Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So I just finished doing comparison rides of the new Triumph Tiger and the Ducati Multistrada and the Duc won me over. I'm ready to start thinking about price.

The Ducati dealer made it clear that there was room to maneuver on the sticker price ($11995), but without some idea what the margin is on these bikes or how eager they are to get them out the door, I'm at a disadvantage. information is power in these types of negotiations and I don't have any.

Is there an online resource that will give me things like the invoice price and shipping charges? Has anyone gotten a great deal recently and is willing to tell me (and everyone else here) their secret?

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chris..

what year and model are you looking to buy? I'm in Seattle, I don't think you are going to get a major break on that price unless you are looking at an older bike. I don't think Duc gives them much negotiation room. You will probably have better luck negotiating to get some service or extra's thrown into the deal.

Which dealer are you talking to? (feel free to pm me)

scott

ps...I've had two Multi's, and love them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I do not know the particulars concerning the market in the Seattle area, and that can definitely influence the situation.

However, Ducati has a mark-up like any other vehicle. If the dealer wants to move the bike, and only make a marginal profit, Ducati really won't be concerned. If the dealer has obnoxious commercials or advertisements about "blowing them out ", Ducati WILL be upset as it cheapens the projected value of Ducatis.

Many dealers prefer to work the price of the bike itself, and NOT try to negotiate service or parts into the deal because many dealers' departments (service or parts) are almost a separate business from sales.

Try both; see what works where you want to give your business.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not sure if this will be of any help but I thought I'd post it anyway: I bought my 2006 749 this past May and the dealers in my area told me that invoice was $12k (MSRP: $13,995).

Maybe the mark-up on the Multistradas are similar.

Let us know how you make out...I'm interested in getting a Multi next year. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2007 1100 MTS (non-S) for $11200 OTD. I then added had bags and centerstand and that upped the price OTD to $13100. We have about 7% sales tax here in Ohio, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses.

In the past, when buying cars, I've found that if I get my financing all set up ahead of time and walk into the dealership with a check for a reasonable amount over invoice, they generally go for it. It's worth it to them because I've kept their overhead low and they didn't spend a lot of time trying to sell me the car. I'm hoping to do the same with a Multi. Based on Koolio's comment, it looks like markup may be in the 15 - 20% range

I also think there is some downward pressure on Multistrada prices now that they've got some real competition in the Tiger ($1K less). Now it looks like Guzzi's going to get into the game too with their own 1200cc adventure tourer.

There was a LOT of interest in the Tiger when I was at the dealer and the Multi hasn't had a serious facelift in a while. I'm betting Ducati dealers are going to start making deals on them soon.

Your point about the parts and service departments being separate cost centers is well taken. I considered asking them to throw in some side bags, but that's looking more remote now.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm... I never considered the Multi and then I got the itch for the Hyper which has lead me to being completely nuts about the Multi - it's become an oddly beautiful bike and the price is a deal in my mind at list. What do you think a new S would be out the door under this "incentive" the Duc dealers might be feeling to get them out the door?

Wife wants to have another baby and I'm seeing the K1200GT being a waste in the garage for the long distance touring dreams we had last fall with it. The Multi might be an easier alternative for the couple times we'd see two-up touring opportunities... especially after finding that "Desert Multi" on ADV last night - very tempting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts