Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted, but here's what I'm facing...

I picked up a 749 Dark that was tracked for cheap ($1500).

I knew there was an issue, but I wasn't sure what the extent was. About 50% of the time, the engine drops out of 2nd gear into Neutral when you roll off the throttle. I only recently found out that when I asked for a local shop to replace the shift mechanism, that part of the old shift fork wasn't recovered. After discussing this with a couple of folks, it's been determined that the broken shift fork must be lodged in the 2nd gear dog preventing me from fully engaging 2nd gear, hence the slip into Neutral.

However, this can't be fixed until I tear apart the motor. I've decided to take this on as a rebuild project to learn. In the meantime, I picked up a 999S motor on eBay ($1000 shipped) from a shop that says it runs strong, shifts well, and doesn't have any leaks or burn off of any kind. It's just a tad over 30k miles so I know it's probably due for valve timing adjustment, but I'm not sure what else would be needed since the engine condition is relatively unknown.

Should I drop in this motor as is into the 749? Or should I tear it apart and attempt a rebuild of either the top end or bottom end or both? I'm planning to do this all myself in order to save labor cost.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts