Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What tires do you guys run on your SuperSports? I have been using Metzeler tires for years. I switched from Sportech M1 to the new M3 a few months ago and still dont know if I like them better. What has you guys experiences been with these tires or other brands?

P.S. I am a big tire fashion geek so I run a 180 rear instead of the 170 it came with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I've tried alot of brands from Bridgestone Batlax (sucked), to Dunlops D series (sucked), to Michelin Pilot Roads (best so far-best grip dry/wet weather), and now trying Avon Azaros. So far so good on the Avons, although I really haven't been riding as much as usual due to my wife giving birth to our third child, so I'm kinda home bound for a little bit. BTW, these were all street riding, well if you call terrorizing Amish farmers on rural Southern Pa backroads street :yeah: Well gotta go, looks like a couple of oil threads starting...

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's all opinion and we all have one. But mine is the only correct one. Right?

+1 on the Roads. They take a lot of trashing from other threads. But I like 'em. and many many street riders I see are running them. Maybe the few that don't like them have suspension set-up issues. Or some ther kind of issue...

Flame, flame, flame on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Switched to Pilot Roads after the last set of Diablos wore out. Good all around wet/ dry tire and great tread life, but I liked the feel of the diablos better. I'll probably try the pilot powers after the Roads wear out. I did find that in identical riding situations I tend to slide the rear downshifting where the Diablo rear wouldn't ( which is actually kind of fun).

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Michelin Pilot Powers.

If you were using Metzler Sportechs in the past--you will want something like the Powers as the Roads are more mileage oriented. A lot of Sportbike riders are getting 8000 aggressive miles on the Powers (which is 2X what I used to get out of the Sportechs).

The price is very good onthe Powers right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Humm maybe I will have to think about switching tire brands. I get 3k out of a rear and about double that from a front with the Metzeler Sportec M1s. The M3s are still new but they are said to last longer, we will see.

·
Registered
58 Posts
moto said:
Michelin Pilot Powers.

If you were using Metzler Sportechs in the past--you will want something like the Powers as the Roads are more mileage oriented. A lot of Sportbike riders are getting 8000 aggressive miles on the Powers (which is 2X what I used to get out of the Sportechs).

The price is very good onthe Powers right now.
8k AGGRESSIVE MILES!!!!!!!!! maybe on the front. more like 2500 miles on the rear. which is very good for me. would get 1k or less on others.

i have complete confindece in the powers. im on my 4th set

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
wad said:
8k AGGRESSIVE MILES!!!!!!!!! maybe on the front. more like 2500 miles on the rear. which is very good for me. would get 1k or less on others.

I like the Powers too, but also get about 2700 on a rear, 3400 on a front.

The most I've gotten on a rear is 3200 miles, and 3800 on a front, but that set saw more highway miles than the other sets.

And I'm on my 5th set, pretty consistant mileage.

I might get 8000 if I only rode in the rain, otherwise I can't see how.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing that I found interesting was when I had my Honda RC51 and my Ducati SuperSport both on Metzeler Sportec M1 at the same time I would get 1700-2000 miles out of a rear on the Honda where as the Ducati could get close to 3000 out of the same tire. I guess having another 45 h.p and more weight really took its toll on the rear tire. Front tire wear was about the same. I rode both bikes the same way to the same places so it was a pretty good comparison.

One more reason to own a SuperSport: less power = less tire wear :think: .

·
Registered
610 Posts
What about the Pirelle Diablo Corse? A little pricey!

They came with my bike and I'm new to riding,
I'm not sure if I need an expensive tire or something moderate so I can continue to learn and not find my self laying my bike down...

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Okay, for my itty bitty little powerless 750, I use the stock sizes (160 rear). The stock D207s were crap. Both rear 207s I had lasted maybe 2500 miles. Then went to the old Michelin Macs (100X). Good enough traction for the street, and rears lasted 5000 miles or so. Then went to the B010 front BT020 rear combination. That was the best I ever had, and I was still getting two rears to one front.

Now am using M1s. Since I am doing fewer miles these days, I thought I would treat myself again to a true sport tire. Honestly, I find ths grip on the rear when leaned over no better than the 020, and I doubt it will last as long. The front is brilliant though. My fronts after the D207 have all been 60 profile though - I think stock was a 70. Messes up the speedometer reading a little, but otherwise seems to work fine.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
StavesacredarK said:
What about the Pirelle Diablo Corse? A little pricey!
Really? Here, they are cheaper than Powers by quite a bit.

I currently have a couple sets on my rims for the SS, and use Powers on the ST2. Similar mileage and stick, though I think the Powers are a little better in the rain. I had 208RRs before, also nice.

Tom

·
Registered
235 Posts
Anyone tried the new Dunlop Qualifier?

·
Registered
58 Posts
1999 748 : Mich. Pilot Power's (190 in the rear)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I run Diablos and love them. I can't even remember what I had on them before I first tried the Pirellis, but I went out of the shop for a ride through the twisties and forgot about the scrubbing in....I have soooo much feel and I like the amount of grip I have wet/dry. I get good distance from them, too. Normally around the 10000kms before replacing (although that is mostly commuting :eek: )

:)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
wad said:

Moto is right...8,200 miles out of the "rear" on my last set of Pilot Powers, and he will vouch for my "agressive" riding. My second set of PP's have three track days so far and 2,500 miles and the center isn't even close to squareing off. My wife get's 7,000+ out of her BT-014's, including three track days so far, and Moto can vouch for her "agressive riding as well". I don't have a clue what you guys are doing to your tires???

Either way, tires are personal preference. So many different features and capabilities you just gotta try something and see if you like it. Here's something I say on every tire thread and I'll say it again...With todays line up of sport bike tires you really can't go wrong. You just can't. They're all going to be very comparable in mileage, more grip than anyone should ever need on the street (and many on the track), and capabilities that are probably going to be unnoticable between brands unless you're an AMA quality rider. My advice, pick the best looking tire you like from the modern line up. Sound pretty dang corny, but if you really think about it, is it really that far fetched in todays tire technology?? Since you are asking for opinions, you can not go wrong with a Pilot Power or a Bridgestone BT-014.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
galaxy said:
Moto is right...8,200 miles out of the "rear" on my last set of Pilot Powers, and he will vouch for my "agressive" riding. My second set of PP's have three track days so far and 2,500 miles and the center isn't even close to squareing off. My wife get's 7,000+ out of her BT-014's, including three track days so far, and Moto can vouch for her "agressive riding as well". I don't have a clue what you guys are doing to your tires???
Maybe our idea of aggressive riding is different than yours?

One one set I got 3100 miles, 3000 on another, and 2700 on the other two. The 2CT version I have on there now will also probably last less than three. I get about 3500 on the front. I will check tomorrow, I have the numbers on my work computer.

Tom

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hey Tom. don't sweat it...I know you and I have had this coversation a couple times already. I just mention it for anyone else reading this article. Trust me, I'm the minority here. Don't know how I get the mileage I do, cause I use my tires. I have the same problem (if you want to call it that) with the tires on my vehicles as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also run a 180 in the rear with the original 4.5" rim... I was told by Ducati shop either to drop back to the 170 or get a 5" rim for the 180. Anyway... I'm running Continental Force tires I got from Tire Express, delivered for < $200. After 1K miles they still look new. I run Pilot Roads on my ST and they are loud suckers (all weather). Also have run Metzlers Z6's and get about 7000 miles out of them.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
galaxy said:
Hey Tom. don't sweat it...I know you and I have had this coversation a couple times already. I just mention it for anyone else reading this article. Trust me, I'm the minority here. Don't know how I get the mileage I do, cause I use my tires. I have the same problem (if you want to call it that) with the tires on my vehicles as well.
Just replaced the front, longest lasting PP evern on my bike, 4600 miles! (the two previous lasted 3800 and 3500)

Meanwhile, at 2300, the 2CT rear has another 4-500 left to give, which puts it in the high twos, pretty much what I was getting with the old PPs.

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts