Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Kinda off topic but I want to hear from Streetfighter owners what their thoughts are. Im in a position to get a good deal on a 1999 Ducati 996s - yes an S and a 2003 999 with S parts. Here are some stats:

1999 Ducati 996 s - #156 only 200 made. plaque on triple clamp
15k miles on the Desmoquattro
Red
engine is sound with service history
exhaust - not sure what brand.
Carbon airbox has seen better days and looks like it needs some cosmetic work.
Strangely - had a female owner. rear tire looks new on the edges. Bike needs some cleaning and minor cosmetic stuff to make ti perfect.

2003 Ducati 999
15k miles on the 998 Testastretta
Yellow Biposto with cover
Termi exhaust
Updated S ECU
Black Marchesini forged S wheels
some clutch accessories
Bike looks great but has a small crack on the tail fairing...no doubt some fat chick sat here. Tires also look "unused."
service history and

Needs updated boxed swingarm and its good to go imo.

Prices are close to each other around the $6K mark. I am keeping the Streetfighter of course so this will be a - I dont want to say collector becuase I want to ride the thing- but be a little less ridden and more worked on...?

Any thoughts on what to do here. Im struggeling. 996 could be more special but then the 999 has its curiosities.:confused:

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 996! Personally I have never really been a fan of the 999 look... I do like the yellow but common.... 996!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Plus with a female rider I would think it had less dumb stuff done to the bike... (ie: wheelies, burn outs etc), not guaranteed obviously just less likely...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
99x

Totally understand that not everybody likes the looks of the 999. But it is unique in that respect, the design is functional. It is also Yellow and has a slew of parts available.

I agree with the 996. That look is just iconic. It is downright beautiful. IN red with white number plates on the tail..monoposto. It is a special machine.

But from what I understand if you had to ride the two...the 996 will make you cry. Somewhat detracting but it was a superbike out of the box.

Power output is not going to make a difference since they are very close but the engines are different.

I am leaning toward broken wrists with the 996s but the 999 in Yellow is difficult to walk away from. Ill post a pic of each.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2003 999

1999 996s

·
Registered
372 Posts
996s, no question.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not a fan of a yellow 999, I'd take it in black or red.. but not yellow, so my vote goes to the 996s..

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
I could only understand the choice being hard if the 999 was an S or R. 996 for sure!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
999 has S parts on it - ecu and termi exhaust with S wheels. Only thing it dosnt have is rear shock and i think maybe a cam difference. either way it makes more power than the 996.

Looks wise...996 wins everytime. I dont mind the yellow on the 999, with some carbon bits on it, it will have a nice contrast look..its not seen on every corner.

Might have to start bulking up my wrists...:D

I think the 996 wins but its hard to walk away from the 999...its got so much potential. I really believe its going to come down to riding them both. this might get nasty..;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My vote is for the 996S. If the 999 was black or even red maybe it would be tempting to lean that way. I just don't like it in yellow.

But the exclusiveness of the 996S and color choices make it the winner in my book.

Of course you should just follow your heart. Can't lose with either.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok jus to complicate thing more. I made an offer on a 2004 999 in Red. only 3k miles

Termi exhaust
PCIII
carbon air foils
and some clutch stuff not significant.

So 2004 999 Red and 3k miles vs 1999 Red 996s 15k miles and ill need to spend some considerable coin to get her in the same condition as the 999. The only thing that worries me on the 996 is the carbon airbox and flaky rockers. Dealer does say the engine runs great though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive been thinking of a second bike also. Why get another twin. Have a look at the MV's. For the same money you could get one in decent condition. And it will cripple you to ride like the 996 or the 999 with the same expensive parts and Italian poorish reliability. Win win for me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
996s anyday over triple9. Nothing wrong with the 99, its just the 96 is too classic. It's the superbike design (916) that revolutionized the industry. In a 100 years, the 99 will be almost forgotten, but the 96 design will never grow dull.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well. deal is done. I am extremely happy with the price. I will give a bike a look over tomorrow and barring it blowing up, shell have a new home.

Stay tuned for pics. Hope she plays nice with the SF1098s.:think:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to 996s greatness.

Super stoked! streetfighter has a red head girlfriend and man is she a looker.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks

Thank you all for the help. I had a real hard time with this one. But I think you guys had good reasons behind this choice. Since I have never seen a 996 in real life I was tempted to go with the 999.

So glad I didnt. This is a work of art. Thats why I asked on here, I think SF owners somewhere in life, think alike. :D

Now to read up on these oldschool tuning eproms and stuff. Cool.

Some info I found while stripping the bike this weekend.

It has a 15/39 gearing - still on 525 chain
There is carbon fiber in strange places
Has UM222 chip - no PCIII as far as I can tell.
It has Ducati Performance 45/50 exhaust ....sounds wicked.
now has the OEM streetfighter clutch cover from my SF. Matches the bike perfectly.

giggles

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts