Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have over 4ooo miles on my hyper. I'm starting to look at a new rear tire that I will need in 2000 miles+-. I Have 3 options:

1 Pirelli diablo strada
2 Mechilin power pilot
3 BRIDGESTONE BT-016 Street

What do you guys recomend? I do most of my riding on the highway and around town. the tracks are too far from me, but I try to lean a lot on highway ramps. Some of them have nice curves. :)

Does it matter if I have a bridgestone on the front and a different brand tire on the rear? I'm asking that because I don't want to replace the front one yet. I hear that the front one last two times the rear.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
get the bt-016 stones.

i have a little over 3,000 miles on the bt-016s on my hypertard at the present, and they are SOOOO much better than the stock stones and the pirelli's i had on prior to now.

the rears have 3 compounds in them ... hard center, softer shoulders, and REALLY soft edges.

the fronts are a 2 compound, hard center and softer sides.

very stable, warm up quickly even on the street, and provide decent wear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm running a 16 right now on the back. I'm impressed with it so far, hoping it wears well.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
If the BT016s are anything like the BT014s, get the Pirellis.

My Bt014s were extremely "numb" and put me on my azz. Pirellis have WAY more feel for traction and you won't find me riding on anything else until that fact changes.

My opinion....

Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love the original Pirelli Diablo Corsa and the Diablo Corsa IIIs. I recently bought the 016s because I found them at a price that I couldn't refuse and because the Corsa IIIs are now over $325 and have a poor lifespan on the torquey Hyper. I'll try the 016s and see if it's worth the savings. If not, it's back to what I know!:)

·
Registered
605 Posts
From what you say I think you will like the Diablo Strada. I have 2K on mine and its still like new, should go over 6K easy the way I ride. Its billed as a sport touring tire, so life is a condideration. Works well for reasonable(and slightly unreasonable;)) street riding even in the rain, no complaints. Why throw $$ away on track day tires if your a commuter that rides the slab?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have over 4ooo miles on my hyper. I'm starting to look at a new rear tire that I will need in 2000 miles+-. I Have 3 options:

1 Pirelli diablo strada
2 Mechilin power pilot

What do you guys recomend? I do most of my riding on the highway and around town. the tracks are too far from me, but I try to lean a lot on highway ramps. Some of them have nice curves. :)

Does it matter if I have a bridgestone on the front and a different brand tire on the rear? I'm asking that because I don't want to replace the front one yet. I hear that the front one last two times the rear.
Out of the three, for street/ track the BT-016 is the best, but is more equivalent to the Pirelli Corsa III, which comes on the "S", and will wear faster than the Strada or Pilot, for all around riding may I suggest the Pirelli Sync, a great all around tire. IMHO Alex

·
Registered
327 Posts
If mileage is of the utmost importanance, you can always try the 'Stones BT021 or Michy Pilot Road 2. Both are sport touring variants that come in dual compounds!

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I Have 3 options:

1 Pirelli diablo strada
2 Mechilin power pilot

I do most of my riding on the highway and around town. the tracks are too far from me, but I try to lean a lot on highway ramps. Some of them have nice curves. :)
From what YOU posted, the Pirelli Strada is the clear choice. Everyone has their own preferences and tastes, along with their own riding style.

The PP and 016 are both sport tires. From your description, you need a sport-touring tire, so the Strada is it, out of those three.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pirelli Angel?

Have you seen the new Pirelli Angel?
I was after a tyre that lasted better than the Corsa3 (1750 miles!!!) and was looking various different options from the BT016 to the Scorpion Sync.
A local dealer pointed me towards the new Pirelli Angel which I'd heard about but dismissed as naff because of the supid sounding tread pattern (angels/devils...). He was well impressed with them, having sold quite a few and got nothing but good feedback.
Ended up buying it. Now I'm very impressed - done a 1000 miles so far, both wet and dry roads, and it feels great. Barely worn at all. Projected life at least 5,000 miles.
And now that the silly 'angel wings' have scrubbed off the tread pattern actually looks pretty cool as it goes well with the angular lines of the bike.
How shallow am I...

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
That's a pretty interesting tire!Did a quick search.The tread pattern supposedly changes from an Angel motif to a Devil motif after about 600 mi.:rolleyes: Whatever. I couldn't really tell from the crappy pics I looked at.
What I did see is a pretty decent looking tread that supposedly wears long.Not a bad option if you're looking for a sport touring tire.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put 5,200 miles on my Pirelli Diablo Corsa III. Mainly commuting and 2 track days (160 miles). I still have maybe 300 more miles to go before replacing them.

I was debating between the Corsa III and the BT 016 but then I found the Corsa III at $275 and so I think it's a great deal.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
I put 5,200 miles on my Pirelli Diablo Corsa III. Mainly commuting and 2 track days (160 miles). I still have maybe 300 more miles to go before replacing them.

I was debating between the Corsa III and the BT 016 but then I found the Corsa III at $275 and so I thinnk it's a great deal.
Good price!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
for all around riding may I suggest the Pirelli Sync, a great all around tire. IMHO Alex
Agree with this, I run them and they are brilliant, long wear and good traction.

Got slight squirmy on a track day when they got really hot but this was a controlled drift as opposed to a slide, grip and throw from a stickier tyre.

I got 6008 km out of the rear and our chip is very harsh so I am stoked.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Agree with this, I run them and they are brilliant, long wear and good traction.

Got slight squirmy on a track day when they got really hot but this was a controlled drift as opposed to a slide, grip and throw from a stickier tyre.

I got 6008 km out of the rear and our chip is very harsh so I am stoked.
i would have thought you could have pushed for the 6010km mark, I'd be unhappy with that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts