Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a '96 900SS a while ago after reading rave reviews all over the place.

The bike is so awesome. Love how it sounds, how it rides, the character, the looks, all the Ducati stuff (I get it now!). Easily my favorite bike I have ever ridden. As someone who works on his vehicles, I've also been happy with how straightforward the bike is to maintain.

Assuming one wanted to get a little deeper into this Ducati obsession, what would be the next bike I should check out? Trying to decide what I should start saving up for.

Here's some background:

* No superbikes -- I don't really do any track riding and want something I'm actually going to want to ride all the time.
* Not into touring or cruising
* Am 5'9". I tend to like my bikes on the smaller side -- love the size of the 900ss. But that's not a firm requirement.
* Would prefer something that's at least somewhat reasonable to work on, not really a "take it to the dealership" dude.
* Would prefer to keep the price under $10k.
* Not necessarily a speed whore (my 900SS with FCRs is plenty fast to keep me entertained).

Was initially considering an M900, but I'm concerned that it'll be really similar to my 900SS.

Hypermotards look cool, but I worry my lack of inseam will make the ownership experience a bit annoying.

Some of the newer Monsters look awesome, especially the newer, smaller 1200s (though I'll have to wait a bit for those to drop in price). But are they user-serviceable?

I guess my main question is -- I've gotten into the gateway drug of the 900SS (a bike that Ducati guru desmodog rightfully called a great introduction to the brand). What's another quintessential Ducati that would be a great next step?

I realize that there will be a many opinions on this, and that's great. I'm just curious what some of the Ducati lifers have to say about it!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I know you said no Superbikes but a 916 would be a great fit based on the rest of your requirements. Just saying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would also vote for a 748/916/996 era bike.

You already have a comfortable bike in the 900ss.

For me bikes are tools for a job, since you have one job covered you might want to think about a bike that will have a different experience.
Nice thing is that if you buy smart, when you go to sell the bike will end up not costing you much.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have to agree with the others but I would say try out a 998 no rocker problems to worry about,
you have an iconic ducati in the 900 the next iconic Ducati would be a 748-998 bike. Very easy
to work on no (major problems) like the plastic tank bikes and everyone loves them even non riders.
Find one and try it on for size they are small bikes and more comfortable than any sport classic that is
not a GT.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hypermotard 1100s . You can get a lower seat !! Not like your current bike and very easy to service.

And it's pure hooliganism !! Great riding position , great ergo's. If you put a small windscreen on it you can do some light touring.

SBKs are great but when you put "no superbikes" in your conditions I hesitate to suggest them. I prefer the mechanical simplicity of the air cooled anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I second the Hypermotard 1100. Can't beat it as far as versatility.... And you don't have to break the speed limit to have fun on it....which saves you $$$$$ ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts

Monster 1200 S or R,,, Its that simple They are the best motorcycles in the world from a pure riding point of view Its astonishing that these bikes do everything perfect Riding position ( seat / bars/ pegs ) / acceleration / braking / turning / comfort / style / suspension / water cooled / belt change every 18, 000 miles. Other naked bikes may have more HP but none will ever match these works of art. I own both an S sTRIPE and an R , AND THE FUN FACTOR CANNOT BE MATCHED

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have to agree with the others but I would say try out a 998 no rocker problems to worry about,
you have an iconic ducati in the 900 the next iconic Ducati would be a 748-998 bike. Very easy
to work on no (major problems) like the plastic tank bikes and everyone loves them even non riders.
Find one and try it on for size they are small bikes and more comfortable than any sport classic that is
not a GT.
I agree with almost all of this. But I'd still recommend a 916 or 996 along with the 998.

I kinda did the same as the OP but backwards. I got a 996, and it was everything I thought it would be, and a good deal more. It is easy to work on...which is a plus when you're maintaining several bikes in the garage. It is also a plus when you do all your own work.

The Desmoquattro engine is an evolution of the Desmodue when viewed from a purely mechanical perspective. The crankcase is similar, clutch parts are interchangeable as are the tools to work on the basic stuff. It's only slightly more difficult to work on than the air cooled Desmodue.

Riding performance wise, it's all that you describe your Supersport being, only more of it. More of it all over the spectrum. I'm not saying better....just more of everything.

Ergonomically, there's no comparison. The Supersport is much more comfortable for a long day in the saddle. That stated up front, the 996 isn't horrible. I'd say it's no more uncomfortable than my 1st gen GSXR.

It wouldn't be my first recommend for a 2 or 3 hour slog up the slab but once on the back roads, it's a joy to ride. If you spend more time on one or the other, you'd have the perfect tools for both by adding an iconic superbike to the garage.

For a people to bike sizing reference, I too am 5'9" with a short inseam to boot.....sean

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Tanks still an issue on the air cooled hypers?
That's a very good question. I'm too much of a FNG to be able to accurately provide an answer for you.

Myself, I would avoid year/models that were outfitted with the poly tanks altogether. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Tanks still an issue on the air cooled hypers?
Having owned both a 06 Sport 1000 and an 08 1100S Hyper for years the tank
on the Hyper has not been an issue as it's hidden under plastic covers. The
Sport 1000 on the other hand was always a problem from spreading issues
that cause it not to fit, to off gassing under the stripe causing it to bubble
and break etc. I sold the Sport 1000 an picked up a 998 metal tank I told
myself no more plastic tank Ducati's, but I still love the look of the 1299
Anniversario the plastic tank and heat issues are keeping me from buying it
for now.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I have two 748s and have had a 999. I love them, but it sounds like they are not your cup of tea. From the description of your riding, and as many others have suggested, you cannot go wrong with an 1100 Hyper. It meets all of your criteria, plus I'm 5-8 and I can ride mine off highway where I have to dab a lot and sometimes have awkward terrain. That could not be a problem for you just on the street. In addition, if you wanted to adventure ride it, buy some knobs and you are mostly all set.

·
Registered
102 Posts
While just out of "budget", how about a 999R?
Bet they never get cheaper then they are right now....

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I realize ruling out the superbikes isn't popular, but I can't help but think of Desmodog's post on the subject: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/597761-all-these-low-mileage-panigales-2.html#post5881081

Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I want something I'm going to ride all the time!
Our weekly club rides (which are usually about 200 miles) is made up of mostly superbikes. No one complains about being able to ride for several hours on a superbike and we do tons of canyons, mountains, and valleys.

We have a lot of different body types on those super bikes as well, although I would say that everyone is for the most part reasonably athletic and no one is unhealthily heavy. You're 5'9" which makes you better suited to bikes like the 916 gen than taller or shorter people. In the end, I say don't let someone else's opinion make a decision for you. You might end up missing out on some of the best things in life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts