Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a 2000 996 SPS with 1700 kms ( 1060 miles ) on the clock for sale right around the corner from me. I'm going to ring the guy tomorrow to go and look at it. The ad says it has new belts fitted, "$6,000 of titanium race pipes fitted" ( which from the picture I can see are Akrapovics although don't know it if's slip-ons or a full system ), unmarked paintwork, long rego. Owner says in the ad he is too lot to ride anymore!!

Anyway, I've never had a 916 / 996 / 998 before, only got my 900 SS that I'm kind of familiar with, and just pulled the new-to-me 851 SP3 to bits to rebuild it after purchase from a less than honest vendor ( never even started the engine before pulling the bike right down ). So are there any items in particular I should look for / ask about / pay attention to??

IS the 996 SPS also affected with the flaking rockers?? Is that really as and a thing as everybody makes out?? Are new replacement rockers that you can buy from the dealer today "flake-proof" i.e. have they fixed the problem with the new rockers they sell, such that a new set of rockers would end the problem??

I'll be selling my 2 Honda CBR1000RR's ( 1 road 1 track ) to make way for this beauty. I guess there wouldn't be too many 996 SPS's left with only 11oo miles on the clock?? Worth buying??

·
Registered
46 Posts
look for tell tale signs of actual mileage. for all you know the speedo was disconnected 12 years ago. you might also check with your local duc shops to see if the bike has a service history.

·
Registered
390 Posts
IS the 996 SPS also affected with the flaking rockers?? Is that really as and a thing as everybody makes out?? Are new replacement rockers that you can buy from the dealer today "flake-proof" i.e. have they fixed the problem with the new rockers they sell, such that a new set of rockers would end the problem??
Yep, the 2000 SPS is affected with the rocker issue. Not a big deal though, megacycle will re-work the originals or you can purchase aftermarket units from Electraeon.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
They are not immune to flaking rockers, but it's not a massive concern either. These bikes don't need to be revved to the moon--they have outstanding midrange.

On a conservative dyno (Ducati Indianapolis) on a hot day, it's making 120hp from about 7800 to 9200 and torque is more than 70 ft-lbs from 6500 to 9000 RPM.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Replacing flaking rockers can be quite expensive so my recommendation is to make the sale contingent on an acceptable pre-sale inspection of the rockers and have an agreement about sharing any replacement costs. If you fail to get any seller assurances, try negotiating a reduced price. Do not ignore this issue!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i'd be concerned about the miles being too low, if correct that bike has been sitting around for 12 years. i've heard of people running engines for a few minutes once a week which doesn't do them any good either. probably worth getting all the numbers, triple clamp, engine and frame and verifying it's a real one and the numbers all match.

how does it compare to these?

Used DUCATI 996 SPS (H1) Motorcycles For Sale - bikesales.com.au

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I would prefer one that has seen regular use as well, but sometimes you just have to make do with what's available. Dont know if the owner is expecting a premium for the low mileage, but there's no motivation for you to pay it if this is a bike you want to really use.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Replacing flaking rockers can be quite expensive so my recommendation is to make the sale contingent on an acceptable pre-sale inspection of the rockers and have an agreement about sharing any replacement costs. If you fail to get any seller assurances, try negotiating a reduced price. Do not ignore this issue!
What he said. It's not an issue to take lightly. Left alone for a long period it will destroy your camshafts, at the minimum. It will also throw off the valve clearances to a dangerous degree. It also has the possibility of throwing metal into oil passages and bearings which will cause a whole heap o' trouble.

Check them. Budget for replacements. I'd love to recommend billet rockers but they are stupid expensive, I'd sooner go for rechromed items in exchange for the old ones.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know off the top of their head how much rockers are each?? And would you buy new ones of get the existing ones rechromed??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would buy new rockers and get the old ones replated. Hang on to those for future replacement. There is no cheap/easy fix to the flaking rocker issue.

Honestly, next time I have closing rockers flaking I will just buy new base/head gaskets and do the replacement/valve adjustments with the heads off. Closing springs are no fun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Run don't walk and buy it and don't worry about rockers it's part of your maintenance. It's a Ducati.
Post some pics if you can.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
You guys are making way too big an issue of this. Keep an eye on the tolerances, periodically inspect the rockers, and deal with it when/if it comes up. It's something to be aware of, not lose sleep over.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well today I lead a ride for some of the local Ducati boys, we had my SS, a MK IV 900 SL, a 900 FE, a 1000ie Monster, a 999, and an 848 with pillion. 280km for the ride, + another 100 by myself to check out the SPS afterwards. Nice day.

Anyway, after the ride I went and looked at the SPS. What a box of pox!! The old boy ( he's 75 ) missed a 0 off the milage in the add, so it's 17,000, not 1700 - big difference there!! Anyway he's still been riding it so now it's up to 20,xxx kms. It's also a Japanese market one that has been imported to Australia. The exhaust system is an Akrapovic titanium full system, and of a decent diameter too - looked very nice. He doesn't know if it's got a power commander and air filter to go with the pipes, said the guy at the shop told him it was all honky dory!! But, the thing was filthy!!!! He said he bought it with 15,000km on the clock, so he's done 5000km, and it doesn't looked like he's washed it once in that time!!! He also doesn't have the original stock exhaust, or the books / manuals / red keys / cover / stand etc or anything, just the bike. He was trying to tell me some horse sh*t that the engine has special narrow cylinder heads, makes 165hp as delivered from the factory, and that the full Akra titanium was standard fitment that year as opposed to the Termis of previous years. OK then, some people believe anything you tell them.

I got the frame and engine numbers to check if it has the proper full house SPS engine in it, as I know the Jap 996S only has the base model engine in it. Where can I check the numbers??

But assuming the numbers even check out, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass. He wants top dollar for it, but it's not in top condition. There are 3 over on the east coast with half the milage on them for the same $$. Might take a flight over there in a couple of months time..........

·
Registered
21 Posts
You guys are making way too big an issue of this. Keep an eye on the tolerances, periodically inspect the rockers, and deal with it when/if it comes up. It's something to be aware of, not lose sleep over.
I agree with you there. Definitely something to be aware of. Now that I've had the issue, I prefer to be prepared for next time to avoid down time. Nonetheless some have the issue and some do not.

And to the OP

I'd walk away from that bike. No credentials equals no go in my book.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Run away and don't look back JAFA.
But do keep looking for an SPS. Your patience and diligence will be well rewarded with the right example.
Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know if Japanese market SPS's has the full house motor? or the strada / base model motor?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I got the frame and engine numbers to check if it has the proper full house SPS engine in it, as I know the Jap 996S only has the base model engine in it. Where can I check the numbers??
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/27112-ducati-vins-decoded.html

sounds like you might have to email ducati, sorry i thought there was a website people used but they only seem to cover US models.

Ducati frame number help - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

good luck in your quest

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I'd run from that one simply because of the turkey's bullshit stories about how his bike is some overpowered factory hot rod/ringer/racer-snuck-out-of-the-Corse-department-and-registered-for-the-road-but-never-offered-to-the-public.

I hate lying idiots like that, and I certainly would not buy anything from one of them.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Look for this rare accessory:

Requires frequent re-calibration, but worth the effort for a smooth ride.

pg
DD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts