US)
2. 14T sprocket (~$40US)
3. Termis & ECU (~$1400US)
4. YSS shock (~$900?US)
5. Michelin 2ct tires (~$300US)
6. EBC race pads for brakes
7. Blow the remaining ~$2000 on hookers and coke

If you have the dough, the light weight wheels and 4 pot brembos are awesome but I would probably get more fun out of the hookers and coke.

I'm all talk, though, I spent my dough on BST carbon wheels, full floating rotors and brembo calipers. (Just think of the chicks I could have gotten for $6000 US!!)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
WASP it out mate.

You have the tail chop... All you need now is the WaspTMSD (all of these bikes should have a damper).
Then if your feeling like your not getting as much love as you used to get (from the bike, not the wife) wack on set of Termis for sound and go, and if you're feeling kinky, a WaspPUK to spice things up a bit:cool:

Greg.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am serious about the $$$ for light wheels possibly not being the best bang for the buck (no hooker reference intended).

I love my light wheels but recognize that I was running the super-heavy steel wheels of the GT1000. Your wheels on the biposto are not that heavy. The GT1000 was not "flickable" with its heavyweight wheels but it was plenty ridable and loads of fun.

In terms of maximum $$ per smile factor, you MUST buy the 14T sprocket, because it is so cheap and gives such instant torque gratification. Pipes are the next best $$$ per smile mod--they sound cool and the fact is there is a lot of joy in the sound of the thundering termis with the baffles removed.

None of the other mods (and you can check out my bike in the mod-thread, I've done almost everything there is to do) rank nearly as high on the smile-factor for the pure joy of riding.

If you are a big fat guy like me, you might *need* to upgrade brakes and you might *need* to upgrade suspension, but those "needs" are not nearly as satisfying as the torque increase of sprockets and drone of loud pipes.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If you're looking for performance modifications I'd do carbon wheels, now shocks, setup forks, add damper and you'll be out of money - but will have an amazing handling bike!

If you're looking for some bling - I'd go crazy with SpeedyMoto and Rizoma bits, get an exhaust, etc...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go Horsepower Or Go Home

Hi boys,

I have a pretty much stock 08 Biposto and my wife has said that I can spend 5k Australian on her, not my wife, the bike. I realise that I could spend 5 yimes that but my question to all you learned gentlement out there is what would you spend 5k on to pretty up the love of your life (again, bike not wife).

Looking forward to your replies.:)
Wasp PUK
ECU PIPES
Steering Damper
Some fork work
Brake Pads you'll need em'
1 pair of fresh reg grundies you will need them as well.:eek:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd most definately go for either Termi's or Staintunes as a first stop. Some form of fork work is a given, and depending on your budget i'd go for either the Wasp PUK or TPO Velocity Stacks with K&N Filters...any spare change, i'd change over the tyres, chop the tail and maybe swap over the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Looks like a lot of aussies are suggesting the wasp kit, what is up with that? Exhaust is a good idea but after that I would do engine performance last. Trying to make it go faster was not very important to me at first. Work out the forks. Then get some bling. So I guess my short list would be:

Exhaust
Forks
Bling

·
Registered
737 Posts
I guess it depends on how often an offer of 5K comes up. For most of the Married/Family working class types, not that often. I'd personally be inclined to go the big ticket items first, not necessarily what's the most practical. I think most would opt bling as a last priority spare change kinda purchase.

My personal take on the intake mods such as the PUK and TPO kit isn't as much to go faster as it is to bask in that glorious noise. It doesn't make that much difference on it's own when it's all said and done. It's never gonna be a Hayabusa :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
First on your list should be attending the best riding school you can afford. After that, have your suspension tuned to your weight and riding style. Later on you can do wheels and brakes. Then start working on the engine. Stock, these things are so choked up that they don't get to let their wild side shine. Open it up so that it can breathe with intake, exhaust, ecu and PC-III and you won't believe it's the same bike. As long as you're that far into it, you might as well pull the engine out and add a big-bore kit, cams, lightweight flywheel, lighten/balanced crank..... Total bill, probably north of $20K, but what the hell, it's only money...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My personal take on the intake mods such as the PUK and TPO kit isn't as much to go faster as it is to bask in that glorious noise. It doesn't make that much difference on it's own when it's all said and done.:D
Perhaps the TPO fitted to your bike without the benefit of PC3 and twin cylider tune has'nt mad that big of a difference, but I (and many others) can assure you, wack on a WaspPUK kit (or for that matter a TPO + PC3 + twin cyl tune), and it's farrrrr more than for the benefit of just noise.

Maybe you picked the wrong kit?

Greg.

·
Registered
737 Posts
hehe, no...it's far more than just noise, trust me. :D

The choice of the TPO over the PUK was purely a financial one. It may not be 'as good' as the PUK, but im getting great results out of the TPO minus the PCIII. It accelerates smooth and rev limits fast with a very noticable increase in torque. No popping, spluttering or dead spots... Good enough for little ol' me ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts