Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me the difference between "Homologated" Termis and "Racing" Termis. There is quite a substantial price difference. :confused:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The difference is that the racing versions are Aluminium vs the road / Homologated version which are Stainless Steel. The Alu versions also have "FOR RACING USE ONLY" stamped into the end bands.

Most people (including me) have the race cans installed - without baffles of course ;).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I assume the Stainless Steel is the reason for the price increase. Otherwise they are identical? Why offer 2 versions if that's the only difference? Do they both sound the same? And I'm with you. No baffles is the only way to go. :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
So I assume the Stainless Steel is the reason for the price increase. Otherwise they are identical? Why offer 2 versions if that's the only difference? Do they both sound the same? And I'm with you. No baffles is the only way to go. :D
Yep, Yep, Don't really know, Yep, Yep :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was under the impression the race only ones didn't come with baffles. When mine came in and they asked if I wanted them in or not I was a little upset, thinking I had gotten the wrong ones. But they do say for race use only on them. I was reserved about getting a set that couldnt ever have baffles put in incase I got pulled over, but it looks like I got the best of both worlds.

So I guess I'd pay less for aluminums.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You possibly will get a slightly different tone as aluminum and stainless steel have different densities. I imagine a little more rounded with alu and more barking and harsh with stainless. But I might be talking out of my ass here...

·
Registered
582 Posts
You possibly will get a slightly different tone as aluminum and stainless steel have different densities. I imagine a little more rounded with alu and more barking and harsh with stainless. But I might be talking out of my ass here...
Yeah I am about to pick up a set from my local dealer, and I was telling them there are 2 different models. They have one in stock, I guess i need to find out which one it is. They are going to sell it to me for $1300 flat. I am just worried if one or the other is going to sound different. I honestly want to be as loud and throaty as possible.

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
I've got the Alu on my "S". Man, they sound GREAT!
RpM

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

the homologation of the pipes costs money, which is then distributed on the unit price. The "racing only" version was just fabricated by Termignoni and shipped out. The homologation requires them to send the pipes ... and usually not only one pair ... to the regulatory bodies of all nations that require an own homologation certificate for being able to sell/operate the item in their country. In Europe, due to reciprocal agreements between all member states, it is enough to homologate the pipes in only one country. The US DOT obviously requires it's own homologation, as do many other states. Although once you have DOT certification, I reckon that it is easier to receive e.g. Canadian and Mexican certification. Anyhow ... getting anything homologated by a state body costs money (fees) and time (=money) ... this is the case for some cheap Termignoni exhausts as well as for entire airplanes or space equipment (my area of expertise :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that something as simple as a DOT certificate number stamped on the pipes increases the cost of a low-unit product far more than any material difference! Isn't that sad!

/Simone

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi,

the homologation of the pipes costs money, which is then distributed on the unit price. The "racing only" version was just fabricated by Termignoni and shipped out. The homologation requires them to send the pipes ... and usually not only one pair ... to the regulatory bodies of all nations that require an own homologation certificate for being able to sell/operate the item in their country. In Europe, due to reciprocal agreements between all member states, it is enough to homologate the pipes in only one country. The US DOT obviously requires it's own homologation, as do many other states. Although once you have DOT certification, I reckon that it is easier to receive e.g. Canadian and Mexican certification. Anyhow ... getting anything homologated by a state body costs money (fees) and time (=money) ... this is the case for some cheap Termignoni exhausts as well as for entire airplanes or space equipment (my area of expertise :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that something as simple as a DOT certificate number stamped on the pipes increases the cost of a low-unit product far more than any material difference! Isn't that sad!

/Simone
Wow....that really explains why the Termis are twice the price they should be. Thanks Simone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts