Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a dilemma on my hands as the wife and I are looking for a second bike.
To give a little background my wife is from Rome and has been riding scooters/smaller CC motorcycles since she was 15. While living with her in Rome I gained about 5 years of riding experience (mainly scooters). Now we are back in the US and currently own an 09 ninja 250 and have spent the last year riding and gaining experience here (completely different driving mentality).

We have been to the Ducati factory outside of Bologna and completely lust after their bikes. I dream of owning an 1198 one day but let's try to come back to reality. My wife really loves the Monster 696 or 1100 and I wouldn't mind having one either. The problem is that here in the Seattle area it is very hard to find one for less than just under 11k otd, which to me seems a little high.

Another bike which has caught my attention recently is the Triumph Daytona 675, a beautiful work of art in its own right, which leads me to my dilemma. It all occurred about a week ago when I ran across an incredible deal on a brand new 09 daytona 675 (under 9k OTD). This deal is so tempting! The only catch is I need to make up my mind by the end of the year as it expires on the 31st. The more I research and look at the daytona the closer I'm getting to pulling the trigger.

Something to consider is that we are planning a 2 week road trip next summer to head down to California for the MotoGP at lagunaseca. Knowing this I'm not so thrilled at the idea of riding 4+ hours per day on the Daytona with its very aggressive ergos. I'm sure there are some accessories (handle bar risers, gel seat, etc...) to help with the ergos but I'm quite positive that the monster would be a more pleasant ride for touring.

With that in mind I think the monster 696 or 1100 may be the better choice and we have been in love with it from day one but at 11k otd it'll have to wait. I was really hoping to pay no more than 10k otd for a 696 monster and maybe 11,5 for an 1100.

Then again that Triumph is so damn sexy!

Do you understand my internal struggle?

Any ideas? Perhaps a place to get a good deal on the monster?

thanks for listening

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you're going to do any long-distance rides, especially two-up, then you'd better be pretty hearty souls if you want to tough out that kind of ride on a sportbike such as the Daytona 675. It's a great bike, but definitely not the hot ticket for all-day comfort or a ride from Seattle to Monterey. :eek: Either one of the Monsters will be far more comfortable than that, and even then not the ideal mount for a two-up tour of that length. But it is doable. If those are the bikes on your short list, then the Monster will be the best bet. And if you're going to do a lot of two-up riding, then the 1100 is the logical choice as well. Not the easy solution financially, but the best from what you've chosen to work with here. It's the end of the year though and the economy is hurting so you should be able to get an M1100 at a decent price. Be willing to shop outside your direct area for the best price if that's what it takes, but the extra money spent investing in a bike that will more adequately suit the needs of both of you will be worth it. Might I suggest a leftover Multistrada 1100? Awesome do-it-all ride that's capable and fun sport riding and touring with a passenger.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why not consider the best alternative which is a Triumph Street Triple 675. Same engine as the Daytona but more comfortable ergos.

The power delivery on that bike and low maintenance cost would be a welcome.

A brand new Striple 675 will run under 11K OTD. Here in socal a brand new one can be had for $10400 OTD and that's the R version with better suspension bits.

Having said that - either bike you get you will need to replace the stock seat if you plan to do any sort of touring. GL!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will not be riding 2 up as we are going to keep the ninja 250 so we each have our own bike. We will probably just trade off so we can each ride the new bike equally.

As far as the street triple, I like that bike as well but if the price is 10-11k otd I would just as well get the monster. The reason for wanting to get the daytona 675 is the excellent price (9k otd) and the many positive reviews i've read. well, that and its incredible looks!!

thanks for the info. While i'm not too keen on the styling of the multistrada it would definitely be something to consider.

thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
54 Posts
a new Street Triple R is about 9500 before dealer fees. The basic Street Triple is $8900. The dealers webpage I'm looking at has the Daytona at $10,000. The 696 at $9,000 and the 1100 at $12000. So the Street Triple R is a great deal. I've ridden my buddy's and it was awesome, very quick and really comfortable. He's had his for a year now and loves it, I've never heard a single complaint about the Triumph Street Triple R. If you're worried about cost, go with that.

P.S. All the prices I listed are before dealer fees, just remember that though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
agreed 11,5 otd is too low for an 1100. My mistake.
the 696 is probably the better option for our budget.

i like the striple as well but if the price is similar to the monster then we would prefer the monster.

I guess what I want is to get a 696 for around 10k max but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon which is why i have been contemplating the daytona at 9k otd (special deal that ends on the 31st).

Most likely we will pass on the daytona though as it is probably not the best bike for doing any kind of long distance riding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just purchased an M1100 for $10800 OTD and same as cash financing till April (no payments). Only got to ride it for one day before the snow came, but it is awesome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like you want a Street Triple. It uses the same frame and engine (with very minor changes) as the Daytona, and the Street Triple R also uses the same brakes and suspension as the Daytona. But it's a naked bike and you sit relatively upright, though still forward a bit, but not as much as on the Monster as far as I remember. I think it's the bike you should be comparing the Monster to. MSRP of the Street is $8800, Street R is $9600.

The motor makes way more power than the Monster 696, both on paper (dyno) and seat-of-the-pants.

·
Registered
133 Posts
since you are budget conscious, note that they have extended the tax deduction on your sales taxes for a purchase of a new bike. just sayn'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ducati or Triumph

First time poster here from Australia. Before I bought my Monster 1100 I tried every sports bike out there. I already own an LC350 Yamaha and an Electra Glide Harley for touring so I just wanted a toy. I had a Speed Triple Triumph on order until I started to read on the forums about the Triumphs having rust problems. I travelled a long way to three separate Triumph dealers and found corrosion on all their demo bikes. Seriously some of those bikes were already looking second hand and they were brand new. Engine bolts mainly but corrosion on the shiny parts too and under the steering head on one bike. I cancelled my S3 and bought a red 1100S fitted the Termi slip ons at the first service and it is a beautiful bike. I broke my ankle just after that first service (not on a bike) and it is sitting in my living room awaiting my recovery just because it is so beautiful to look at. It is not a two up bike in my opinion though. Your wife would have to be very much in love aand extremely understanding to ride pillion on either. I rode across Route 50 in 2006 and am coming back there in September 2010 but will be in a car. Doing LA to Sacramento for a bikers party and then over to Reno for an air show then maybe across to NYC for a few days. Love your roads over there in the US. Best bike riding country in the world.:) Regards........Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts