Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this bike in today, but we believe the motor is junk (will verify shortly).

Assuming it's long gone, what should I do? I've seen motors for $900 or so on ebay, which seems cheap. Some of the fairings aren't original, so maybe throw in a bigger motor (1098?)

I'm not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I'm biased, as I own what was the last of the Desmoquattro Superbike's and have always had a soft spot for Taglioni's Desmodromic masterstroke...

That said, I would keep the period correct livery with the Cagiva era graphics (1997?), grab a pair of 5 spoke Marchesini's (not period correct... I know...) and depending on the shape of the motor either rebuild it with upgraded rockers, hot cams, lightened flywheel, close ratio gearbox, etc., or drop a new 916 mill in it with all of the previously mentioned requisite performance upgrades. You could also have the frame and wheels powder coated to match as closely as possible the original bronze/gold or do the wheels black or dark grey metallic (e.g., 916 SPS), replace those god awful mirrors with a pair of OEM units, and add some CF parts here and there, e.g. front mudguard, air runners, etc. It seems, at least outwardly, to be in beautiful condition, and it is rare to see 916's of that era in such good shape.

Ultimately, you would end up with a Desmoquattro powered beauty looking something very much like this... which at least IMO, is just plain gorgeous.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm biased, as I own what was the last of the Desmoquattro Superbike's and have always had a soft spot for Taglioni's Desmodromic masterstroke...

That said, I would keep the period correct livery with the Cagiva era graphics (1997?), grab a pair of 5 spoke Marcheini's (not period correct... I know...) and depending on the shape of the motor either rebuild it with upgraded rockers, hot cams, lightened flywheel, close ratio gearbox, etc., or drop a new 916 mill in it with all of the previously mentioned requisite performance upgrades. You could also have the frame and wheels powder coated to match as closely as possible the original bronze/gold or do the wheels black or dark grey metallic (e.g., 916 SPS), replace those god awful mirrors with a pair of OEM units, and add some CF parts here and there, e.g. front mudguard, air runners, etc. It seems, at least outwardly, to be in beautiful condition, and it is rare to see 916's of that era in such good shape.

Ultimately, you would end up with a Desmoquattro powered beauty looking something very much like this... which at least IMO, is just plain gorgeous.

I can't decide on the rims. My last 916 had them powdercoated black which I liked, but I do like the gold too. If my 996 has the 5 spoke I might just keep the three spoke on the 916.

I guess I need to see if the engine can be salvaged.

What do you think of upgrading the gauges to the 1098 style?

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
+1 on ProphetPVD's note: That 916 in his post is beautiful.

Are you intending on selling it? If so, go with period correct. If you're intending on keeping it and riding it, the sky's the limit! If it were me, I'd find a used 916-996 motor (assuming the original is toast), upgrade the rockers, get hotter cams, and a lightened flywheel. Also, while I'm spending your money, might as well throw in some MPB collets for lengthened valve adjustment intervals.

As far as carbon fiber goes, I like it when done tastefully, but everyone has their own idea of what's tasteful. Please get some OEM mirrors... The 5 spoke Marchesinis are beautiful, in my opinion, but I wouldn't just dump those 3 spokes.

You'll want an upper fairing. Keep your eye peeled on eBay. You might look at some folks who have done fairing repairs.

I've wanted a Ducati 916/996 since I saw the 916 write up in 'Sportbike' magazine back in 1997. I finally have my dream bike in the form of a red 996 monoposto. Congratulations on getting one!

Micah

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
684 Posts
In my opinion 916s are going to become quite collectable very soon, its already very hard to find one all original, and fine period correct examples are also becoming rare. It looks like you have a good candidate for restore as long as the engine is rebuildable.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I can't decide on the rims. My last 916 had them powdercoated black which I liked, but I do like the gold too. If my 996 has the 5 spoke I might just keep the three spoke on the 916.

I guess I need to see if the engine can be salvaged.

What do you think of upgrading the gauges to the 1098 style?

I personally prefer the period correct OEM analog gauges, but the 848/1098 cluster is pretty sweet looking, as are several of the Translogic units.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can plastic weld that broken fairing for you...
Yes please.

In my opinion 916s are going to become quite collectable very soon, its already very hard to find one all original, and fine period correct examples are also becoming rare. It looks like you have a good candidate for restore as long as the engine is rebuildable.
I feel the same way. I really want to keep it all original, or as close to it as possible. But once I realized some stuff had been replaced, and needs to be replaced, I was wondering if that road was passed long ago.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
putting a 1098, 1198,848 motor in a 916 is a lot of custom work. there are a few threads here from people who have done it. was going to put an 848 in my 748, was going to be a lot of work. you can put an 748/ 996/ 998 motor with little work involved. you can always rebuild it to., depending on how bad it is.
have some nose fairings if you need one. let us know how bad the motor is.
i have looked at motors on ebay, most dont have a warranty or guarantee so you could be stuck with a headache too

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I personally prefer the period correct OEM analog gauges, but the 848/1098 cluster is pretty sweet looking, as are several of the Translogic units.
how hard is it to fit a 848 gauge setup?

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Oh Flyn' that's a good joke, since when is a Ducati a good investment? Except of course when we're trying to convince the old lady this is a GREAT deal and I just can't lose money on it? :wink2:

From your past fleet I'd be willing to your wife no longer falls for that either, if she ever did. We do it because we enjoy these damn bikes:wink2:

And Prophet made me spit out my water..... spending someone else's money:grin2:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have made money on all my ducati's i bought and sold. Buy low sell high or in pieces.

·
Flying Brit
1,815 Posts
I agree, I would put it back period correct and find a similar 916/748/996 engine for it. Nice bike though!
I agree , stock original and it can only go up in value , there will be less valuable with any upgrades and I think they look fantastic in original livery and configuration

·
Flying Brit
1,815 Posts
What do those bike bring in pristine condition $6 - $7K? I'd think real hard before I threw too much cash at it.
My last one with very low miles sold for $12k Varese built

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
there is a nice looking '95 on ebay for 7k

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I agree , stock original and it can only go up in value , there will be less valuable with any upgrades and I think they look fantastic in original livery and configuration
Agree with you re. the livery... configuration however I typically tend to lean towards "tuning" the machine to it's utmost capabilities. As long, of course, as it is still ridable. ;) That said, "specials", e.g., R's, SP's, SPS's, etc. I believe should be left as close to stock as possible, which IMO retains the "intent" of the original design, as well as the capability to return to a completely OEM configuration.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts