Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new here. I started riding back in sep. 05 after I took the MSF course. I bought a 2003 Kawasaki 500r to learn on. I was wondering what I should move up too. I don't think I would be ready for a liter bike, but who knows. Seat height is very important.

Anyways I have been looking at the Monster 620 and the 749. As for price I will have to wait to get the 749. Both of these have very low seat hieghts. Actually lower then my bike now. Do you guys have any other sugestions?

·
Registered
84 Posts
First off, congrats on choosing to learn to ride.

Aside from price there are some other serious differences between the 749 and M620. The ergonomics are quite different. The 749 has much lower handlebars, a much harder seat, and much higher foot pegs. This isn't the kind of bike most people would be comfortable spending all day riding. The M620 has a much more upright and relaxed riding position along with a softer seat. Although seriously down on power in this comparision, it is a bike that can be well suited to travel, sport riding, and commuting.

Then there are the price differences. Obviously there is the purchase price difference, but it doesn't end there. The 749 has twice as many valves to check and adjust, so servicing is more expensive. Superbikes have lots of easy to damage and very expensive fairings to replace should it ever be dropped.

This might sound like the 749 is a bad idea. It isn't. It's a wonderful bike, but its best suited for aggressive, sporty riding and track days -- and isn't nearly as well suited for simply riding around as the M620.

If you've got your heart set on a 749, then I'd say keep the bike you have until you're financially ready for the 749 purchase. In the meantime you can keep up the riding practice and maybe even do a track day or two. Or if you wanting a Ducati as soon as possible, then go for a Monster of some kind and enjoy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am considering getting into track days. I really see that happening. I will be riding this bike on a reg. Basis. Though I do not plan to sale the bike I have. The gas milage is just to good. I really just want more power. The thought of knee dragging is a dream. I have not considered the 800 or 100 monster. I just assumed it would be to much of a big jump.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
how much milage and seat time have you put on the Kaw?.......and what style of riding are you currently doing?....and what do you think you'll be doing in terms of style of riding with the Duc?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as of right now I have about 800 or so miles on the kawasaki. I do a lot of street riding. Its cold around here now, but i ride on the interstate a lot to work when its is warm. My favorite things is aggressive back road riding through the twisties.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I say get the 749 for your street bike and use the Kawk for track days and random thrasing. The 500R makes a great track bike, cheap, mechanics that are just about unbreakable, and easy to maintain. If you really want a Monster why the 620? I think that will be way too wimpy for you once you've done a track day or two and learned how to use HP.

Tony

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Remember, if you get a Ducati, you're stuck with us goons here at ducati.ms. Worth the price of admission right there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
IMO, any new rider should put 3000+ miles on a learner bike. Or roughly the equivalent of a year's worth or semi-regular mixed riding. Let me back up. You obviously have a good head on your shoulders. When you wanted to get into riding, you took the MSF course and you bought a GREAT first sportbike. Mad props to you for that decision. But the Ninja500 is also one of the best first sportbikes because it has so much room to grow into. They can really be flogged and are actually a very capable bike when used properly. It's no wonder they were THE lightweight racebike to run prior to the SV650 coming into the class. I think they actually have more room for rider development than an M620. So, I say keep the 500 until maybe the summer. Get some more miles under your belt this spring (800 is a weekend road trip for many guys on this board). Experience the bike in group ride settings, on road trips, get to where you are really using most of what it has to offer on the backroads. While I don't know you, and I'm sure you've come a long way from where you started, there are still mistakes to be made and lessons to be learned. Even make a few maintenance mistakes on a bike whose parts don't cost a small fortune as you learn what parts do what and what brands offer which pros and cons. And, again in my opinion, the 500 is the bike to make those mistakes on. When you do move up (hopefully in another couple thousand miles), keep in mind that most of the Monsters are air-cooled and therefore displacement is not directly comparable to water-cooled supersport bikes in the power category. The 800 powered monsters would be a nice transitional step, and even the M1000 would not be near the ludicrous step that something like a GSXR1000 would be. Good luck in whatever you decide - you've already demonstrated some good sense and great tastes, so you'll be OK!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a dream of ducatis since I can remember. I love bikes with full flairings and considering the 749 is the cheapest and the most practical to go to from a 500. The 620 has only 3 more horses then the bike I have now. The kawasaki has 60

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Justin187 said:
I have a dream of ducatis since I can remember. I love bikes with full flairings and considering the 749 is the cheapest and the most practical to go to from a 500. The 620 has only 3 more horses then the bike I have now. The kawasaki has 60
If you love bikes with the full fairings as you state above ... then DON'T buy the monster ... Buy exactly the one you like, don't compromise.

It seems you have paid your dues by going the right direction: Taking the MSF course, practicing on the learner bike etc ... so if you have done that, and you can afford to own a 749, then by all means get that one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I am looking into getting this bike this time next year. I am not ready to move up yet, but as sson as I get my bike back I will be riding it to work almost everyday. Thats about 75 miles aday. Granted I love my car too but I die every time I see that 749.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like you really like the 749. This is good. Having a passion for a bike you own or will own is great. But 800 miles of street riding experience is not nearly enough for such a machine. 3000 miles was mentioned above and I'd agree that is a good minimum level of experience before even considering the purchase of a superbike made by any manufacturer.

The bike you have is among the very best sporty machines for entry level riders. Your bike is a fantastic learning tool and it would be a pity to ditch it before you got more from it. I'd recommend riding it more and under as varied conditions as possible. Including taking that bike to a track day. Seriously. You'll have a blast and learn more in a day than in months of trial and error street riding.

I've seen guys on bikes not much more powerful than yours passing riders on the latest sporting machinery in the turns. It takes skill and smoothness to ride at a fast and safe pace, not horse power. A small, forgiving sportbike is perhaps the best platform available for learning the fundamentals of good sport riding, without HP mismanagement getting in the way.

Honestly, you'll be a better rider in the long run if you concentrate on the basics now and accelleration later.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. Another year on the 500 while you learn and save up will be just about perfect. By then, you should be just about as ready as anyone could expect, or at least as ready as any outside observer could judge. Then, I'm with Migz - buy the bike you really want. Motorcycles are things of passion. We do it because we love them, not because we have to. So, go with whatever bike blows your skirt up the most. If that is the 749, then find a way to make it happen. You've got the right attitude towards it!

·
Registered
266 Posts
What about a SS?

Did you ever consider a SS? Less expensive than a 749 and handle great in the twisties.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SS no I have not looked at those yet. You have any good links

Also one of the main reasons I am looking at the 749 is be/c of seat hieght. I am 5'5 so I perfer a lower seat.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I also am of the opinion that you should give the 500 some more time. I have put 800 mile on a bike in a weekend before... Its not my regular riding habit but its not many mile. Im my riding experience I have made 2 kinds of mistakes on bikes that caused me to crash. #1 lack of experience. #2 was over confidence. I think it takes atleast one good summer of back road riding to know what you skill level is, and more importantly to have the strength to ride with in that boundary. For me it took a pretty wicked crash to learn that lesson.
With that said have you considered a 748 or possibly even a supersport. Both of these bike are much more bike than the m620 and way cheaper too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
yeah the ss 800 and 1000 are 31 and 32 inches. I would be side saddle. I am fine with that but I would perfer not to more then I am now

Also I can't find any new 748's

1 - 20 of 31 Posts