Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the different between the 998 & 998S ‘02

Hello,

What are the main differences between the 2002 998 & 998s???

I thought the suspension were the only different parts??? “””Ohlins R/T forks””””

What about the ECU???

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the motors are different, Shit!!!!!!!!!! i thought the only differences was the Suspension, and a Carbon Air Box???

Tye, please go into detail!!! i will also look on the duc web site!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
In USA, the 998S is nothing more than a 998 with ohlins steering damper. The deep sump engine with R cams had not been homologated for exhaust emission in USA.
Only the euro 998S has the deep sump engine and "mean" cams: 136 hp.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hello,

What are the main differences between the 2002 998 & 998s???

I thought the suspension were the only different parts??? “””Ohlins R/T forks””””

What about the ECU???
The answer is it depends on wheteher you're looking at a Euro spec 998S or a US spec 998S.

In the case of the US Spec 998S, the differences are mainly suspension (Ohlins versus Showa), mechanically they are identical.

The Euro Spec 998S in addition to the Ohlins suspension also gains a deep sump motor with revised cams, ECU etc. (meaning a jump in power).

In essence a Euro 998S is basically a 996R without the Carbon bodywork and some of the other expensive parts.

Andrew...

·
Registered
572 Posts
All 998 have Ohlins rear shock.
The 2002 998S has, as the standard one, a Showa fork.
Only the 2004 998FE has an Ohlins fork (and, of course the 998R)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
All 998 have Ohlins rear shock.
The 2002 998S has, as the standard one, a Showa fork.
Only the 2004 998FE has an Ohlins fork (and, of course the 998R)
And, in the case of my '02 Bayliss 998S, it has Ohlin's front, rear and steering damper. My bike must have been "worked" somehow because, although it has a TI full system, the motor is nothing like my '02 998 biposto. It is much stronger everywhere and gets about 10 mpg less on the slab. I'm guessing there's a set of cams in it. The dealer who worked on this bike back in '02 no longer has records. So, I'm not sure how to figure it all out.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sorry, i had forgotten the Bayliss and Bostrom Limited editions. They have both Ohlins fork.
I never remember if the US version of these bikes have the deep sump/ R cams engine.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Sorry, i had forgotten the Bayliss and Bostrom Limited editions. They have both Ohlins fork.
I never remember if the US version of these bikes have the deep sump/ R cams engine.
My bike does not have the deep sump but may have the R cams. Although I have been told they are not a stock part of the US version.

Here's what confuses me: my Bayliss is badged a 998S. According to the www.Ducati.com site Tye posted, a North American 998S engine makes 136 hp based on the 996R motor (not a deep sump?) but a North American Bayliss makes 123 hp. This makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K.
So there are no yellow or red 998s U.S. specs 2002-03 998, with the ohlins R/T forks & Brembo 4 pad calipers? A true U.S. SPEC 998s are only the race replicas, and the 2004 FE 998s?

·
Registered
572 Posts
My bike does not have the deep sump but may have the R cams. Although I have been told they are not a stock part of the US version.

Here's what confuses me: my Bayliss is badged a 998S. According to the www.Ducati.com site Tye posted, a North American 998S engine makes 136 hp based on the 996R motor (not a deep sump?) but a North American Bayliss makes 123 hp. This makes no sense to me.
So, US SPEC Bayliss and US SPEC Bostrom 998S have the regular engine. The R cams fit the regular engine, it was part of the half-system 50mm/CPU/mean cam DP kit.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
So, US SPEC Bayliss and US SPEC Bostrom 998S have the regular engine. The R cams fit the regular engine, it was part of the half-system 50mm/CPU/mean cam DP kit.
According to the Ducati site, the stock US (North American) "S" motor makes 136 hp. So, one assumes there was a US "S" model in '02. Otherwise why would there be a spec for it in Ducati literature? And, the Bayliss model is an "S" according to my bike graphics and Title. But, it has a 123 hp motor? I still don't get it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is why i started this thread to figure out what the hell is going on with 998s models from 2002-2004????

also, i have seen so called 998s models for sale with no Ohlins R/T forks, and Brembo 4 pad calipers? most likely just a "S" sticker.

I thought a true U.S. Spec "S" model was just a standard 998, with the Ohlins R/T forks, and the Brembo 4 pad calipers!!!!!!!!, AND MAYBE A C.F. AIR BOX??

The European Spec "S" model was the Ohlins R/T forks, Brembo 4 pad calipers, 996R Camshafts, 996R ECU, and a full Termi exhaust????? = the 136hp motor!!! also maybe with the c.f. air box???

·
Registered
572 Posts
Euro 998 (2002/2003):
- Standard cams
- Low sump cases
- Showa fork
- Two pads Brembo calipers
- Standard steering damper
- 45mm exhaust system

US 998 (2002/2003)
- Same as EURO 998

Euro 998S (2002)
- R cams
- Deep sump cases
- The engine is the same as 996R, minus the sand casted cases.
- Showa fork
- 4 pads Brembo calipers
- Ohlins steering damper
- 50mm exhaust system
- Bottom fairing with carbon belly pan.

US 998S (2002)
- Same as EURO, minus the engine. The US 998S has the standard engine.

Euro 998S Bayliss and Bostrom (2002)
- Same as Euro 998S + Ohlins fork + Specific paint scheme. The bayliss is a 2001 996F01 replica. The Bostrom: Ducati was not allowed to use L&M paint scheme, so they use Ben's helmet design. The Bostrom has blue rims and frame.

US 998S Bayliss and Bostrom (2002)
- Same as Euro bikes, minus the engine (standard specs).

Euro 998S Final Edition (2004)
- Same as 998S + Ohlins fork. Limited edition with italian flag on seat. The rear wheel is a Multistrada wheel (slightly different design as previous 5 spokes sbk rims).

US 998S Final Edition (2004)
- Same as Euro bike, minus the engine (standard specs).

Euro and US 998 Matrix (2004)
- Same as standard 998. Green metalic paint. Matrix Reloaded sticker on the seat. Multistrada rear wheel.

998R (2002)
- 999 cm3 engine, 104mm bore.
- Deep sump cases, Sand casted.
- 4 pads Brembo calipers
- Forged wheels
- Ohlins Fork
- CF fairing, CF mudgard, CF airbox, CF umbrella girl.
- 50mm Exhaust system

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only 998S you could buy in the US was either a Bayliss or Bostrom replica. As stated before, those two bikes have the same engine as a standard 998. The more powerful 998S was a Euro only model. So in 2002, you basically had a choice of 998, 998S Bayliss, 998S Bostrom, or 998R.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gentlemen, Thank you for clearing that up for me!!!!

O.K. So if i what'd to make my 998 a Euro Spec, i would have to get a set of 996r cams/996R ECU/ 4-pad brembo calipers, and a C.F. lower belly Pan, correct?

I already have the 50mm Termi exhaust, and a couple of other bits!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts