Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now.
I love riding but I also love modifying and working on my 3 Ducs. That is the reason why I always keep an eye on the classifieds section.

Unfortunately, my last two transactions with forum members have been rather unpleasant:
1) One of them sold me an ECU that I am not able to use and he is not answering any of my private messages.
2) The other sold me 2 sets of shocks and I only received one pair. In his perspective, one pair is still a good deal for the price so I should be ok.

I am not the moaning guy type and I am also not comfortable exposing people for what they did wrong.
Nevertheless, I think this dishonest behavior should not be overseen. I do not wish other members feel the I way I do now in the future.

I understand that this is not a sales site with seller rating features.
Is there something that can be done?

Regards

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
yeah that sucks, reminds me of a fender fiasco a few years ago that was eveeeeentuaaaaaaally resolved. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
expose them! best of luck!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
While it's generally understood buying and selling on forums has an inherent risk because there's no buyer protection like e-bay there are still things that can be done, both for yourself as well as the other members on the forum. If it was me i would proceed as follows

Give the seller three days/pm's to reply, if he replied within a day when you were buying he should respond within a day when you have an issue with the sale, that said, if it took him a week to reply when you were buying you need to be patient because he may have work commitments that have him out of contact.

After that (and i hope you paid with PayPal, there's really no other way) file a complaint with Paypal AND your credit card company if Paypal used your credit card for payment, they will act on your behalf and are usually very good at issuing a refund and then going after the seller if you can provide the correct documentation, e-mails, texts etc to prove your case.

Inform the mods here, dunno who they are, and i think some are old women, i got banned for a week for warning members about a guy here who is a serial scammer on another forum, go figure, but do it anyway.

Expose them, list their user name and what they did, they need to know their behaviour won't go unnoticed for the benefit of members and the forum.

thats what i would do anyway.
good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Next time.. only deal with Paypal and have them invoice you or request payment from you.

NEVER PAID DIRECT WITH OUT ANY INVOICE.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Before we get out the pitchforks, more info is needed.

Why can't you use the ECU? Was it misrepresented, or did you figure out what you thought would work, won't?

As for the shocks, were both sets shipped? Did you pay for insurance? Were they shipped at the lowest rate and one of them didn't make an international trip?

None of this is meant to accuse anyone of anything, it's only meant to point out there's not enough info here to say if anyone should be called out or shamed.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chuck! Please keep the PM reply Private.

Before we get out the pitchforks, more info is needed.

Why can't you use the ECU? Was it misrepresented, or did you figure out what you thought would work, won't?
It was a Sportclassic DP Race ECU. It did not work for me because it was it was coded with the red key and it would only work with the sellers bike. The only way to make it work for my bike was to send it to be re-flashed, but I could have done the same with my stock ECU without spending extra bucks.

As for the shocks, were both sets shipped? Did you pay for insurance? Were they shipped at the lowest rate and one of them didn't make an international trip?
I had confirmation from the seller that he only sent one set. So no blame goes to carrier or customs.

Next time.. only deal with Paypal and have them invoice you or request payment from you.
I did pay with Paypal. Thanks for bringing this up! I feel stupid for not thinking about this before. I will give them one last chance of straighten things up and then file a claim through Paypal if we don't reach an agreement.

While it's generally understood buying and selling on forums has an inherent risk because there's no buyer protection like e-bay there are still things that can be done, both for yourself as well as the other members on the forum. If it was me i would proceed as follows

Give the seller three days/pm's to reply, if he replied within a day when you were buying he should respond within a day when you have an issue with the sale, that said, if it took him a week to reply when you were buying you need to be patient because he may have work commitments that have him out of contact.

After that (and i hope you paid with PayPal, there's really no other way) file a complaint with Paypal AND your credit card company if Paypal used your credit card for payment, they will act on your behalf and are usually very good at issuing a refund and then going after the seller if you can provide the correct documentation, e-mails, texts etc to prove your case.

Inform the mods here, dunno who they are, and i think some are old women, i got banned for a week for warning members about a guy here who is a serial scammer on another forum, go figure, but do it anyway.

Expose them, list their user name and what they did, they need to know their behaviour won't go unnoticed for the benefit of members and the forum.

thats what i would do anyway.
good luck.
Thanks for all the recommendations. They are really helpful.

The only part I disagree with is the exposure.

I feel I got scammed for money, and I think I should try to get some of my money back. But public exposure is a whole different game. I would feel like returning a punch with a bullet.

yeah that sucks, reminds me of a fender fiasco a few years ago that was eveeeeentuaaaaaaally resolved. Good luck.
Thanks. I hope I can get mine resolved too

·
Registered
123 Posts
IIRC... You might still able to save the ECU.
you probably can get it sent out to get the red key coding disable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts