Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning crew,

Quick question for you... Due to a late season oil leak at the base of the vertical cylinder, I'm looking at doing a fairly comprehensive tear down and build over the next several months. I do NOT want to a repeat of the first tear down which was "accomplished" (and I use that word semi-sarcastically) using the OEM Ducati Pit Stand that came with the bike and whatever the hell it was I did with an old scissors jack and pieces of 2x4.

As some of you do this for a living, and others who are "merely" enthusiastic wrenchers do this on a fairly regular basis, I thought it best to ask for some advice. I've looked into doing a Bursig in the past, but they do not have a stock adapter for the Kyalami frame, so I would have to take care of that myself. Complicating matters is that I've not been able to determine whether or not the motor can be dropped if the bike is suspended in the stand using any of the engine mount bosses in the frame.

"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi... you're my only hope."

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Evening Proph. It’s probably not want to hear but a good investment is a cheap’ish bike hoist with a small gantry to hang the bike from various parts of the frame. That bastard of spreading the frame to remove the swinger is made much easier. And you can work at standing height. Sooo much easier. ?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i have the corse dynamics engine stand things on trolleys, and i then lift the frame off the engine when it's sitting on that. way easier.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Amateur here. I have a Harbor Freight bike lift. For engine or suspension removal I jack the bike up and suspend it from the ceiling with ratchet straps attached to eye bolts in the joists. Works a treat. I can work at any level I choose.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies gentlemen... much appreciated. Am not sure what solution I'm going to pursue for this, but it will probably be a combination of these.

Again, thanks for your input.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,887 Posts
Jay, I've used a Pit Bull front stand which lifts from the triple/steering tube, plus ratchet straps for hanging or jack stands under fixed rearsets, but the best way to go is probably with a set of these:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Proph, if you're doing a complete teardown you can get an engine support that will sit on an ATV jack. The frame can then simply be lifted off of the engine as others noted.

Alternatively if you have a front and rear stand you can lower the engine out enough to simply pick the frame up off it and move it aside.

Either way, getting a bolt on engine cradle to support it is best. I made one out of all thread and angle iron but I spent almost as much on material and just buying a real one would have cost lol.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I bought a pair of cheap paddock stands for my Ducati and they worked fine, but when I tried to lift my Busa it flexed so much I ended up buying better ones so it wasn’t a cost savings in the long run.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would make the investment into a quality lift, like Handy produces. You will find that they are extremely useful and built well. I have a hand made gantry that is mobile and quickly attaches to a adjustable cable to suspend the frame. I have found myself with two Handy lifts, one for service and the other for large projects. Good luck.
Uli-

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've got lift tables, Pit Bull stands, and the Abba stand set up. Because the swingarm bolt runs through the rear of the engine for this job, I'd use my 2 ton engine hoist. Use some tie downs to sling it from the hoist and then have at it. Slung from the top you free the engine from the frame with something under it and just lift the bike off the engine. Once the engine is out, you can use the hoist to lift the motor onto a work bench or if you're sending it out, into the back of a vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts