Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is looking at a 2012 Multistrada 1200. Are there any common things to look at?

Expanding fuel tanks due to ethanol usage?

What is the valve / belt maintenance interval?

·
Registered
132 Posts
A friend is looking at a 2012 Multistrada 1200. Are there any common things to look at?

2012=Best year ever! Still love mine-Look for maintenance paperwork, leaky fork seals around 20,000, weak rear brakes and fuel sender issues. Full Termi exhaust with Tuneboy tune, cruise and quickshifter are a plus. Ohlins suspension with Mechatronics(SCU) system will still out handle the current bikes. I own a 2012 touring with the above add-ons, 2 friends own 2017 touring with Termi exhaust/tune kit and 2020 pike's peak-stock. Mine still handles the best, lighter weight and shorter wheelbase-if you like sportbike riding more. The 1200 makes more torque down low but the 1260 might edge out above 6000-7000rpms. 1260 engines are a lot smoother below 3000rpm even with a good tune. I can't tell much difference in fuel consumption between the bikes. The newer bikes feel and turn very slow compared to a well set-up 2010-2012 MTS. The newer bikes seem to have a lower seat height too.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a 2012 Pikes Peak with the Ohlins mechatronic module. Amazing machine. factory exhaust so its my stealth machine lol. I believe belts/valves are 12k miles or 5 years. No worries for me on tank expansion etc. Bike wheelies like crazy !!!

·
Registered
920 Posts

Valves and belts are every 5 years or 15k miles.

How many miles on the bike? I find a lot for sale right before the major Desmo service is due at 15k/30k miles.

Check for pink coolant. There was another recent thread with same questions I believe for the same year or maybe '13 but Pikes Peak. Try a quick search on that...

·
Registered
132 Posts

How many miles on the bike? I find a lot for sale right before the major Desmo service is due at 15k/30k miles.

Check for pink coolant. There was another recent thread with same questions I believe for the same year or maybe '13 but Pikes Peak. Try a quick search on that...

Pink coolant was replaced in most by 2012 as well as rear brake-TSB

#102983 - SVC-11-014 MULTISTRADA 1200 REAR BRAKE SYSTEM UPDATE

Date09/08/2011
AuthorJLaForte
Category SERVICE BULLETIN
Description
Date: Tuesday, August 9th, 2011
To: Ducati Dealership Service Department
MULTISTRADA 1200 REAR BRAKE SYSTEM UPDATE
Models: MULTISTRADA 1200 (all versions)
Service Bulletin SVC-11-014
Dear Dealer,
Ducati is pleased to inform you of an updated rear brake system for the Multistrada 1200 that has resulted from our continuing product development efforts. The new system addresses the issue of excessive travel of the rear brake pedal that has been reported from the field. We believe that this will lead to an enhanced level of owner satisfaction amongst our Multistrada customers.
Description of the technical problem:
Excessive travel of rear brake pedal.
Description of the technical problem solution:
Replacement of rear brake system components:
Rear brake system kit Part no. 69926271A for bikes WITHOUT ABS
The above kit consists of:
1. Rear brake master cylinder with oversized compensation hole and oil tank fitting inclined by 50°;
2. 310 mm long EPDM hose connecting the 50° inclined fitting on master cylinder to the oil tank;
3. Hose connecting the brake master cylinder to the brake caliper (version WITHOUT ABS).

Rear brake system Kit Part no. 69926281A for bikes WITH ABS
1. Rear brake master cylinder with oversized compensation hole and oil tank fitting inclined by 50°;
2. 310 mm long EPDM hose connecting the 50° inclined fitting on master cylinder to the oil tank;
3. Hose connecting the ABS control unit to the brake master cylinder;
4. Hose connecting the ABS control unit to the brake caliper
Please see bulletin for details.
Bike1MT * *
Authorized countries
CANADA , UNITED STATES , MEXICO

Mine already had both done as well as this-Ohlins had a service bulletin about "clunky" forks-they had 2 or 3 different thickness shims that could be added to solve a "clunky" front end.

·
Registered
2012 Multistrada Pikes Peak
19 Posts
Solid bike for sure! I just picked up a 2012 Pikes Peak a couple months ago with 4,900 miles. Any service records the previous owner has is always a nice thing to clue you in on what hasn't been touched. Since the bike I grabbed spent so much of it's previous life on a kickstand, the original owner hadn't done the timing belts at the 5 year mark. I did those pretty much straight out of the gate based on age, and I'm glad I did as the horizontal cylinder was super loose. The rear brake had the "fix" done, but it doesn't really work at all, so that may be kind of a wash. Check for the basics, no leaks from the fork seals as they can dry out due to age, change out some fluids if your friend grabs it (brakes, coolant, oil) if they haven't been touched. Also wouldn't hurt to check the age of the tires since the bike is 9 years old at this point. And of course it should go without saying, but make sure the bike is cold when he goes to check it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

10k on the bike, so hardly used, but well past the due date for a belt (or two!). Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Take it for a ride and listen for a low pitched moan from the lower end. Would indicate main bearings going south (ask me how I know). I wouldn't say it's a common problem, but a search here will probably turn up a dozen threads on the subject.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input, he's not in a hurry and might wait until next year to buy something.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do the 2010-2014's have an indicator on the dash/ecu when the most recent desmo / belt service was done, like the DVT's do? He's looking at a couple with low mileage but some age, and no service records ... curious if there could be a clue elsewhere (mainly thinking about the belt).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pink coolant was replaced in most by 2012 as well as rear brake-TSB

#102983 - SVC-11-014 MULTISTRADA 1200 REAR BRAKE SYSTEM UPDATE

Date09/08/2011
AuthorJLaForte
Category SERVICE BULLETIN
Description
Date: Tuesday, August 9th, 2011
To: Ducati Dealership Service Department
MULTISTRADA 1200 REAR BRAKE SYSTEM UPDATE
Models: MULTISTRADA 1200 (all versions)
Service Bulletin SVC-11-014
Dear Dealer,
Ducati is pleased to inform you of an updated rear brake system for the Multistrada 1200 that has resulted from our continuing product development efforts. The new system addresses the issue of excessive travel of the rear brake pedal that has been reported from the field. We believe that this will lead to an enhanced level of owner satisfaction amongst our Multistrada customers.
Description of the technical problem:
Excessive travel of rear brake pedal.
Description of the technical problem solution:
Replacement of rear brake system components:
Rear brake system kit Part no. 69926271A for bikes WITHOUT ABS
3. Hose connecting the brake master cylinder to the brake caliper (version WITHOUT ABS).

Rear brake system Kit Part no. 69926281A for bikes WITH ABS
3. Hose connecting the ABS control unit to the brake master cylinder;
4. Hose connecting the ABS control unit to the brake caliper
Please see bulletin for details.
Bike1MT * *
Authorized countries
CANADA , UNITED STATES , MEXICO

Mine already had both done as well as this-Ohlins had a service bulletin about "clunky" forks-they had 2 or 3 different thickness shims that could be added to solve a "clunky" front end.
How do the TSB's work in the motorcycle community? Is it something I can get the dealer to fix for free? Or are costs involved?

With the clunky front end is that when going over things like speed bumps? I do hear a clunk up front and thought it was my handlebar bolts that hold the risers in but the noise never left. I'd be keen to know more about this Online issue.

Are these fixable at dealers on a 13' 1200?

·
Registered
132 Posts
They would be recorded by the dealer if they were performed. You could call and ask your dealer to check but I'm not sure about warranty this far out since these were not all recalls.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They would be recorded by the dealer if they were performed. You could call and ask your dealer to check but I'm not sure about warranty this far out since these were not all recalls.
Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll see what they say!

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I bought my 2012 Multistrada 3 years ago the dealer was able to do a computer search and find all recalls and service performed on my bike, and it had originally been purchased out of state. It seems that as long as work was done by an authorized dealer there should be a record of it.

I have put almost 30,000 miles on mine so far. Key FOB, fuel sensor, heated hand grips and electronic fork cap were the problems I have had. Valve adjustment and belt replacement every 15,000 miles. Thank goodness for extended warranty and service plan - all that work was covered.

·
Registered
Ducati 1198
12 Posts
Take it for a ride and listen for a low pitched moan from the lower end. Would indicate main bearings going south (ask me how I know). I wouldn't say it's a common problem, but a search here will probably turn up a dozen threads on the subject.
Exactly... the main bearings could be a problem on this model. I don't know in the USA, but in Europe till 2012 was used a main-crankshaft-bearing with a plastic case. This is really weak and can wear out around 15000 miles. If i were you, i would clarify with a ducati dealer whether this bearing is still installed in this model or whether it is already completely made of steel.

Regards
Alberto

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mine were metal cased, but took a dump at a little over 5000 miles. Out of warranty due to age, not mileage. Disappointing, but still love the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts