Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They appear to be one of the forksets used on (maybe) the F1 from the 80s. But I'm probably mistaken. They don't seem to be high zoot Ohlins models ... but then again, maybe? I hope not.

The motorcycle appears to be a 90's SS variant with a modified tail end. The rear suspension also appears to confirm 1990s SS model of some sort as well. A conversion from the stock 90's USD units to these forks would obviously require upper/lower triples + possibly headstock conversion bearing sets. But do the calipers require changing? Wheel spacers? Rotors? Anything else?

Any ideas on what the diameter of the stanchions measures out to? 43mm? Larger/smaller?

They be mostly very beautimus! Add a fork brace and they would be really nice. Hells bells, for that matter Racetech may even offer goodies for them!

Just curious. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Just a guess from those photos...

Those look to be Marzocchi M1R forks, used on the early 851s and all 3 years of the 907 Paso. 41.7mm uppers....yes, you read that right. 41.7.....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a guess from those photos...

Those look to be Marzocchi M1R forks, used on the early 851s and all 3 years of the 907 Paso. 41.7mm uppers....yes, you read that right. 41.7.....
LINK = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Forks-Sospensions-Ducati-851-851-tricolore-F1-Marzocchi-M1R/223167869648?epid=24024322193&hash=item33f5d772d0:g:0-cAAOSwonJbr0Zp

The 41.7mm stanchions don't surprise me or scare me off at all. 39mm stanchions can be made to work just fine on bikes as light as these SS models are. 2006 to 2009 Yamaha R1 forks (non USD) are "only" 43mm ... yes, you read that right .. the '06 Yamaha R1 had 43mm stanchions. The friggin R1! The same era R6 are 41mm. Sportster forks are 39mm. Properly configured and fitted with a high grade fork brace those dimensions are quite workable.

Thanks a lot for the information!!! Those 41.7mm Marzocchi sticks are out of my pay grade, but still nice!

Appreciate the help.

:)

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I only said it like that because 41.7mmm is such a weird number to settle on for fork tubes. Why not 41 or 42?

I just remembered that the 750 Paso used them too...we had them leaking right out of the crates in '87...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'll look tomorrow when I get back to the shop--I happen to have a 91 907ie I can measure them really easy lol

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
the bike is a 1990 900ss and the forks look like original marzocchi m1bb, which are 40mm and the caliper mounts are to suit 40mm calipers and 300mm discs. they're just a basic damper rod fork, although they do have teflon bushes and are different (rebound or compression) side to side. 750 sport has similar forks, except they have mounts for 08 calipers and 280mm discs.

a later rsu fork like the r6 or gsxr600, etc, are cartridge, and much better in an operational sense.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only said it like that because 41.7mmm is such a weird number to settle on for fork tubes. Why not 41 or 42?

I just remembered that the 750 Paso used them too...we had them leaking right out of the crates in '87...:rolleyes:
Oh ok ... now I see. Yea, that's a good point ... 41.7mm is a very odd dimension!

:laugh:

the bike is a 1990 900ss and the forks look like original marzocchi m1bb, which are 40mm and the caliper mounts are to suit 40mm calipers and 300mm discs. they're just a basic damper rod fork, although they do have teflon bushes and are different (rebound or compression) side to side. 750 sport has similar forks, except they have mounts for 08 calipers and 280mm discs.
Great information ... very complete and useful. Thank you!

a later rsu fork like the r6 or gsxr600, etc, are cartridge, and much better in an operational sense.
Yup. :smile2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts